Thumbs Up TO HeviShot Pheasant

wing seeker

If anyone is looking for a superior Pheasant load......JUST TRY
The Hevi Shot Pheasant shells. These babies really pack a
mighty punch. :thumbsup:

I am a true believer that a superior shell can make any shotgun
and shotgunner LOOK GOOD............Good Luck

glad you like the cost of those shells-

I have Hevi-Shot Extra Long Range 3" 1 1/8th 6 shot that doesn't pattern very well at 35 yards out of both of my 20's

my handloads of 1 ounce of mag lead 7 is much better on pheasants

The original Heavi-Shot 12-gauge 2.75" #6 shot marketed by Remington were awsome pheasant loads. They had a density of 12.0 g/cc (10% denser than lead) and were stone killers on wild roosters. I shot them out of an O/U choked Skeet and IC to compensate for the tighter patterns. Can't recall any lost cripples shooting that particular load.

Eventually Remington dropped the environ-metal version of Hevi-shot and started maketing there own high density non-tox loads. Seemed like they focused mainly on the waterfowl market because I had big trouble finding a suitable load of #6's for pheasants offered by them.

After parting ways with Remington the Environ-metal guys started marketing there own versions of Hevi-shot under what I think was the Classic Doubles line. Problem was they started playing around with (to cut costs?) the density of the shot itself. After looking in to the details (they were not making the info readily available) I found these shells had shot with a density that was actually 10% less than lead. Still a pretty good option over steel in places where non-tox was required but not up to par with original version. I soon switched back to lead for situations where non-tox is not required.

A little research on shotgun world indicates the Hevi-Shot Pheasant loads are still the cheaper less dense (9.8 g/cc) version of the product. Disappointing because I loved the stopping power of the original version and being able to use the same load & choke combo in a Walk-in Area or in a federal Waterfowl Production area.

As far as the cost per shell complaints go I don't buy them. How many shells does it take to shoot a limit of pheasants? 3 or 4 on a good day? 5 or six on a tough day? At even $2.50 per shell that is nothing compared to fuel, lodging, meals etc.

DB

The original Heavi-Shot 12-gauge 2.75" #6 shot marketed by Remington were awsome pheasant loads. They had a density of 12.0 g/cc (10% denser than lead) and were stone killers on wild roosters. I shot them out of an O/U choked Skeet and IC to compensate for the tighter patterns. Can't recall any lost cripples shooting that particular load.

Eventually Remington dropped the environ-metal version of Hevi-shot and started maketing there own high density non-tox loads. Seemed like they focused mainly on the waterfowl market because I had big trouble finding a suitable load of #6's for pheasants offered by them.

After parting ways with Remington the Environ-metal guys started marketing there own versions of Hevi-shot under what I think was the Classic Doubles line. Problem was they started playing around with (to cut costs?) the density of the shot itself. After looking in to the details (they were not making the info readily available) I found these shells had shot with a density that was actually 10% less than lead. Still a pretty good option over steel in places where non-tox was required but not up to par with original version. I soon switched back to lead for situations where non-tox is not required.

A little research on shotgun world indicates the Hevi-Shot Pheasant loads are still the cheaper less dense (9.8 g/cc) version of the product. Disappointing because I loved the stopping power of the original version and being able to use the same load & choke combo in a Walk-in Area or in a federal Waterfowl Production area.

As far as the cost per shell complaints go I don't buy them. How many shells does it take to shoot a limit of pheasants? 3 or 4 on a good day? 5 or six on a tough day? At even $2.50 per shell that is nothing compared to fuel, lodging, meals etc.

DB

Classic doubles is a totally different shot then Hevi-shot. It was made to shoot in fixed choke lead shot guns. It's way lighter then Hevi-shot. It's still made by Hevi-shot. Remington started making Wingmaster HD after their parting of ways.

Last edited:

Not denying they aren't quality shells, however no ammo regardless of how it's made will make up for poor shooting. Improve your shooting if you want more birds in the bag.

If anyone is looking for a superior Pheasant load......JUST TRY
The Hevi Shot Pheasant shells. These babies really pack a
mighty punch. :thumbsup:

What was the test you put this through to come to your conclusion?

Not denying they aren't quality shells, however no ammo regardless of how it's made will make up for poor shooting. Improve your shooting if you want more birds in the bag.

