The dangers of conibear traps

Status
Not open for further replies.
didn't come on here to tell stories, not PETA in disguise.
Raise the 220's, not foolproof but a little safer. Maine, New York, the list goes on have this reg in effect ---for yrs. Trapping season starts one month into grouse and ends 3 months after it. Anyone wants to come trap my 30 acres of lowlands while I'm up grousing go ahead. Course I'll be back home when trapping season starts, because the 220's will be set up in the public land. So I guess that's a no. Private land is private land, you want to set off landmines to get the coons go ahead. And please don't tell me that 5' is unreasonable, my deck is 10' high and they scale that.
Not asking for extreme scenarios here, just a compromise. Not trying to make it my world. I don't agree with roadhunting, shining, etc. but if that's the way you gotta hunt, just stay on the other side. Twenty some states have some type of reg on the coni's. Trapping is not tightly regulated, in some states you can't trap on public land. Wouldn't it be smarter for the trappers to offer a realistic compromise to pacify people like me than have everybody jump their stuff? I respect peoples deer stands and traps when I see them in the woods....SOME trappers can't respect my dogs? KUMBIYA:D

Looking back, I did say 5' on public land. OK go out to Grant CO, swing on down to Fairbault and some other farming comunity's. Then take a look around for something to stick a trap up 5' in the air on. Nothing for miles but drainage ditches and abandon farm areas culverts and so on. That is where it is impossible. Actualy thousands and thousands of acres that in fact would be impossible. Would you have the trapper haul the whole Menards store around to construct towers every mile to trap on.:rolleyes: Seems to me this is mostly a Grouse woods hunter issue. Maybe the 5' rule on public land north of a certain high way. The Grouse range comes down to about me, and thats it. Draw a line accross the state from est to west and make the rule apply accordingly. The hunters also, if you read around, get up tight when the trappers make sugestions. Seems they think it should be a one way street to their happyville. As both, I think the solution is easy, safe, and fair for both. However it will keep city hunters and some others, from raod hunting any more.

Last edited:
I think still the best thing for you that are worried sick about your dog in a Conibear, carry a little hacksaw. The traps appear to be a fairly soft metal.

Wildlife Management Areas are just that, being managed for coyotes and raccoons as much as for game. Ending trapping on WMA's is anti hunting. Predation is the main reason for the lack of pheasants on WMA's within the pheasant range.

Smiths interviews with dog owners who have lost a pet, is simply a anti trapping extremist interviewing another anti trapping extremist. So transparent.
All staged stuff. Kinda funny, like if I interviewed 4 people that have been visited by Martians, :eek: Reckon some folks would be convinced.:eek:

FCspringer stated -The 220 is the most humane trap - meaning that it does it's job quickly - in other words, it is made to kill that animal caught quickly. So, a hacksaw would do little good if the 220 was really that humane.

I wish I could say more about the second part of your post, but it would get deleted or editted again. So, I'll keep my mouth shut.

I think still the best thing for you that are worried sick about your dog in a Conibear, carry a little hacksaw. The traps appear to be a fairly soft metal.

Wildlife Management Areas are just that, being managed for coyotes and raccoons as much as for game. Ending trapping on WMA's is anti hunting. Predation is the main reason for the lack of pheasants on WMA's within the pheasant range.

Smiths interviews with dog owners who have lost a pet, is simply a anti trapping extremist interviewing another anti trapping extremist. So transparent.
All staged stuff. Kinda funny, like if I interviewed 4 people that have been visited by Martians, :eek: Reckon some folks would be convinced.:eek:

If one of you catches a martian or a chupacabre in a 220 conibear I sure hope you get pictures!

FCspringer stated -The 220 is the most humane trap - meaning that it does it's job quickly - in other words, it is made to kill that animal caught quickly. So, a hacksaw would do little good if the 220 was really that humane.

I wish I could say more about the second part of your post, but it would get deleted or editted again. So, I'll keep my mouth shut.

No, I doubt any one will delete your post unless it is name calling again and so on. Like we discussed already, it is fine to disagree, and debate while getting ones point across. If it's the part about people that hunt rural areas that come from town, or city's to walk road ditches, I guess if it's taken wrong by you, sorry for that. Basically if someone lives out in the country on a farm, they walk the land, not typically the roads. Thats just common knowledge. Many travel to SD/ rural MN from metro or urban areas to just do that. Or should I rather say non land owners. I see them do it all the time. They just do not like wasting time asking I guess. That is one of the areas a dog and trapper can be united. So my point is if you need permission, you now avoid the issue. Right?
Sorry about any post that got deleted for calling another member small minded. It was never edited. Lets ask what solution do you have compared to the solution I outlined above?
Yes, in fact the most humane harvest on any game,any where is the best way. I don't know any deer hunters that deliberately shoot the feet off first. However with knowledge, a dog can be removed from any trap in time if you know how to deal with it. If the restriction is 5' on public land, and you can not walk a right of way with out permission, and ask land owners, what more would be needed?
Trappers could say they wish to have no hunting with dogs as well. That should solve problems too. But is it reasonable? No. so people should not expect the trappers to stop using one of there tools completely either. The fact is there is a simple solution which includes the use of 220's. I would be willing to let someone come here and show examples of sets and how to use traps.

