The dangers of conibear traps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on guys.. This is NOT about anti-trapping. You can twist it anyway you see fit, but it's simply NOT about that.

Learning how to release a 220 is good and I think everyone should become familiar with it, however this is about prevention not the cure.

The old saying "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" I think speaks volumes here. The cure being how to remove the trap, and prevention being how to prevent it from happening in the first place.

I'm afraid if things are left as they are now then we will be right back to where we left off. The next time a dog is caught and or killed and it hits the news, more bad PR and trapping's image is tarnished once again in the eyes of the public.

What we need is for the Trappers association and the DNR to come together and find a solution that works for all parties. Until that happens it's status quo.

I agree 100%, and the little things I mentioned would do just that. With out banning the use of any. Now how does the world come togeather on it? I don't know. But there has been a push for anti trapping all together for years. That is most definatley happening all over.
And please, friends,(every one) try to remember that when reading something, it does not mean the poster is attacking, or mad, or defensive etc. As long as we don't refer to eachothers names and actualy name calling and so on. This can truely be civil. I apoligise if I came accross wrong. I did not intend to. Thats why I say no offence. :) I have merged these two togeather. I am trying to find the old one on trapping with the info to set or remove such traps. There is great info there somewhere and good photos etc. I will try to find it and hook this up as well. Since it is older and many may not have seen it.

Last edited:
:thumbsup:OK, I did the test so if every one is still looking here is a pic. And sorry to those that feel again I am in the wrong for sticking up for my life long love and freedom.
Any way I used a bolt cutter with 10" handles. It cut through the frame of the trap like butter. The spring wrecked the bolt cutter. I went to a 30" handle big boy, and it made short order of the spring. So, If you wish to carry one around, I recommend a 8-10" handle in a good quality bolt cutter. They are relatively small and light weight. it would take about 5 seconds to do. So it would work if any one wants one in the vest. I doubt people will, but it's an option. It weighs about the same as a water bottle or less. A side cutter, or line-mans pliers will not touch it. Nor will a 12 gage round at point blank. So do not try the gun trick. You will just make things drastically worse. If you have one in the truck. It certainly is better then running any distance to get a gun and shoot the dog.:thumbsup:. Here is a pic of the actual size and trap in ?. No it is not that big, thats my wallet. There also is the tag, that any one who traps must know about, would, and should not be with out. I don't know a trapper without that knowledge. You will run in to a GW while trapping, and he will look for tags. These are copper, and are rolled up most times. But very readable and durable. Now I would cut at the corners of the frame as shown in arrows. If you cut both sides of the frame, the trap is no longer causing any pressure at all. You can cut it the same speed as a hedge clipper basically. Very quick, and faster then setting one, which takes a few seconds longer. Way more then enough time to get a dog out. you should have several minutes. It is not instant death to any thing, nor is any trap. And in most cases with a dog, it is on the head and not the neck. Which gives way more time and more of an inconvenience, like the trespasser that had his dog in my trap. He actually walked the dog 2 miles, got in his car, drove 10 miles to the vet, who un sprung the trap in seconds, un harmed, I have his name.
In this pic you can see the spring on the side squeezed and the hook that holds it in its harmless position.
DSCN0540.jpg

Last edited:
You have talked over and over about people being in areas where they shouldn't be and trespassing. What about people that are hunting legally on PUBLIC land? I fully understand the need for trapping - I really do, and I value your rights to do that which you enjoy. My problem is that I don't think these two activities can exist on public land at the same time. As a hunter, I am not bothering your trapping if we are in the same legal area, but as a trapper, your trap is a danger to my dog. There is no way to make it totally safe for someone with a hunting dog - period. I have a small english cocker spaniel - around 25 pounds - what do you think the chances would be of her living thru a meeting with a 220?

My recommendation is that trapping can only be done on any public land OUTSIDE of hunting seasons. Private land is another situation - trapping can exist all they want if they have permission from the owner. Then, it is up to the regular hunter to stay away from trap that are legally marked if they also have permission.

We can all coexist together - just not at the same time on the same land - it won't work.

No - tell me why this is unfair and won't work.