Why is it that when someone asks about a certain shell, or comments on one you assume they cannot shoot and ony use them due to lack of skill? Could it be that they are a good shot and just want a quality shell? I use federals, 5 shot, and don't miss often, in case you were curious. Oh, and I do not shoot trap, skeet or any other "practice" techniques. That certainly helps some people, I concider it a waste of my time and money, so I choose not to do it, and just dive right into the actual bird shooting. Hasn't failed me yet

Why is it that when someone asks about a certain shell, or comments on one you assume they cannot shoot and ony use them due to lack of skill? Could it be that they are a good shot and just want a quality shell? I use federals, 5 shot, and don't miss often, in case you were curious. Oh, and I do not shoot trap, skeet or any other "practice" techniques. That certainly helps some people, I concider it a waste of my time and money, so I choose not to do it, and just dive right into the actual bird shooting. Hasn't failed me yet

I use different shells than you, but X2 on everything else you've said:thumbsup:

I believe in horses for courses. I have shot wild pheasants dead with both 2 3/4 inch 20ga., 3/4 ounce 7.5's and used Fiochi golden pheasant 12 ga. 2 3/4 6's with 1 3/8ths ounce or 1 5/8ths ounce, I don't remember which. I won't even get into the way any particular gun digests any particular shell, except to point out that there are a variety of variables. Point is late season heavily hunted spooky birds in open country might well warrant a shell with as much edge as you can get. Birds hunted with pointing dogs which work heavy cover where a bird will hold, can be harvested with a .410, and a careful, skilled shot. I don't see an arguement here, I do see an advantage in having one shell you can use in both nontox and tox areas with confidence makes sense, as does the position that cost per shot is a meaningless consideration compared to the expense of everything else. Besides, it's variety which makes life interesting, otherwise we'd all hunt with a single model shotgun, fire a uniform shell, and hunt over a single breed of dog, while travelling in a single make and style of truck. Nice to get an unsolicited recommendation that these shells worked as advertised.

each to his own--shoot at what ya want to

Last edited:

First of all I was responding to this comment by the original poster:
and shotgunner LOOK GOOD
And that is nonsense. The old saying "It's the Indian not the arrow" holds true in this case. The comment wasn't made at the poster's shooting ability personally, but rather that premium ammo won't make up for poor shooting, plain and simple.

Second, whether you choose to practice or not is your choice and irrelevant, but I can assure you from first hand experience of watching and teaching youngsters how to shoot, that it most definitely does make a difference for most. Not everyone is gifted with a natural ability to hit a flying object with a shotgun consistently without working at it some.

We'll just have to agree to disagree I guess.

Last edited:
Big T have you ever thought of Trap and Skeet shooting is as a Sport. A lot of us find it a very good way to relax after a hard day on the job. Some shooters use it to release their frustrations. There are gun clubs have competitive leagues both summer and winter.Try one and see how great you are at shooting that little clay disk.Trap and Skeet are very useful sport tools and should not be considered strictly a practice tool.........Bob

Big T have you ever thought of Trap and Skeet shooting is as a Sport. A lot of us find it a very good way to relax after a hard day on the job. Some shooters use it to release their frustrations. There are gun clubs have competitive leagues both summer and winter.Try one and see how great you are at shooting that little clay disk.Trap and Skeet are very useful sport tools and should not be considered strictly a practice tool.........Bob

Um, yes I know it is a sport. I have shot them, not the hardest sport out there, yet frustrating. I am glad u enjoy it, I do not. I will go out with friends and waste time and ammo once in awhile, but for the most part do not. My comments were related to two successive threads where the comments were made regarding people's shooting abilities and lack of practice, when there were just general comments and questions made. I loved the looks of the people at the range when I stepped out with my 870. I do not shoot an over and under, and apparently the status quo was to have a very expensive one. To each their own, if you like it do it. I like to shoot birds, all types (as long as they have lungs), some do not, doesn't get me worked up about it. :cheers:

OK boys, we're headed down the wrong path. I believe the intent was to encourage the use of HeviShot. We all shoot as good as we say. Keep personal out of it.

Buy what you want, shoot what you have...pretty simple concept!

I start each season with the best of intent. The best ammo I can afford, the right choke tube, the right shot size, Etc.

By the end of the end of season. I'm slamming anything I can into the gun. My shells are rolling around in every truck/car I have. You can find some king of shotgun shell in just about any pocket of any vest/jacket I own. Shell's, gun cases and hunting gear are everywhere in the house, covering the kitchen table. At that point, it's just a matter of getting after the game. I can kill it with any dang thing I shove in the barrel.

Do what you like, in the end..it's only you that it has to matter to.

Wow, and I thought it was only the waterfowl forums that folks got really going on.....whew. Anyhow, nice to see there's discussions on this forum as well. I'm new to this site, so you'll have to excuse me. I am interested in though on more feedback on the performance of the HeviShot Pheasant loads. The company seems to have suffered a somewhat sour reputation about 5-6 years ago with the waterfowl community when they did indeed decrease the density of the shot in HeviDuck without advertising it, but that has since been changed. All HeviShot is now 12gcc, except the turkey Hevi-13 which is obviously 13gcc. I can't speak knowledgably about the pheasant loads, but when looking for a load that can work for both pheasant and duck on walk in areas where non-tox is required because both species can be taken, I'm definitely interested.

Why are you guys getting all worked up about this? The post is from someone who has 2 posts - both about HeviShot....... obviously a username with an agenda................

Chuck

Back