The End?

Thanks guys. My grif is still out of commission but I have a couple other hunters with dogs that might be willing to enjoy the snow. Tough going but usually if you find one bird in these conditions you find quite a few.

Cold weekend but hardly any wind. It made short hunts very doable. The snow definitely wore us out a little quicker. Typical late Season pheasant hunting on public land. Wild flushing but some holding extremely tight. Key is not to speed up on the birds that flush ahead. Stay patient and let the dogs work. 12285A52-240A-4AFF-A71A-4B21EE7DE70E.png

Gave it a shot yesterday just cuz I felt bad for my dog being cooped up for a week. Pretty extreme walking, legitimately thigh to waist high snow everywhere in the large cattail area I tried, not just the windblown sides, etc. Was hard for the dog to even work as the snow was fairly fluffy and was higher than he stands and he's a 75 lb lab.

Gave it a shot yesterday just cuz I felt bad for my dog being cooped up for a week. Pretty extreme walking, legitimately thigh to waist high snow everywhere in the large cattail area I tried, not just the windblown sides, etc. Was hard for the dog to even work as the snow was fairly fluffy and was higher than he stands and he's a 75 lb lab.
That's really deep!

Sometimes it isn't the calendar that says the season is over. I hope you fellas that have, are and will, get pounded by snow with wind, manage to get a decent amount of carry-through for next season's chase. Only a bit of snow here so far, but once the temps drop below zero tonight, it might be Sunday before we next get above zero. Chances of snow, but I don't think our birds are in trouble with these conditions....yet. At this point I am assuming I will be hunting the last 2 weekend of season in January, but that could change.

Cold weekend but hardly any wind. It made short hunts very doable. The snow definitely wore us out a little quicker. Typical late Season pheasant hunting on public land. Wild flushing but some holding extremely tight. Key is not to speed up on the birds that flush ahead. Stay patient and let the dogs work. View attachment 4875
Very good advice, slow down when you see birds flushing, there is always those who hold tight in hopes you blow on by. My dad always said the rooster would goose the hens to make them flush drawing the dogs away from him.....lol

Cold weekend but hardly any wind. It made short hunts very doable. The snow definitely wore us out a little quicker. Typical late Season pheasant hunting on public land. Wild flushing but some holding extremely tight. Key is not to speed up on the birds that flush ahead. Stay patient and let the dogs work. View attachment 4875
Good looking dogs! Was that Western ND?

Pretty insane out there since yesterday afternoon. Supposed to continue into tomorrow. Thankfully looks like a reprieve coming next week, sure hope that lasts several weeks!

windchill.jpg

There was 2-4” yesterday which puts us around 50 for the last 5 weeks. So anytime it blows like it is today (35-45), it’s basically impossible to travel.

I know many of the folks on this board are hard core “ GOER’S” when it comes to hunting and travel for some roosters. This last month plus had been hard for many of us as the weather has been stifling I haven’t hunted once since late November, as it hurts me physically!!!!
Frankly imo the way winter winter has begun what ever you do for a farmer friend for habitat, donate to PF, or DU makes a difference to the wildlife . Share some of what you have for our kids future opportunities. Merry Christmas!

Up here in SE ND (family not a hunting trip). Boy is there a lot of snow. Most sloughs in the Alex-Fergus area (viewed from I94) and SE ND are filled up pretty high with snow. Willows and evergreen shelter belts are needed more than ever this winter.

I have been out of town a few times now and there are birds out there. Some hilltops are opening up in bean fields. I am at least somewhat optimistic although the long term forecast for next month doesn't look quite as good.

Back