Torn ACL???

henhenROOSTER!!!

Anybody got any experience with this??? Is the surgery & recovery worth the effort with a 6 yr old dog in his bird-hunter prime??? Vet says it is not self-healing & he will never hunt again w/o surgery (will be nearly a yr from now even with it), & he will most likely develop the slow/crippling & painful onset of arthritis even around the yard/house if I don't go thru with it??? HELP :confused:

Anybody got any experience with this??? Is the surgery & recovery worth the effort with a 6 yr old dog in his bird-hunter prime??? Vet says it is not self-healing & he will never hunt again w/o surgery (will be nearly a yr from now even with it), & he will most likely develop the slow/crippling & painful onset of arthritis even around the yard/house if I don't go thru with it??? HELP :confused:

I'd have to gamble on doing it.Make sure you get the right vet.I bet on an otherwise healthy dog that low stress therapy,a little at a time,and often,will have him back in action.Swimming in warm water,easy stretching,and massage would be my plan. Good Luck.

If you search back on the threads, I had a Lab, though young, about a year and half old, had a torn ACL, crippled, I did the surgery, this was 1988, and it was experimental, fiberglass strip through the joint, leg cast, three weeks, weeping through the cast, rejected the fiberglass strip, had subsequent surgery to remove it, more time in a cast. When the cast came off, leg was nearly useless, half the size of the other, three legged pathetic 75# dog. Really disappointing. Then it started to get better, little by little, he put weight on it, just a toe at first, then more, it took 10 months to heal. The dog lived to 14, hunted, never got arthritis, and never took another bad step. i would do it again, based on my previous experience. One thing for sure, I doubt you can live for a prolonged period with a dog crippled in this manner, suffering, without taking some kind of action. In 1988 it cost me 600.00, Lord only knows what it would cost now. Good Luck.

$2500 bucks is the going rate right now & as always I don't have it at all to spare!!! :( :mad:
But will probably go ahead & do it anyway for my bud - best d@#! dog I ever had both hunting & family/household wise, finest out of 25 yrs of labs & training!!! :cheers:

$2500 bucks is the going rate right now & as always I don't have it at all to spare!!! :( :mad:
But will probably go ahead & do it anyway for my bud - best d@#! dog I ever had both hunting & family/household wise, finest out of 25 yrs of labs & training!!! :cheers:

A good friend recently had his 8 year olds ACL repaired. He didn't elect for the stainless plate method but went with the old method of reattachment. Sorry but I cannot remember the proper terminology. He could not be more pleased with the outcome. My buddy undoubtly will get a few more hunting seasons as well as pain free years for his best friend. He did a lot of research and found that the pricing for the surgury varied wildly. Turns out a local vet who was recommended to him by multiple trainers was no where near the most expensive (a LOT less than $2500). Unfortunatly for you this vet is in Zimmerman MN. I say get it fixed but shop around and maybe talk to a few trainers as they get to see lots of dogs and dog people and might be able to point you to a good vet.

Steve
PS I take all my dogs to this vet now.

Last edited:
One of my Goldens has had both done in the last 13 months. I had the TTA done with good results. Hes back to 95% of his old self. Everyone here will tell you to have the TPLO done.
$2500- youre getting off cheap unless thats the procedure only. Best of luck, it will suck for a while

Best wishes for the best possible outcome. YB tore his in what was to be his last year, but virtually every inquiry I made suggested that at 10 years +, it was a bad idea. We hunted together sparingly, but by-gawd we hunted. :)

Most common concern was the anesthetic might have been fatal for him.

Dunno. I will always...always...miss that dog. :)

My yellow lab tore the ACL on left/rear leg when he was around three. The cost of the surgery was prohibitive. He did hunt OK for several years until about age 8, at which time he retired and his "replacement" (black female pup) took over.

He is now 11 and showing his age. Besides the ACL tear, he also has a bad front shoulder, with arthritus in both. I give him rimidyl and a pain-killer called tramadol. He's been a great dog, but is obviously on a down-hill slope.

I'd have to gamble on doing it.Make sure you get the right vet.I bet on an otherwise healthy dog that low stress therapy,a little at a time,and often,will have him back in action.Swimming in warm water,easy stretching,and massage would be my plan. Good Luck.

I agreed with Racho if you can find a pool or a pond that you can get in and support him in thats the best rehab you can do.

