Switching dog food because of price and availability?!

goldenboy

I feed Purina Pro Plan and feel it is a good food for my goldens. But lately it is about impossible to find. Typically I get it at Menards but lately they never have it in stock. I checked with someone from the store today and they told me when they get it in it is usually only 4 bags and they are sold that day!. Next I went to Chewy.com to see what they have. OUt of stock of what I feed other than the 6# bags. I use 47# bag roughly every 3 weeks. So next I went to Petsmart and found it there but I paid over $80 by the time I paid taxes on that bag! That is crazy. Where do you guys get your food, what are you feeding, and what are you paying? I am thinking of switching to Diamond because it is available and significantly cheaper! I know there have been many debates on foods over the years but I am not paying $100 a month for dog food! Help!

I feed my labrador Purina One large breed dog food. Its very similar to Pro Plan. You can check the ingredients on the back if you don't believe me. I have ordered it from Chewy online but I normally buy it in 36 or 40 pound bags at Target, Menards, or Fleet Farm in person. A big bag of it costs me about 40 bucks.

I feed my labrador Purina One large breed dog food. Its very similar to Pro Plan. You can check the ingredients on the back if you don't believe me. I have ordered it from Chewy online but I normally buy it in 36 or 40 pound bags at Target, Menards, or Fleet Farm in person.
Gimruis, I did try that Purina food but a couple of my dogs won't eat it. I agree it is very similar but the dogs tell me it isn't the same food. That is also a factor, right? If they won't eat it then I have to switch again.

Gimruis, I did try that Purina food but a couple of my dogs won't eat it. I agree it is very similar but the dogs tell me it isn't the same food. That is also a factor, right? If they won't eat it then I have to switch again.
For sure. I am only feeding one dog. Sounds like you have multiple mouths to feed.

Purina One makes multiple different kinds too. I could feed my dog just about any kind of food and she would wolf it down because she's a bottomless pit.

I mixed PPP 50-50 with a diamond natural offering for most of last year…back to diamond 100% now, PPP hard to find, and the hard work is over for 6 months…I feed 3 dogs.

I purchased PPP for a long time. My local farm and ranch store is atwoods and availability just went away locally. That was about a year-and-a-half ago. So I switched to vector hi pro haven't had any problems. They eat it well and seem to like it. Several duck hunters on a duck forum changed to vector about the time I did, no one has mentioned having any issues so far.
I pay about a dollar a pound before tax on the vector.

My choice for my high flying 2 1/2 yr. old GSP is Loyall dog food, 30l20 protein - fat. It seem to do the trick. 40 lb. bag is $42.00 including tax.

I switched over to Victor Pro Max 5 (realtree) for my pointer and Lab. $59 dollars shipped fromPetco for 40 lb bag. Dogs eating well and doing very well on it. So far very pleased and they have been on it for six months.

I've fed Black Gold in the black bag for over a decade with good results. It's about $27/50# and I buy 12-40 bags at a time through a wholesale feed store.

I pick up Pro Plan Sport 30/20 at Tractor Supply. They always have plenty in stock. I would like to switch to Euk or Dr. Tims but its just too expensive, especially the Euk. Pro Plan is pretty inexpensive really. $52 or so is what I pay. Last about 3 weeks.

I feed Purina Pro Plan and feel it is a good food for my goldens. But lately it is about impossible to find. Typically I get it at Menards but lately they never have it in stock. I checked with someone from the store today and they told me when they get it in it is usually only 4 bags and they are sold that day!. Next I went to Chewy.com to see what they have. OUt of stock of what I feed other than the 6# bags. I use 47# bag roughly every 3 weeks. So next I went to Petsmart and found it there but I paid over $80 by the time I paid taxes on that bag! That is crazy. Where do you guys get your food, what are you feeding, and what are you paying? I am thinking of switching to Diamond because it is available and significantly cheaper! I know there have been many debates on foods over the years but I am not paying $100 a month for dog food! Help!
Joel,

Been feeding my Golden Nutro Natural Choice for 11 years - mix a small amount of canned stuff as well. He seems to thrive on the food, has a sheen to his coat as well. Buy on line for $55/30 lb bag.

Nutri Source Performance. Buy from my breeder. Every ten bags I get one free so drives cost down considerably. I have been feeding it for four years to 3 dogs. I have a high energy dog that it has fueled well and kept weight on during hunting.

ProPlan here too from TSC. Good feed at moderate price. Ive tried switching foods for this or that reason and just quit messin with what works. Chewy does have the same feed for a bit less.

Joel, which formula of ProPlan are you feeding? In Watertown, SD I can almost always get what I want at Runnings. Tractor Supply is another source. I've ordered a lot online from Chewy.com and a few times from PetSmart. Free shipping on orders over $49. I'm currently feeding PP Complete Essentials Chicken and Rice 26/16. When I do feed the Sport I've never had a problem getting it. You should have a lot of sources in the Twin Cities area.

Lewis Drug , buy 11 bags 12th is free. Senior discount 10% first week of the month. Dog food is cheaper then anywhere in town and also goes on sale at 10 to 15 % off the already low price.

My local store is very familiar with me and have been most accommodating. They know I brag up their store and their store card program. Friends go in and mention I told them to shop , they know who I am😉

I have been feeding ppp sport mixed with Victor high pro. Feed very little with great results. I am going to start mixing some Diamond Naturals all life stages chicken and rice with 1 of the other 2 as portions will have to get smaller now that hunting season is over.
With the new mix feed the same volume but less protein and fat/calories and a cheaper diet.

Back