You have talked over and over about people being in areas where they shouldn't be and trespassing. What about people that are hunting legally on PUBLIC land? I fully understand the need for trapping - I really do, and I value your rights to do that which you enjoy. My problem is that I don't think these two activities can exist on public land at the same time. As a hunter, I am not bothering your trapping if we are in the same legal area, but as a trapper, your trap is a danger to my dog. There is no way to make it totally safe for someone with a hunting dog - period. I have a small English cocker spaniel - around 25 pounds - what do you think the chances would be of her living thru a meeting with a 220?

My recommendation is that trapping can only be done on any public land OUTSIDE of hunting seasons. Private land is another situation - trapping can exist all they want if they have permission from the owner. Then, it is up to the regular hunter to stay away from trap that are legally marked if they also have permission.

We can all coexist together - just not at the same time on the same land - it won't work.

No - tell me why this is unfair and won't work.

:thumbsup::cheers: There thats better, LOL. Well if what I said is implemented, the 5' off the ground rule, on public land works fine.
I run springers so I am aware of the size thing. A big lab or chessie will not even be able to get the head in the darn thing. I have discussed the public land thing a few times. That is the only place it should be an issue, or road right of ways. Now, trappers as said need to travel, so to have a 5' off the ground rule eliminates most of the WPA's and public land right there. You will have to have a dead fall or tree etc to place the set in. Now a trapper wanting to cover ground is not going to pull in a parking lot and walk out to the middle to a tree to place one. And if he does, it is up safe. They simply will not do it though.
To make a trapper go when season is closed to you, is not going to pan out either. Again lack of trapping knowledge. The fur, for those that do not know, has to be "Prime" as they say. Early, the fur is not prime, the skin is blue. Late, and the critters, coon being the main one, are denned up, like a bear. So you have thousands in time, effort, work, and gas for empty traps. The season is going on at the same time. That will never change.

So this is tricky, a small change in the wrong way, can and will stop trapping all together. People have had strong protests for years and years against trapping, it is not new. So when this pops up from some story in a news paper, trappers go, "God, here we go again":rolleyes:. They have protested every trapping convention for years. I have been there.

As said above, this rule on public land does protect dogs. And most of this happens in in the north grouse range. Thats where grouse hunters, and trappers are in the woods together. There is thousands of miles of gravel roads in rural MN with no bird cover or trees any where. There are no hunters, there are no birds. There is small creeks, etc full of coon. So change for those trappers ruins the trapping.
Now here in wst cen MN the cover is abundant. Public land, many will not offer a spot to place traps 5' off the ground. There is no trees. But thats fine. Trappers do recognize these areas as hit by humans hard. Highly avoided by them, because they don't want the set messed with. Every set discovered will be destroyed by people. Some reading this might just have done that?;) No?. Well good. But it happens to any set found. It truly does. They are stolen, or just pulled and tossed in the weeds where a trapper will not find it. That is the reason, in most of the whole state, but northern grouse ranges, you will not find this trap on public land. We don't want your dogs.

I have talked to several trappers that have trapped for 50-60 years. Never, ever have they caught dogs. Thats a long dang time to never have that accident. And most state wide, will say the same thing. Again pointing out just how rare it truly is. 99.9% of the time, where a trapper sets is where a dog will not go hunting, nor will you. unless the individual is one that walks road ditches. That is where trappers do much of the trapping or close to a road, on private land, so he can see it as he drives by. Also, farm roads where access is easy to drive out to be able to see the set, or short walks. Time is important, in order to have several sets out. It just does not pay for them otherwise these days. Creek crossings, tile washouts, tiny culvert streams, dredge ditches, river bridge areas. Abandon, or even lived in farm sites with old barns, buildings etc. Wooded edges with highly visible varmint paths leading to food, like corn.

So if the rule is applied to place them off the ground on all public. And no hunting or trapping road right of ways with out permission. Will solve the problem, if you ask, and follow the law.

The trapper must be able to use them on the ground on private land .. If not, it will be no more trapping basically. I would never trap again but at home, to control varmints here.

Now if the gov, or some very wealthy person wants to trade all the 220's for live traps I think we could work something out. Live traps are very expensive and not affordable for trappers setting long lines to make some money. For the pest control guy sure. He gets paid good for getting rid of urban problems mainly. But to buy say a hundred traps at 40 bucks a piece is well again not cost effective. I would gladly hand them over for Live traps at a certain size in a gov program. Say Bring in a 220, and we will give you a live trap for every 220. or even 2, 220's for one live set. I would use those. You just need to dispatch the animal with a 22 or something. So that would also be an option, but who would foot the bill?