When my Cheesie torn his ACL it took about 6 months for about 90% recovery, he was hunting with us in 8 months and thats hard running through mud and breaking ice I sure do miss that boy :(

The wife and I did all the rehab with our Vet supervising never had any problems with Arthritis we basically did a lot of walking up hills and a lot of massaging on his lower back because would get knots on the side of the damage leg, hang in there Rooster it will get better. Like everbody said Find a really good Vet and I would like to say don't base your desicion on the price base it on reputation of the doctor. (thats my two cents)

Good luck with your decision for Chance, Roger. I already gave you the scoop on our operation with Taylor 9 years ago and he was a year older than Chance. Remember, we were able to get him in at the CSU hospital.
POL

Our lab was 8 when he tore both of his. We had the TPLO done at the VRRC in Englewood. Had the 1st one done in Jan. and the 2nd in April. The hardest part was keeping him calm for several weeks after the surgery. When he was given the green light towards the end of summer he was like a pup again and hunted that season along with the next 3.

Best of luck!

Found out my 9 year old lab has partially torn acl. My vets says most vets can do most of the various types of the ACL surgeries. SHE WAS EMPHACTIC that not all vets can do ALL of the different types well. HER recommendation was to go to an orthapedic vet whom specializes in ACL surgeries. The money difference wont be dramatically different ,but they do these surgeries several time daily. YOUR local vet may do one a couple times a month! my 2 cents.
We re not sure what we are going to do, trying massage, and walking rehab to try to keep the rest of the acl tearing. My money for your dog it's worth it, but done right!

Do it!!
There is a program called Care Credit, they will help you if Money is tight, If you dont do it it is like asking a pro football player to live with his knee injury,

remember these dogs are athletes too,:)

Had my old labs CCL done at 8-Years old in 2006. Did the extracapsular (fishing line version) procedure and with a couple nights extra stay it came to $1300.00. TPLO would have been in the $2500 range.

We had our best year on phesants the very next season and I hunted him for two seasons after that. The rest period after the surgery was the toughest. 4-6 weeks of limited activity was hard on that dog.

Rehab took time but was simple. We started out with short 10-minute low impact walks and by summer could easily do 1 1/2 hours or more. After that we switched to swimming for the warm weather months and by October he was ready to go.

Never regretted the expense and have lots of great memories from those last few seasons.

My 8 1/2 year old lab tore hers the night we were packing the vehicle to head to SD pheasant hunting. I decided to try the conservative approach and give her complete rest for 12 weeks straight. I'm pretty bummed out because I couldn't afford the surgery. Because, after resting her for 12 weeks, I can definately tell she'll never be able to hunt again. I'm just hopeful she'll be able to continue to go places with me, maybe walk some along side me while I hunt, go in the boat with me fishing, and take walks like we used to. I'd definately do the surgery if you can, because I see what it's like now after not doing the surgery. She gets along fine, but those ligaments are pretty dang important in those legs...........

Last edited:
http://allwestvet.ca/custom_content/c_30732_acl__cruciate_repair.html

Mine did it coming off the end of the tailgate, I usually don't let them jump off of it but she flew by me and went off the passenger end of the tailgate and I'm pretty sure she did a 90 degree turn in the air and came down on the knee sideways tearing the ACL.

Seems that most dogs that have an ACL injury do it between ages 7 to 9.

I had the Lateral Suture Stabilization (LSS) repair.
The bad news is that I was 2 months into the post-op and I kept hearing a clicking noise (3 days after surgery) the short of the story is she just had it redone last week. So I'm starting all over again.
The vet said it was a product failure nothing that I had had done. He only charged me $300 the second time (first one was close to $1,000)but it's still a pain in the butt. Alot of confinement time.....I had even started water therapy trying to insure a full recovery. I'm like you she's been one of my best dogs and I did a lot of checking around to find the right vet.
I'm still hoping for a full recovery, she goes no where without a leash and a scarf wrapped around her waist for extra support and control.

Here's some info I found...best of luck

http://www.uplandjournal.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard312a/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=2;t=69481;st=0

http://www.michvet.com/library/surgery_cruciate_extracapsular.asp

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2 2084&aid=474

http://dogs.thefuntimesguide.com/2008/07/dog_tplo_recovery.php

http://www.tiggerpoz.com/id8.html

Last edited:
My father's black lab tore his acl when he was 5 years old and just getting solid with hunting. We decided to go with the surgery and we hunted him until he was 12 years old. Recovery after the surgery was the key to him getting back to 100%. He has never shown any arthritis ever on that front leg. It was worth every penny to us. Hope you and your dog have a great future together.

Back