SxS or O/U???

Buck,

Do you mean the Franchi Highlander in stead of the Uplander?

Zeb

Excuse me, yes. They do not have straight English stocks, rather a Churchill
aka round knob. They have tubes and you can shoot steel in them which is an advantage over many Spanish guns.

The Destino is a fancy Highlander. Lots of the upgrade is in the wood.
________
MAINE DISPENSARY

Last edited:
Suggestion. Check into the Fausti's they have on sale at CDNN. Web site is www.cdnnsports.com. They don't show guns there, but you can get the info on how to get a catalog and see what is what for yourself. I just got a 20 Fausti Field III Gold for 799.00. By the time I paid the shipping and the FFL fee, it was around 850.00. But still a darn nice gun for that type of money.---Bob

Last edited:
I would say the o/u in 16g is the way to go IMO. They are not as easy to find as a 12 or a 20 but are ideal for pheasants.

16 gauge

I 100% agree with you on the 16 gauge. I wouldn't trade my 525 field in 16 for the world. In my opinion 16 is the best gauge out there for pheasants, and they usually point like a dream!

Are the Browning O/U 16 gauges built on a 12 ga. frame or is the frame gauge specific?

I am also concerned about weight. I'd like to keep it about 6.5 lbs.

I grew up shooting a 16 ga. and never felt under gunned when hunting with my buddys with 12 gauges. But back then I didn't know any different and there was no other option. :) A few years ago I picked up a Savage model 220 single in 16 ga. I have a matching Savage 220 in .410 that I got when I was 10. I'm thinking of selling the Savage 16 ga. and a new Benelli Ultra Light that I won and buying a 16 ga. O/U or SXS.

Browning 16 gauges are built on a true 16 gauge frame. Sometimes they can be tricky to find because they are not a "book" gun, meaning that Browning does not advertise on their website or catalog that they build 16 gauges. They do release 16 gauges every 3-5 years, you can find them with a little bit of searching. I highly recommend them!

Are the Browning O/U 16 gauges built on a 12 ga. frame or is the frame gauge specific?

I am also concerned about weight. I'd like to keep it about 6.5 lbs.

I grew up shooting a 16 ga. and never felt under gunned when hunting with my buddys with 12 gauges. But back then I didn't know any different and there was no other option. :) A few years ago I picked up a Savage model 220 single in 16 ga. I have a matching Savage 220 in .410 that I got when I was 10. I'm thinking of selling the Savage 16 ga. and a new Benelli Ultra Light that I won and buying a 16 ga. O/U or SXS.

Browning_145,

Do you know where I can get specs on the Browning O/U 16's? Since they are not listed in their catalog or web site I can't find anything. I'm really concerned about the overall weight. That's why I've thought about a 20 ga. but would really rather have a 16 ga.

Zeb

I work at Gander Mountain and I am on my to work in about 15 minutes. I have a Browning 16 gauge there and I will weigh it and let you know today.

Browning_145,

Do you know where I can get specs on the Browning O/U 16's? Since they are not listed in their catalog or web site I can't find anything. I'm really concerned about the overall weight. That's why I've thought about a 20 ga. but would really rather have a 16 ga.

Zeb

Alright, I just weighed a Browning Citori SuperLight 16 gauge. It weighs 5.9 pounds and retails for $1,799. Very nice gun, english stock, beautiful finish.

Browning_145,

Zeb

Alright, I just weighed a Browning Citori SuperLight 16 gauge. It weighs 5.9 pounds and retails for $1,799. Very nice gun, english stock, beautiful finish.

Thanks for the information. I found a Citori Lightning Feather 16 ga. on GunBroker.com for $1,429. I think that's a great price.

I need to get some place and look at the various Citori 16 ga. models. They make the 16 ga. in about 5-6 different models.

I've got two shotguns for sale. A new Benelli Ultra Light 12 ga. and a Savage 220B Single 16 ga. Once they sell I'll probably have me a new Citori 16 ga. :)

Those Brownings would be great guns.

