SxS or O/U???

Browning_145

I have lots of good bird guns to choose from but I am wondering what you guys prefer between a good SxS or an O/U? I have a Browning B-SS in 12 and 20 gauge that I just picked up this year, along with Browning 525 field in 12 and 16 gauge. The 16 gauge is usually my gun of choice, but I am becoming more and more fond of my B-SS 12 gauge the more I shoot it. For all you double gun guys out there, which do you prefer? SxS or O/U and why?

Last edited:
Hi Browning, I am a SxS and a O/U man have been for years. For field shooting I prefer the SxS. But for shooting Trap I like my O/U. So I end shooting the O/U more than the SxS. This season for the first time. I found my self having trouble going back and forth. I was missing a lot more with the SxS. I think one problem is my age and the amount of shooting I do with O/U. Anyway I'm going to sell my SxS so it is not a temptation and go with strickly my O/U's. I have shot nothing but 20 gauge for years now due to back problems. But I do have a new love in my Life. I got a 28 gauge Savage Milano. It is O/U and all I can say is "that is one sweet gun." Unwrinkle your nose, I know you are a true blood Browning man.

sxs--- I've have shot o/u quite a bit, mostly on waterfowl. At one time I owned three Superposed, two 12, one 20ga. The one 12 killed thousands of geese between my Dad and I. (Forty years in the field) I had to have it tightened once. Steel moved me to trade the last one in on a Super Eagle. In retrospect, I wish I had not sold the 20ga. Browning as that was a nice swinging gun. Another problem was these guns were all M/F.
Got my first sxs as a junior in High school and have never looked back. Can't say why but I can shoot them on upland rather efficiently. If you are an instinctive point and shoot gunner, they should work for you. I shoot mostly pointed birds.
I carried a 20 Red Label fairly often for a number of years, but something about the fit caused me to tilt the barrels to the right and I was not consistent with it. Was nice to carry around, but straight stocked Euro sxs
are very light and well balanced. Anyone buying their first should get 28" barrels. 25 -26 move pretty quickly.
Currently I have a GRULLA 12, UGARTECHA 12, 16AYA, Zabala 20, Fausti Destino 20 and FULTON ARMS HUNTER 12
________
Hero Honda Karizma R Specifications

Last edited:
A Stoeger o/u but mostly I like to shoot my Benelli SBE 12guage.

Hey Browning..... What part of eastern Iowa are you from ????

I like the SxS if your only hunting one species. If your hunting both I'll take the auto. I had that problem (if you want to call it a problem) this yr.
The dogs would go on point and you think it's a big fat rootie and it turns out to be a big a covey of quail. With the SXS I would have 4 or 5 shot and would just enjoy the rise.Then I would switch shell and follow. With the auto I get to lay the hammer down if the covey is larger then 10. It's just my rule.

I have a SxS Uggie 12ga. that I love to hunt with, especially late season pheasants.
Early season I use a DeHann 16 Ga. SxS.
Both guns have double triggers, english stock and splinter forends, my favorite configuration.
I also have a couple of Browning O/Us that I enjoy in the field.
My Browning "White Lightning" is a favorite, and I use it from time to time. I probably shoot it better than any gun I own. It also has an english stock and a schnabel forend.
My other Browning is my waterfowl gun 12 ga 3" Citori.
I shoot all of them well, but in the field I tend to prefer the SxS configuration because of the double triggers and fact that they just seem to swing better for me.

Upland Hunter

I very much agree with you about the 28 ga. I have a Browning Citori in 28 ga, but it is built on a 20 ga frame so I don't get the real feel of a true 28. I have my eyes out for a true 28 ga built on a 28 frame, just haven't found the one that feels right to me.

Hi Browning, I am a SxS and a O/U man have been for years. For field shooting I prefer the SxS. But for shooting Trap I like my O/U. So I end shooting the O/U more than the SxS. This season for the first time. I found my self having trouble going back and forth. I was missing a lot more with the SxS. I think one problem is my age and the amount of shooting I do with O/U. Anyway I'm going to sell my SxS so it is not a temptation and go with strickly my O/U's. I have shot nothing but 20 gauge for years now due to back problems. But I do have a new love in my Life. I got a 28 gauge Savage Milano. It is O/U and all I can say is "that is one sweet gun." Unwrinkle your nose, I know you are a true blood Browning man.

I have often looked at a 16 but never bought one. My reason is somewhat off mark. I have 2-20 gauge reloaders and 1-28 gauge reloader now. There just is not room for a 16 gauge reloader on my benches. Then you got the components to get. So I just stay with my 20 and 28 ---Bob

O/U Here

Browning Citori Upland Special (1980) and an Ithaca Model 500 is my O/U arsenal.

I had a Huglu which is the same factory as CZ. They all have one flaw someplace between 1000-2000 rounds. The firing pins will break. One or both, for me it was just one, as I shoot a lot of Trap. Getting replacement Pins is not easy most gunsmiths cannot get them and end up making them, which very costly. Otherwise nice guns but if plan on shooting a lot I would consider something else. I am not alone in this I seen it time and again at the 3 gun clubs I belong to.---Bob

I agree with on the CZ's. We sell them at Gander Mountain and they are nice guns for the money, but if I was gonna shoot a lot of rounds through a gun, a CZ wouldn't be on the top of my list. They do have a 5 year factory warranty so that is nice.

I had a Huglu which is the same factory as CZ. They all have one flaw someplace between 1000-2000 rounds. The firing pins will break. One or both, for me it was just one, as I shoot a lot of Trap. Getting replacement Pins is not easy most gunsmiths cannot get them and end up making them, which very costly. Otherwise nice guns but if plan on shooting a lot I would consider something else. I am not alone in this I seen it time and again at the 3 gun clubs I belong to.---Bob

I would only use the CZ occasionally for pheasants and can't see that I'd put more than a few boxes through it a year. The ones I've picked up seem to be nice guns for the price.

A Ugartecha boxlock is going to be your best bet for a good solid gun in that. price range. Cabelas had two in Owatona and one in Mitchell recently Other Spanish doubles could fill the bill, but be careful in that price range. Saw one Derby on Guns International the other day and Guns America is a good spot to look.
If you can find a Franchi Uplander on sale, you could get close to $1,500 and Cabelas will occasionally have the Fausti Style in that area also. The right Charles Daly is ok if the Japanese or Italian version and the Ithaca 100,200,300 series of sxs made in Japan are nice, possibly in that range based on condition.
The CZ are decent in my opinion tho I have never owned one. A qualified gunsmith should have no problem with the alledged firing pin problem. They are a bit heavier than what I am used too, but not prohibitivly so.
I keep up on the doubles pretty well as they are my economic weakness, so if anyone finds anything they would want more info on, I would be more than happy to chime in. I offer all my comments with the understanding I can't speak as to condition unless I see it.
________
Aries

Last edited:
Back