Thoughts On The Rain Situation...

Point!

It's my opinion that if we don't see some decent rains VERY soon, it's going to have a very significant impact on this year's hatch. Currently this year is as dry as 2001 which was the worst year in decades.

Pheasants need moisture not only for brooding, but for nesting as well. No 18+" tall grass equals no nesting success.

The western half of the state isn't looking very promising at this time. We need some very nice rains in the next week to 10 days or we're in big trouble.

Your thoughts?

Point!

Could be a real horror show, weatherwise. If southeast kansas is getting the torrential rains we are getting in Missouri, we may wash out the nesting season for quail, with diminishing production by pheasants out west, might be a double dip recession, to borrow a term from our government friends.

Could be a real horror show, weatherwise. If southeast kansas is getting the torrential rains we are getting in Missouri, we may wash out the nesting season for quail, with diminishing production by pheasants out west, might be a double dip recession, to borrow a term from our government friends.

Southeast Kansas has been getting hammered by the Spring storms. I was down there last week helping a buddy haul off a building that got blown over in one of the recent storms.

I hope the weather pattern changes so you boys out West can get some moisture, both for the birds, and the crops.

I have family that farm in Ulysses (Southwest) and it's very bad out there. I've been saying for a while now that it's looking bad for next years hunting. I've been praying for a nice soaking rain for quite some time.

Seems like I recall you folks talking about how dry it was in W KS last Spring/Summer too. That sucks. I sure hope you get some relief.

It seems like the rains have been adequate in amount and timing in the area where I live. Let's hope things improve for the folks out W.

Sure hate to hear SE KS is getting so much heavy rain. Just when ya think the quail birds might have a chance at making a comeback.....

Southcentral Kansas has been pretty dry since before the first of the year. We just got .74 this week that will help. But much of the wheat is going to be stunted or may not be able to produce well due to the late timing. The shorter/thinner wheat is going to expose the nesting hen pheasants. There is room for worry here.

I went to Denver for surgery on the 5th. We travel highway 50 to Lamar, then 287 to Limon, then cut west to Kiowa, Elizabeth, Franktown, Parker, then Denver. We left Dodge in extreme high winds(60mph+) and 92 degrees. Ran into blowing dirt that reduced me to 15mph, then wildfires and the temperature was going down most of the time. Before we got to Limon it was 32 degrees and in white out blizzard. Arrive to snow in Denver and 28 degrees.

Mostly bare ground out west.

I think it is a done deal for dry land wheat out west. If they do not get good moisture soon they won't even plant Milo!!!

Western Kansas wheat crop suffering amidst drought Posted on Monday, April 18, 2011

By Rachel Whitten
April 18, 2011

(KansasReporter) TOPEKA, Kan. – Despite rain and snow last week, much of western Kansas remains in a drought, a condition which is harming wheat crops in that area, the National Agriculture Statistics Service reported Monday.

About 42 percent of the winter wheat crop in the state now is rated poor or very poor. Even though storms moved through the state at the end of last week, only 12 of 52 weather stations reported more than an inch of precipitation. The drought began early last fall, according to Justin Gilpin, CEO of the Kansas What Commission.

“Unfortunately that’s the situation for a lot of the wheat in western Kansas,” Gilpin said. “This time of year is when wheat crop needs moisture and those areas just have not gotten the moisture it needs.”

The situation does not bode well for the crop as a whole this year, he said.

“In many areas of the southern plains and western Kansas, the prospects for wheat yields don’t look very good,” Gilpin said.

Wheat has slipped to second place behind corn as Kansas’ most widely planted grain, but last summer’s $1.9 billion harvest remains the United States’ largest.

Farmers: Drought hurting wheat crops

Last significant rainfall event occurred in August.

By Mike Corn - Special to The News

MONUMENT - Neither rain, nor sleet, nor gloom from mud-covered windows could keep a farmer and his now mostly brown John Deere tractor from discing under 180 acres of wheat that could only be seen upon close examination.

And never mind the blowing snow one recent day, the disc pulled behind the tractor was throwing up dry dirt clods as a cloud of dust followed behind - quickly pushed to the south by winds gusting as much as 45 mph.

----------advertisement-----------

He didn't want to give his last name. "Just Steve," he said, as he kicked at the ground, pointing out rows of wheat - a smattering of small plants that had only recently emerged.

They, as had other fields in the western third of Kansas, had fallen victim to a lack of rain.

"In August," Steve the farmer said of when his field had last received any significant rainfall. "This is nonsense."

In the area where he was plowing under the wheat, less than 3 inches of moisture has fallen since Aug. 5.

Although he hails from closer to Colby, about 25 miles to the north of the field he was discing under, Steve said the crop has struggled since it was planted. It's not much different in the Colby area, either.

But when asked what he plans to do with the field, he was straightforward:

"Haven't decided," he said, turning aside the idea of planting milo. "Depends on if it rains or not."

The 180-acre field that he was discing wasn't covered by insurance, he said, adding that other wheat in the area was spotty at best.