For a trapper to have to pay thousands for new traps, while throwing away thousands he paid already, will again ruin him. And he will be done.

So there is two easy ways to do this, one costs the state a bunch of doe, or fund the exchange with our pheasant stamps etc. Or the 5' rule on public only, with permission only, for "everything" including hunting, on road ways or private, still allowing any of the present ground sets. Those are the only real ways this works for both concerned sides.

Last edited:
FC, thanks for carrying out the experiment. Just put the bolt cutters on my tab.

I know your a biased trapper................. but also a biased bird hunter, ...............and a biased hound hunter.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
FC, thanks for carrying out the experiment. Just put the bolt cutters on my tab.

I know your a biased trapper................. but also a biased bird hunter, ...............and a biased hound hunter.

Thanks again.

LOL, I guess you could say that.:cheers: So there is ways we can do this. I have done it to my self for years, LOL. Bringing up that point, back in the hound days when many house holds in rural country had hounds. Hounds men and trappers co existed.:thumbsup:

I don't fret too much over traps...snares bother me as any Joe will set those to keep coyotes from their deer.
A true trapper normally has standards and ethics as to setting and checking traps....deer hunters, not so much in this area.
Hopefully, if a dog does get in any trap then I can get it out in time before death or physical damage results.
Irregardless, that trap will be one that I will never have to fret over again.:thumbsup:

By god take away trapping all togeather then... said:
Same can be said of your anti-hunting,anti-public use position regarding the use of public rights-of-way.

Stop bird hunting on public ground at 2pm and have traps checked by 8am with no setting again until 2pm. Not the greatest idea but better then taking all the trappers rights away like some want to do.
Dog gets in a trap I call it s### happens. You going to ban cars during hunting season to? Lots of dogs get hit by cars.

Same can be said of your anti-hunting,anti-public use position regarding the use of public rights-of-way.

U bet, your 100% right. But if you look into the road hunting threads on here it is well documented that I fought that idea tooth and nail as well. Don't think for one second I like saying it here. I am willing to stick a knife in my own back to keep all sportsmen enjoying the out doors....

Last edited:
I have resisted till now, but I have had hunting dogs for long many years, I trapped as a youngster. I have never caught a dog in a connibear, nor have I had a dog caught in a connibear. I also hunt my dogs in areas with rattlers, and have never had one bit, despite many a meeting. Me, snake, and dog went seperate ways with no fatalities, I have a thing about wanton destruction of any living creature without cause. Besides, I don't hunt snakes and neither do my dogs. Some of the horrific accidents and injuries I read about, and we discuss here amaze me. Frankly, I consider a dog stupid enough to get trapped, or dumb enough to tackle a coiled rattler, just a casualty of the law of survival of the fittest. Just natures way of pruning the stupid from the gene pool. Maybe we should have yet more seminars, where we snake-proof and trap sensitize the dog all at one gathering. we could even set 220's with a rattler on the other side and encourage bowser to go for it. Bet he won't do that again! Or I guess we could raise smarter dogs. We now coddle the dogs like we do the kids. We worry about every minutia, or possible calamity. Are we going to live our lives or retire to our beds and hunker with our dogs under the sheets. A lot of old time, big time, hall of fame pointers and setters lived the off season staked out with a chain living in an old barrel and eating kennel ration biscuit and kitchen scraps. Conditions we would consider inhumane today. Yet they lived same length of time, had virtually no dysplasia, eic, hypothyroidism, bad elbows, survived in a world of cars, traps, dangers, all the things we deal with today, The modern dog is at risk because we quit valueing soundness, sense, bird finding ability, and lest I forget handle, focused on single attributes like color, "prey drive",( my current favorite buzz word, sounds like vernacular for an SS guard dog), while likely ignoring other equally important traits. So I say trap where you want and it's legal. All you guys whose dog is at risk, be aware and prepared, same for all you guys who's dog is hunting two farms over from the one you have permission to hunt,running among the livestock, or the ditch hunters who's dog gets mowed down by a car. Make your choices and take your chances. Life is messy, we can't turn the world into an antiseptic enviornment for you, it's not the disney channel, despite attempts to make it so.

just another thought, I'll bet the number of dogs shot by their owner or his dimwitted friends dwarfs the number of witless hounds trapped by conibear traps. I'll even wager that more dogs are run over by their owner in their own driveway, than caught by conibears by some frightening number.

