Thanksgiving trip

quail hound

Well as my trip winds down I thought I'd share a little of what I've seen. We are hunting about 500mi north of home just on the edge of the Oregon border. The folks up here are very nice and the hunters were very helpful to my brother and I. Birds? Yeah there are quite a few, we saw more in our first two hours of hunting this new ground than we'd seen all season up until now but these birds are the jumpiest I think I've ever seen. The first day we talked to a local guy and his young son and invited them to hunt with us and the dogs (they were dogless) and in return the man took us straight to his honey hole.:eek: As soon as we pull up a dozen birds fly from the sage brush into the field we are about to hunt, 20yds into the field and we're moving birds already, 50yds in and the first rooster is in the bag. In all we must have moved 50 or so birds in about an hour and a half but only one came home. I really hoped the dogs would put up a bird for the boy to shoot but it didn't happen.

Day two we hunted with the same guy minus the boy. We hunted hard, sage, grass, cattails everything but only put up a handful of birds and no shooting to be had. We thanked him again for showing us around and offered to take his family to dinner but he declined and we parted ways.

Day three started off slow until we talked to another guy who pointed us to a spot where he said we should see a few dozen birds and he wasn't lieing. The spot was a wheat field bordered by about 10 acres of nice grass bordered by sage hills. We worked the grass with the dogs birdy the whole time with no luck. I stopped for a minute to water the dogs and 25 or so pheasants pile out about 40yds left of me and fly straight into the sage where you can't hunt.:( That was the most birds I've ever seen in one flush in my life. I worked JP over that way hoping for a dumb bird who missed the exit and I found one. Bird two in the bag, a nice change after much frustration. We moved another 10 or so birds on the way back to the truck but only hens let us within range.

Today my brother and I devised a plan to tame these wild birds and about halfway down a piece of cover I hustled to the end to block as my brother and Daisy pushed towards me. As they near the end hens start to pile out just in front of me. In all about 15 hens came out and not a single rooster.:confused: Whether they gave Daisy the slip somewhere along the way or there just weren't any in there I'll never know but that's how the whole trip has been. The birds have just been a step ahead of us all along.

We'll hunt a little in the morning before we head home but we'll be back... someday, we'll be back. Its been an awesome trip; beautiful scenery, nice weather (cold but no snow:(), and lots of pheasants to make us scratch our heads. Next time I hope there's snow to even the playing field.:cheers:

Mt Shasta on a 9 degree morning.

20131124_071226_zpse1a8cafe.jpg

Daisy's bird.

20131123_164535_zps545d2e91.jpg

20131127_104154_zps7fe99050.jpg

JP's bird.

20131125_151344_zpsd0e247c5.jpg

My brother and Bud taking a break.

20131127_120912_zpsf8e12408.jpg

And a tired momma dog (Daisy).

20131127_130005-1_zps72df0870.jpg

Robert,

Great report and good for you. Glade you got into the birds. Seeing them is almost a good as bagging them.:cheers:

Good Report and trip Robert!! Thanks for posting some fine Pic's!! Best cover I have seen this year!!! Have a safe trip home!:cheers:

Robert,

Sounds like a blast. As long as we can see some birds, hens or otherwise it is a good day. Wow what a beautiful place.

Sounds like a great trip. Some just beautiful scenery for sure your dogs are taking care of business. :thumbsup:

What an awesome trip its been but sadly its time to head home. My brother destroyed a rooster this morning and I crippled on that we never found.:mad: Not sure how I feel about shooting steel or these PS shells I bought. We killed two stone dead, destroyed one and crippled one but maybe it was the shooters and not the shot.

20131128_082323_zps1068661e.jpg

20131128_105100_zpsef7a1e05.jpg

20131128_111015_zps77b7b9e5.jpg

20131128_125327_zps7af2bbfa.jpg

20131128_131958_zps8cb0ff26.jpg

And what a wonderful way to end the trip.

20131128_135722_zpscf9771f9.jpg

20131128_135801_zps0f4c1a40.jpg

20131128_135805_zps7c82a045.jpg

Now for a little JP news. I'm sure most of you remember the story of his hunting accident that happened a few weeks back. He hunted a little the first and second day but got swollen again in the area of the injury so he's been sidelined for the last 3 days while yhe other dogs picked up the slack (and there's a lot of slack left when JP isn't on the ground). Well today the swelling finally festered and about a half inch of a piece of bullrush was sticking out his back side just above his bits. I held his head while my brother performed an extraction with the forceps. He's feeling like a new dog now after this came out.

20131128_105639_zps9554ff61.jpg

Wow Poor JP.:eek: Glade your dog is doing better. :) Great pic's and thank you Robert for sharing them with us.:cheers:

Yeah, something like that tends to cause some discomfort.

Yeah, something like that tends to cause some discomfort.

Yeah, the poor guy has been dealing with it for 2 weeks now and missed out on most of the best trip we've ever taken. He woke me up at about 5 this morning whining and trying to convince me that we should go hunting.:eek: I sure would like to go back up if any wheather hit up there before season is over but that's probably more of a dream now.:cheers:

Thanks for the pics Rob. What a beautiful area you hunt. Your fortunate;)

Nick

Great pics, great story, and it's good to know there are enough pheasants out that way to keep folks interested!

I hope JP's luck changes for the better soon.

Thanks KB. I hope so too, nothing more frustrating for dog or owner than to be sidelined during hunting season.

JP has gone through quite the ordeal. Sure hope that's the end of that.

Nice pics. Nice bird country to, CA has a bit of everything doesn't it. :thumbsup:

Glad I finally saw your thread Robert. Fantastic commentary and pictures. It looks so great there, and what a view of Shasta! Wow, thanks.
And glad JP is on the up 'n up.

Thanks Wayne and John. That area is absolutely gorgeous to say the least, one of the only places to hunt pheasants in Ca where you could hope for snow. I can't believe it took me so long to make this trip. I'm truly blessed to live in the heart of such a beautiful, diverse state. I could point my truck in a direction and see evey type of scenery possible in just a few hours. From alpine meadows to desert, from oak savanna to coastal red woods, from high desert to rugged coast lines and from the highest mountain in the lower 48 to the lowest place in North America and everything in between. Each area with a unique beauty and a wealth of life calling it home.

Great report and pictures,thanks for sharing! Your Posts have totally change my opinion of California, I just never knew it had so much to offer the upland hunter. What a place to hunt with Springers. I hope JP is feeling better.

Back