Trap shooting gun for my daughter question

goldenboy

Hey guys, I have a 15 year old daughter who is going to start shooting for the high school trap team. I have a lot of guns but I am looking for a little "expert" advise on what you would recommend she shoot. This is strictly trap shooting. I am assuming it is from the closest stations. Single shot per target. She is mature so the weight of a gun isn't an issue. She has shot a few deer with a 12 gauge shooting slugs. Here are some potential guns I have for her to shoot.
1. 12 gauge O/U 626 Onyx. Barrel lengths I think are around 26" (not sure)
2. Benelli nova pump 12 gauge
3. 1187 Winchester auto 12 gauge
4. Browning Citori white Lightning 16 guage
5. youth model 870 20 gauge (but this gun is to short for her now.)

Suggestions? Ideas? Thanks in advance for the help. If she likes it and succeeds I might even be open to buying her a gun, but I want to try her on one of these first.

Browning BT-99, a classic trap single.

A dedicated Trap gun is best if she is serious about shooting and so in having the equipment necessary for her to progress and compete.
Always a 12 gauge....light 7 1/2s....Full or IM choke.
Balance is the key rather than weight... and balance and gun manipulation over the standard 100 shots is important. Anyone's arm muscles need worked into shape re competition.
Good glasses, good ear protection, good instruction and then I hope she sees nothing but smokeballs.

IMO, hold off on shooting trap doubles.

Last edited:
I'm assuming you meant 1187 Remington auto.

Out of those guns and if it fits reasonably well, I would suggest the 1187 and it's gas operation for less felt recoil. Nothing will negatively affect a shooter quicker than excessive recoil. Now..,, she may not complain of recoil, but subconsciously, it will take it's toll. If down the road she still seems serious about continuing with competition, then a dedicated trap gun may be worth the investment.

Second, I would find her some light recoiling loads to shoot. Find some 1 oz. light loads (think 2 3/4 dram equivalent) in the 1200 fps or less category. Here again, it WILL make a huge difference.

That's my .02

Last edited:

Out of those guns and if it fits reasonably well, I would suggest the 1187 and it's gas operation for less felt recoil. Nothing will negatively affect a shooter quicker than excessive recoil. Now..,, she may not complain of recoil, but subconsciously, it will take it's toll. If down the road she still seems serious about continuing with competition, then a dedicated trap gun may be worth the investment.

Second, I would find her some light recoiling loads to shoot. Find some 1 oz. light loads (think 2 3/4 dram equivalent) in the 1200 fps or less category. Here again, it WILL make a huge difference.

That's my .02
Correct birdshooter! Remington. I never think of this gun only because I use it to shoot big heavy 3" and 3 1/2" waterfowl loads.

What is the barrel length?

If she's comfortable with the 1187, then I would give it a go. I'm assuming the gun will cycle light loads, but even if it doesn't, your only shooting one shell at a time.

A couple other points to consider are the trigger and the shot placement point-of-aim re to trap specific targets.
If this gun will be for a trap team and competition, both are important.
Field guns may, just may, have comparably poor triggers and will often shoot flatter which is detrimental to trap shooting, in most instances, and for most instructors interested in teaching Registered Trap rather than shooting trap targets.
While semi-autos are very popular and gas guns do reduce recoil, simplicity is an unrecognized plus in shooting....and, light or xtra-light federal soft-shooting papers in a proper weight single should prove no problem to the lass and, in fact, even a plus.
BTs odds -on have a good trigger and are clay specific....another plus here.
I would consider purchasing any Trap gun used.

Trap is absolutely the most inclusive clay game....kids to handicapped to the elderly will be seen on the line competing and smashing clays....most often, with an appropriate Trap gun.
If a need is found for a semi-auto, Berettas have a solid reputation.
One guy I knew used a 390 from local shoots to the The Grand...'course he always took two to the rack on a squad.

I have no doubt your daughter will find a scattergun that works of whatever shape, just look far and positively down the road...and, good luck to her.

Last edited:
Points well taken thornton.

My only suggestion for the 1187 (other than recoil) is to see if she will continue to want to shoot competitively down the road in a year or two. Even a decent used BT-99 will set you back at least a grand or so, and if she loses interest, nothing lost. As for the trap gun specific fit, yes trap guns are set to shoot higher to view the target better over the rib. However, that's nothing a little mole skin on the top of the comb can't cure for the short term.

FWIW

I shoot a 1187 trap gun and really enjoy it, I just sold a bt99 to a kid on our local SCholastic trap team for $600 as I found it in a local shop and I bought it in mind to sell to one of the kids on the team, I paid a little more for it but the kid tried it out and shot it well so I made his dad a deal. I would have her try a few that some of the others may be shooting, also check out the board at local trap, skeet, sporting clays ranges as they usually have a few and there is lots of knowledge around willing to help. Hope you find her a good one.

My son shoots for the Kansas City Crushers. The biggest thing about the gun is fit. Take all the guns to the range and ask a instructor to look at the fit. My son liked my Berrata but the Remington 1100 fit him better.

Greatlawn

Update guys. She shot her first round ever of trap tonight. Crushed her first target! I ended up having her shoot the 1187. Great gun to learn on. She really enjoyed it and can't wait for next week. Looks like this could be a spendy habit, but a fun one to share with your daughter.

That's my .02

I will second, or third, the 11-87. I have one and it is a good shooting weapon. Recoil is nice and it cycles all decent low brass shells. Since you all ready own one it would be my choice

check out the SCTP National Shoot in Sparta IL. We have been the last two years it is an absolute blast. Anytime you get 2000 kids shooting how can you go wrong.

The load we shoot is a 1145fps 1 oz load.

Greatlawn

Well she started out week one with a 5! But last Monday she shot a 15 in windy conditions. She loves it and can't wait for each week to go out and shoot with dad. Great hobby, great sport, we love the time together. By the way she is shooting the 1187 and likes it a lot.

Back