It's that way throughout the western tier of counties, according to Sunflower Extension District agriculture agent Dana Belshe, who hailed the moisture left behind by recent blizzard conditions in Goodland.

Early reports put the moisture content of the "wet snow" at about 0.8 of an inch, which he said would boost the crop.

"Nice blizzard," he said. "We're happy with the moisture."

Wheat conditions in the three-county district he serves are spotty, Belshe said.

"There's a lot of variability in the wheat," he said. "It just depends on who got the spots of moisture."

Conditions in the Goodland area, as well as much of the western third of Kansas have been unusually dry since August - the last time any significant moisture was recorded.

"We haven't had much moisture this winter," Belshe said. "I think I only scraped my driveway a couple times this year."

He's not willing to write off the crop just yet, however.

"If we have moisture, we could have a decent crop," Belshe said. "Not a bumper crop."

Kansas State University wheat breeder Joe Martin is confident of that.

"We're going to have quite a bit of late-emerging stuff," he said, adding that he's already been told of crop adjustors zeroing out wheat fields.

"Even that that came up in mid-winter doesn't have a chance to yield much," he said.

While the crop in Hays continues to hold on, Martin said continued dry weather could turn that around fast.

"We could be in the same condition right here if it keeps going like this," he said.

But it's going to need plenty of moisture, and a quarter of an inch won't help much once temperatures warm again.

Some fields in the area were already dropping leaves and tillers, shedding anything extra just to survive.

"It's amazing how long it can just hang on," Martin said of the crop. "I'm sure we're hurting the yield. We should be growing like mad and putting on more tillers. But that ain't happening."

I have been interested in training a couple of beagles for a couple of years now. I want to have something to hunt over dogs with my boy as he gets older. I'm afraid my shorthairs will not see as many birds over the next few years as my dogs have over the last ten.

Things don't look promising at all for birds next year. Down here, we had 18" of snow and subzero temps for several days. I have a pretty good ranch to hunt quail on, but I'm afraid they really took a hit.

We finally got rain here in NE OK, but some got WAY too much. Turkey hunted out in western OK two weeks ago. DUST BOWL dry. Never seen anytning like it before.

It gets harder and harder to justify having bird dogs every year. As much as I love it, It's starting to wear on me.

Last edited:
I live in Missouri, but just about 15 miles northeast of Pittsburg, Kansas. We haven't got near the rain here as they have 30 miles south. I think I've got 1" of rain in the last week or so, just perfect for keeping the garden going. 30 miles south, they were seeing near record flooding a couple days ago. Table Rock lake is seeing record flooding.

Easter weekend I went home to Wilson County to try my luck on a gobbler, dad and I hunted some river bottom ground my buddy owns, they had planted it that week and it was still solid under foot. I think the further south and east (oklahoma/kansas/missouri border) it is a lot wetter.

Cheesy,

You are a little too far out to smell the Frontenac Bakery when the wind is out of the SW. Is the Arma Bakery still going?

Yeah, I don't know of any bakerys. About the only thing you hear about Frontenac is Poluka's meat market and Frontenac's ties, to, well you know....

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't know of any bakerys. About the only thing you hear about Frontenac is Poluka's meat market and Frontenac's ties, to, well you know....

I am sure the "natives" said, "There goes the neighborhood" when I moved in. They let me stay for a couple years though.:)

I sure need to get down there one of these years.

I just got back from KC. Went the north route during the night going to KC, so nothing to report that way, but came back today the south route and saw no flooding or fields that could not be planted.

Left NKCMO and the Missouri River bottom was planted and up in places. Down I35 to Emporia and a lot of corn in the ground and some up to four inches tall. Same thing from Emporia to Hutchinson. From Hutch west to Dodge lots of irrigation going on wheat. Some fields planted and some planters in the field. From Newton west to Kinsley there were a lot of recently burned fields which looked like grass fields. I suspect most, if not all, were expiring CRP contracts going back to farmland.

The reps in NRCS offices in Ness and Finney county both told me almost all CRP contracts that were expiring were being offered for renewal. I have been out there every weekend and haven't seen that much thats been worked up. My friend has two quarters in CRP and he renrolled them for 15 more years. I think that is one blessing in disguise of the dry weather, there isn't much chance of them growing a crop on the CRP this year due to being so dry, so another reason to reenroll.

The reps in NRCS offices in Ness and Finney county both told me almost all CRP contracts that were expiring were being offered for renewal. I have been out there every weekend and haven't seen that much thats been worked up. My friend has two quarters in CRP and he renrolled them for 15 more years. I think that is one blessing in disguise of the dry weather, there isn't much chance of them growing a crop on the CRP this year due to being so dry, so another reason to reenroll.

Glad to hear of the re-enrollment in Ness & Finney. Some of those fields I saw along US 50 that were burned may be required burning for interseeding forbs and legumes for re-enrollment. Will see the next time through if they have been plowed or interseeded.

Back