I went a different route and bought one of the Remington Spartan(Baikal) 16G O/U's when they were closing them out at Gander Mountain in late 2007. I paid under 400 dollars for mine and it is a bit heavy but it shoots great and for the price i don't have to worry about it getting dirty or scratched up.

Not sure what frame they base it on but i have the same gun in 20G that I won at a Pheasants forever banquet and they feel very similar which leads me to believe they might all be based on the same frame, maybe the 12g frame? Anyway I started to reload and I had a pretty good season with quite a few birds in the bag.

The spartan is a decent gun for the money, but nowhere near the Brownings in quality. I sell the spartans and I personally wouldn't buy one. Remington doesn't make them, they just stamp their name on them. Baikal makes the guns in Russia, they are all built on a 12 ga frame. They are a very stiff breaking gun, and we have had customers bring them back because of trigger problems also.

Thanks for the information. I found a Citori Lightning Feather 16 ga. on GunBroker.com for $1,429. I think that's a great price.

I need to get some place and look at the various Citori 16 ga. models. They make the 16 ga. in about 5-6 different models.

I've got two shotguns for sale. A new Benelli Ultra Light 12 ga. and a Savage 220B Single 16 ga. Once they sell I'll probably have me a new Citori 16 ga. :)

Dakotazeb,

Might be a little to far to drive but Reeds Sporting Goods in Walker MN has good selection of the Browning 16ga. http://www.reedssports.com/Category/main.taf?cat=1712 Their prices are better than they list on the website if you call. I got a superlight last year and it was not listed on website so it pays to give them call and see what they have.

Another good forum that has lots of info is the 16ga.com forum:
http://www.16ga.com/forum/index.php

Good luck in your search.

The spartan is a decent gun for the money, but nowhere near the Brownings in quality. I sell the spartans and I personally wouldn't buy one. Remington doesn't make them, they just stamp their name on them. Baikal makes the guns in Russia, they are all built on a 12 ga frame. They are a very stiff breaking gun, and we have had customers bring them back because of trigger problems also.

yeah, like I said, they aren't the prettiest or the smoothest guns, but they work just fine and I wasn't really concerned about the bulk or stroking my ego when I bought the gun. I just wanted something that would kill a pheasant or a clay pigeon when I squeezed the trigger and I didn't want a gun that I had to worry about scratching or dinging up. I just wanted a gun I could throw in a gun sock and keep behind the seat for the whole Pheasant season.And the selection of 16 g O/U's is pretty slim.

As far as quality, yes, they are tight for sure, but as far as problems go,, all guns can have them. I bought a Beretta ExtremaII and that had a problem right off the bat that required me sending it back to the factory for repairs within the first 2 months of owning it and I have a browning A-BoltII that has a clip that I would love to smash flat with a hammer. The design of their clips is the worst I have seen. Try attaching it to the drop door and getting it shut properly in a hurry.

Some day I will more than likely buy a Browning O/U in 16 but until then I will keep knocking down birds with this sledge hammer:D

Prairie Bird Hunter,

You are right about Reeds Sporting Goods. They have some great prices on the Browning Citori 16's. I've emailed them about a trade for my Benelli Ultra Light. Or if the Benelli sells I'll have a new Citori on the way to my house. I have the Ultra Light listed on this site plus a couple others including GunBroker.com.

Dakotazeb

Saw one 16 Lightning at the gunshow-$1,395. Did not ask for "bottom price", but perhaps if you were there you would have went home with it!
Other wise, I was a bit disapointed with the show compared to last year. Lots of Win. 21s, some 24s and 23s. Couple of SKB 200S. All of these guns, even those with English stocks had huge beavertails on them which does not suit my tastes.
I kinda get into books and art too, but two of the bigger usual vendors of those did not show.
________
R5

Last edited:
Buck, thanks for sending that clipping...I pm'd you (I think) with some additional info on what is going on. I have a Citori Gran Lightning 16 gauge and really like it. Good luck!

Back