Last edited:
I know that 220's are pretty stout to open up but wouldn't a few 12 or 20 guage shells at point blank range do a pretty good job on it and allow it to be opened up?

If you shot the coil at the end maybe. The steel is very hard and you may just pound it into the ground or simply break it. I wouldn't advise trying it unless a dog was in trouble.

I would not count on any cheap bolt cutter. I would highly recommend, going out to buy a 220 trap at Fleet farm or what have you. Pay for it. And learn how they work. You could try a bolt cutter but the spring is hardened spring steel "I think". I tell you what, tomorrow after work, I will try a bolt cuter on one I have (gone tonight), and report on it. I am sure one will work, but not sure on a small one like that. My guess is if you can squeeze that bolt cutter, you can unspring the spring any way. A bigger bolt cutter will for sure dice one up. You see people use them on padlocks all the time. But how big of one would you carry. You would want to cut the spring, then all pressure is released. I had my hand in them many times rushing at sets. I was able to get my self out with one hand un scathed. So Once you learn, you can do it. If 50% of the hunters knew how or more to un spring a trap, the rare accident would be much more rare as well. I dont doubt some fictitious stories will always go on until no trapping or hunting at all is accomplished by some.

Last edited:
U don't need to cut a trap on my account. Just trying to get people to think about what might actually work. I think I could restrain my dog and open the trap myself, which is what I would suggest. That was the tool I could find that MIGHT do the job and be packable. Don't think it would cut the spring, but maybe body. Highly rated by users, I want one for around the house.

Some are not cool under pressure, I'll buy a trap and set and spring until I'm comfortable with it.

Last edited:
Those of you that want to take the time do some homework, familiarize yourselves with traps and trapping get my :thumbsup:
Those that want make up situations to change or add restrictions. Are well:confused:
Those springs on body gripping traps are hard steel. A good old "MADE IN USA" bolt cutters POPS right through locks and hard steel. Those now days $9.99 made in China:( I don't know?
The steel that is used for the rest of the trap is soft steel, about like a grade 2 bolt. Hacksaw or bolt cutters would work well.

U don't need to cut a trap on my account. Just trying to get people to think about what might actually work. I think I could restrain my dog and open the trap myself, which is what I would suggest. That was the tool I could find that MIGHT do the job and be packable. Don't think it would cut the spring, but maybe body. Highly rated by users, I want one for around the house.

Some are not cool under pressure, I'll buy a trap and set and spring until I'm comfortable with it.

No worries, tomorrow I will try it. I have a hundred of them hangin, and have not used them, other then in the yard at home, (yes I have dogs) for 5 years. I use them in the yard when coon and fox or cats bug the birds too much. I will be out 8 bucks for this experiment. You could beg now and I will still do it for curiosity sake:D. It's an interesting thought. Any way, off to Lodge, let ya kno tomorrow.:thumbsup: I will try the cheap to good ones. I have both.
:cheers:

Last edited:
Well, Ya all have had those days when you can't find a tool you have not used in years right?. Well i have no idea where I left my bolt cutter. But a friend has a few different sizes at his shop. So it Will be another day yet. LOL. If instead of learning how to set one, to have a grinder way back in your truck is not an option. You would get back in time to bury the dog. There is a simple trap setter tool that acts like a pliers for those that can't squeeze a spring. But I bet many can just set the thing. All you have to do is squeeze a spring and hook the ends with the hook on the spring. So knowing how is the easiest way. There is other threads on this with how to do it easy with a piece a rope as well.

Last edited:
Well, Ya all have had those days when you can't find a tool you have not used in years right?. Well i have no idea where I left my bolt cutter. But a friend has a few different sizes at his shop. So it wil be another day yet. LOL. If instead of learning how to set one, to have a grinder way back in your truck is not an option. You would get back in time to burry the dog. There is a simple trap setter tool that acts like a pliers for those that cansqueez a spring. But I bet many can just set the thing. All you have to do is squeez a spring and hook the ends with the hook on the spring. So knowing how is the easiest way. There is other threads on this with how to do it easy with a piece a rope as well.

