Sweet 16 barrel modification

mgorvi

Just picked up a 1970 Sweet 16 off Gunbroker that looks like its never been out of the box. It's got a modified choke. My ffl says he can send the barrel to Briley and have them put an invector choke system in it so I can shoot IC. He will do this at his cost. Would that be a mistake? This gun looks new, and would that affect the value and originality of the gun. Maybe I should shoot the thing and leave it alone. Any thoughts out there on that.

If will definitely effect the value in a negative way. But hey, did you buy if as a collector gun or a shooter? If you are planning to shoot it and not ever sell it what difference will it make? Will you be able to shoot steel shot with the Briley chokes?

I thought about doing the same thing with my 1960 Sweet with IC choke. Only so I can shoot steel shot. I don't plan to sell it so it's only going to effect whoever ends up with it when I'm gone. :)

briley chokes will allow steel shot to be used. IF that is a made in Japan gun, probably less of a loss finacially than if it is Belguim made, imo!

briley chokes will allow steel shot to be used. IF that is a made in Japan gun, probably less of a loss finacially than if it is Belguim made, imo!

The 1970's were made in Belgium.

If it were mine, I'd try to find an extra IC barrel for it. Might not cost much more than a Briley choke job, and will increase, not decrease, the value of the gun.

chokes

I'm gonna shoot the darn thing before I mess with it. I'll never sell it. Geez, barrels for those things can be 500 to 600 bucks. That's a little crazy. I might shoot it well enough to leave things alone. I hope so.

david0311

I'm gonna shoot the darn thing before I mess with it. I'll never sell it. Geez, barrels for those things can be 500 to 600 bucks. That's a little crazy. I might shoot it well enough to leave things alone. I hope so.

The good brilley tubes are $500 or possibly more now--had them put in 2 of my doubles a couple of years ago--$ 500 each then

another barrel

I've read a few horror stories about the choke tubes blowing out of guns when they are installed aftermarket. I'm either gonna find a barrel or just be satisfied and not screw it up. I'm looking at one on Armslist now from a guy with a Sweet for sale with two barrels. Maybe he'll separate them. We'll see. I gotta quit buyin stuff though, geez. Won't have any money left for SD. Had to sell a really nice pistol and 12 gauge to get the two 16s. Direct orders from Iraqi Headquarters.

Good idea. Many folks think modified is a good choice anyway. If you really want to shoot a more open choke, any decent gunsmith can open it up to light mod or IC for a lot less than the cost of Briley chokes, and you won't be able to tell that it has been worked on.

Another thing you can do is try different loads to see how they pattern. You may find that some, usually the higher velocity ones, produce a more open pattern than others. All you need is some 30" or 36" wide paper. Shoot at, say, 30 yards and see what you get. Remember, a really big pattern isn't a killing pattern. For a 16 ga, something like a 26-28" pattern is about as large as you can expect to make reliable kills.

I wouldn't have choke tubes installed in a nice SW16. Some folks would call it "butchered".

Of course it's your gun, your money, your choice.

Last edited:
The good brilley tubes are $500 or possibly more now--had them put in 2 of my doubles a couple of years ago--$ 500 each then

Per Briley's site the price is $249 for steel/tungsten chokes including 3 choke tubes. Or $125 to have them thread it for factory chokes.

david0311

Per Briley's site the price is $249 for steel/tungsten chokes including 3 choke tubes. Or $125 to have them thread it for factory chokes.

Guess it should have dawned to me I was using the price for my doubles and 5 chokes:--not a single barreled gun---:rolleyes:

It may be just me, but bastardizing a Belgium sweet sixteen by having the barrel threaded for tubes is as bad as those who put Poly chokes, Lyman Comp, Etc on guns years back. These guns are very undesirable and sit on the racks at many gun shops for ever, until they have to nearly give them away. Every time I see one, I have to ask myself. Just what the hell could they have been thinking.

Even with choke tubes installed. Shooting steel shot through the soft steel Belgium guns is not recommended.

If you want to shoot steel through a Sweet Sixteen. Find a late gun that was made in Japan with Invector chokes in it.

is it really necessary to shoot steel through a 16 ga? i know in some states,some areas upland hunting must be done with non toxic shot.
couldnt you just use a 12 ga or 20 in those areas(steel shot compatible)
i have a 20 ga sxs churchill fixed chokes ,ic and modified,it seems to pattern sweeter than a screw choke gun,havent patterned it , just from breaking clayssome folks think fixed chokes pattern better than screw chokes,some folks think paper hulls pattern better also,perception more than reality probably
a bought a japanese barrel for my a5 lite 12 and it worked fine.the lite 12 was from 1952 and the barrel from 1995 approximately
i would just shoot it like it is

Leave it original! Besides, a Mod choke SW16 is about as good as it gets for an all around pheasant slayer. That is a special gun. Buy a cheapy if you need to shoot steel.

Gun broker

I had no problems at all. It was a consignment gun at a gun shop in Kentucky, so I was able to talk to a human about the gun. The sale and shipment went great. I had a nightmare on armslist, but it was my own fault for trusting a guy who turned out to be a felon running a scam. I'll never again send funds to a private party without the benefit of seeing the gun. I think there's a ton of that going on out there.

Japan barrel

Japan barrel on gunsinternational asking $700. I offered $500. New in box. I won't pay seven though. I'll buy non tox shot before I pay seven. Not easy to find IC barrel for a sweet 16.

Back