Just a simple question

If you know a area has traps set, would you still hunt it with your dog?

Always interesting to read tough guy talk in the morning....the napalm smell of the message boards, I reckon.
I mentally shiver and shake in response.

For my own thought and as I said, I fret very little about traps.
Saw some in Iowa and have seen a washed out and nearly illegible sign indicating one was set at the parking pull-off of a public hunting area in Pennsylvania...I took pains to watch my setters any time my notice is so drawn, as that appeared to make sense.
If I had a dog that blundered into a trap tho, afraid I don't rate dogs as lowly as some as to their intelligence and traps, I would have worked to free the dog and then proceeded to reduce the trap to the equivalent of kindling wood to pass about the town.
Had someone taken offense to the trap's state then I would have paid for it and done exactly the same were it to occur again.

A hunting dog's life is indeed tough...traps in a very few areas, cars near some, sticks in all, fences in many, wolves in more and more....had a friend's dog crack a windpipe on a fence....stuff does happen.
We should all work through it w/o too much animosity to the professional or ethical hobby trapper while also recognizing the increase in many areas of "trappers" termed in use of equipment only.
Deer hunters in some deer areas are running snares for coyotes more often and a snare bought cheaply and set easily and often checked seldom is little mentioned. Even the so-called "safe" snares that may not throttle as surely or completely but may well cause other physical damage to a scared pup. Same as with a jawed trap...in the event of a bad contact with my dogs, the snare would be history.
Ah, well....the "trapper's" loss at that point concerns me not a whit.
Nor does some imagined collective loss to hunters/hunting in general....many more important dangers there as well than misplaced anger to all who trap wisely.
Trappers do a wonderful service in reducing nest predators in the Apps, moreso in the Past....'course the deerhunters do the opposite by having deer feeders whir 365 in feeding raccoons, skunks and possums...heck, maybe they are both in cohoots. Hmmmm.

Pups get hurt down many paths and the wise hunter blessed with a dog is alert and vigilent to many dangers....traps are but one of the minor ones.
But one for which the extremists and tough guys on both sides of the issue love to toot their message board horns.

Be careful afield, respond as you deem necessary, take responsibility as required and hunt on.
To a large degree we have to blindly assume and pray that any legality of action afield is accompanied by a large measure of ethics and a small measure of selfishness.
With traps, et al.
Not much any other way around it.

Last edited:
:DOld Dub, you make the point that I try to get across all the time. I for the life of me, on any subject. Ask, why automatically, everyone thinks a poster is a tough guy, mad, fighting or what have you?.:D
:cheers:;) Why can't typed words be a perfectly calm person on the other side, simply trying to discuss a subject, LOL. All threads, and posts can be narrated by someone in many tones. Most seem to "Assume the worst" is all. I think we need pink bunny smiles,:) And from now on I am printing in pink.:D

FC, you have to look at this in a wider spectrum. Trapping is a very limited participation sport. You may feel comfortable running your dogs where traps may be set but a vast majority would not. State, county and such lands are multi use public lands. IMO, chance encounters with traps could be a growing concern with more and more people using these lands. A growing population only increases these chances.

OK, so why should it be one group per say that just gets to decide, well, this is how it is going to be. Again I have said many times that there are ways for all tax payers to be able to use the land, and this is so blown out of proportion it's not funny any more. It has gotton ridiculous. Hunter numbers and trappers have actualy declined, yet public land acres rose.
:cheers:

Why should we let the trapper take the hit, what kind of message does that send. Something like 7% ? still active in the hunting side of the outdoor sports.

A quick search will find 3 threads discussing this same issue. How many more are going on with no discussion, just negative.

Trapping poses no real threat to me, but still feel the need to talk about. Why? Truth, education, alternate opinion.

You let the 220 go , what's next?, snares,.... trapping. There will be a new target. Will it be yours? Maybe.

So I say. Understand it...... defend it. Try it..... recruit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back