I have set many, not everybody has. That doesn't mean their dog deserves to die because of their lack of knowledge or strength.

I haven't trapped in many years but I'm thinking a trap that are used for beaver. You just don't re-set them. Also, people are advised to twist the trap so that it's pressure is on the side of the neck and head, so the dogs airway can be cleared for him/her to breath.

I have set many, not everybody has. That doesn't mean their dog deserves to die because of their lack of knowledge or strength.

I haven't trapped in many years but I'm thinking a trap that are used for beaver. You just don't re-set them. Also, people are advised to twist the trap so that it's pressure is on the side of the neck and head, so the dogs airway can be cleared for him/her to breath.

You know how rare this is right? You know about the BS stories each year right? Do you know if they are all true? Have sherrifs or athority investigated? I am not sure you know as much about trapping as you claim or the traps. (No offence) But trappers don't use them for beaver, they use 330's for that. I have some and trapped beaver. The 220 is not big enough. It might work in a pinch, but 99.9% of the time it will not be used on beaver. So are people willing to learn? 30 seconds of instruction to save a dog? A trap setter tool is so simple it is light weight and very easy. Any one can do this. By the time you move your dog on his side to find a magic position, you can have the trap off. Doub't you will run in to one. Now if your dog chases a bird to the highway, I don't think he will recover from getting run over. They die every year from eating someones own rat poison or other stuf way more then the one or so called 6 in a so called trap. Why don't the bleeding hearts gry foul on those products? If someone so worried about this is not willing to use a trap setter or how a trap works. If I was that worried about it, I would certainly gain that knoledge. Low and behold, in the time it took to read this BS, someone could have learned.... By god take away trapping all togeather then..., because that is all this whole thing is about any way. One thing will be taken care of, then the leg hold will be next. Then you have all helped yet another American sportsman loose some rights and freedom. Congrats.

Last edited:
You know how rare this is right? You know about the BS stories each year right? Do you know if they are all true? Have sherrifs or athority investigated? I am not sure you know as much about trapping as you claim or the traps. (No offence) But trappers don't use them for beaver, they use 330's for that. I have some and trapped beaver. The 220 is not big enough. It might work in a pinch, but 99.9% of the time it will not be used on beaver. So are people willing to learn? 30 seconds of instruction to save a dog? A trap setter tool is so simple it is light weight and very easy. Any one can do this. By the time you move your dog on his side to find a magic position, you can have the trap off. Doub't you will run in to one. Now if your dog chases a bird to the highway, I don't think he will recover from getting run over. They die every year from eating someones own rat poison or other stuf way more then the one or so called 6 in a so called trap. Why don't the bleeding hearts gry foul on those products?

You are WAY too defensive on this subject. Your not doing trappers or trapping any favors by basically attacking folks, then going into the bleeding heats labeling. Discrediting the people and their stories of loosing their dogs in original post with nothing more then a biased opinion is not the best way to prove your position. I have no yen to get into this any further

Come on guys.. This is NOT about anti-trapping. You can twist it anyway you see fit, but it's simply NOT about that.

Learning how to release a 220 is good and I think everyone should become familiar with it, however this is about prevention not the cure.

The old saying "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" I think speaks volumes here. The cure being how to remove the trap, and prevention being how to prevent it from happening in the first place.

I'm afraid if things are left as they are now then we will be right back to where we left off. The next time a dog is caught and or killed and it hits the news, more bad PR and trapping's image is tarnished once again in the eyes of the public.

What we need is for the Trappers association and the DNR to come together and find a solution that works for all parties. Until that happens it's status quo.

Last edited:
I want to say you are all so lucky you are still able to trap as here in CO they outlawed all forms of trapping in 1996 and we have had so many problems as a result of it makes me sick. Last week they shot two coyotes near Boulder because one bit a jogger. This happens so often here now as they are unfazed by human contact it is unreal. Rabies has also skyrocketed with raccoons and skunks. When I was a kid I spent many years growing up trapping and never dreamed it would all get taken away by a bunch of animal right activists that dwell in Boulder. Don't let the government do the same to your state...EVER :(

I should have worded that different, sorry. I simply meant that if someone was that worried about it, one would think they would want to seek out the knoledge as to how a trap works. And My friend, I am not attacking any one. I am not refering to bleeding hearts so to speak toward any one on here, It's a phrase is all, I guess I would relate that to peta, or anti trappers so to speak. And when I read that someone tells me they trap, and does not know they need tags or how to use one, then perhaps the idea that someone does not know all that much about trapping or the uses, "how to" so to speak may be lacking. And if a little knoledge is learned on both sides of this subject could go along way to avoiding accidents to begin with,Thats all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back