Suggestions for good wild pheasant hunt in KS?

Nice post 2dogs couldn't agree more.

In ND I was hunting private property and nobody else was supposed to be on it, and several times hunting a little creek bottom I would run into guys on the back side of the property, after telling the rancher he said they were local pay to hunt guys sneaking clients on from another road. He said he had chase them out of several remote spot quite often. Its not always out of state people, I know in WI here its usually the locals trespassing when they know your not there.

I don't post alot here but I just wanted to air an opinion. I have been living in Kansas on and off for 20+ years since 1972 and retired here (spent 21 in military). I did not start pheasant hunting until 1998. I have driven many miles for many years all over the state just trying to learn it. I don't know any landowners and have hunted only WIHA and public land. I have taken a fair amount of birds but am still no expert by any means. I have hunted with just myself and 2 dogs 99% of the time, not because I am unsociable but because I don't have any family or friends who like to get out as much as I do (that goes for fishing as well). I read this forum quite a bit mainly to try to guess where to avoid the crouds and read some good stories. I respect private land owners and have never trespassed except when trying to get my dogs off of someones land when they strayed onto it. What I have noticed however on both the WIHA and public lands is how people can be such slobs, leaving there trash strowed about etc. I carry a bag and clean up what I see. I am sure everyone has seen it.
I have two 12 year old GSP's that still get around good for their age but can only last a short time. We don't get as many birds as we used too but that is not the only purpose. I believe hunting is a privelage not a competition and it's a time to be enjoyed just being out and watching dogs work and have a blast whether they are great hunters or not. Mine are pretty good hunters but I have seen better and worse. Also it is about success and failure because without failure how would one measure success as well as create the Great memories. Unfortunately there are those who don't care about conservation of the resources or stewardship of the land, here we need to use the law, but we cannot let them get the best of us and make us sour, or get the attitude that I am better than you etc. It will just ruin your hunting experience year after year. So for those who have any access at all to good private hunting grounds, be thankfull and enjoy it. Get license plate numbers and take photos, then report the violaters. Happy hunting and hope everyone has a memorable season.

you sir- if you get out arround SW Kansas this season- drop me a PM

Shadow, dont know why you dont call the sherriff. I am raising my 8 year old to respect landowners. I will take you up on your offer of head to head dog action. Is OK if I just run the boy's pup? I say hell maybe even let the boy shoot the birds his hound points. Will need bigger game bag. BTW maybe lighten up on the group, we all hate POACHERS.

I think we should have a meeting in SW Minn- could try some fun pheasant hunting- bow and arrow- maybe 22 pistols

say 5 or more- each have two dogs- majority vote who performs the poorest- pays the landowner say $200.00- and buys dinner for all

would take a pretty good dog- no

I think we should have a meeting in SW Minn- could try some fun pheasant hunting- bow and arrow- maybe 22 pistols

say 5 or more- each have two dogs- majority vote who performs the poorest- pays the landowner say $200.00- and buys dinner for all

would take a pretty good dog- no

I would NOT want to be blocking for that bunch...:eek:

I don't post alot here but I just wanted to air an opinion. I have been living in Kansas on and off for 20+ years since 1972 and retired here (spent 21 in military). I did not start pheasant hunting until 1998. I have driven many miles for many years all over the state just trying to learn it. I don't know any landowners and have hunted only WIHA and public land. I have taken a fair amount of birds but am still no expert by any means. I have hunted with just myself and 2 dogs 99% of the time, not because I am unsociable but because I don't have any family or friends who like to get out as much as I do (that goes for fishing as well). I read this forum quite a bit mainly to try to guess where to avoid the crouds and read some good stories. I respect private land owners and have never trespassed except when trying to get my dogs off of someones land when they strayed onto it. What I have noticed however on both the WIHA and public lands is how people can be such slobs, leaving there trash strowed about etc. I carry a bag and clean up what I see. I am sure everyone has seen it.
I have two 12 year old GSP's that still get around good for their age but can only last a short time. We don't get as many birds as we used too but that is not the only purpose. I believe hunting is a privelage not a competition and it's a time to be enjoyed just being out and watching dogs work and have a blast whether they are great hunters or not. Mine are pretty good hunters but I have seen better and worse. Also it is about success and failure because without failure how would one measure success as well as create the Great memories. Unfortunately there are those who don't care about conservation of the resources or stewardship of the land, here we need to use the law, but we cannot let them get the best of us and make us sour, or get the attitude that I am better than you etc. It will just ruin your hunting experience year after year. So for those who have any access at all to good private hunting grounds, be thankfull and enjoy it. Get license plate numbers and take photos, then report the violaters. Happy hunting and hope everyone has a memorable season.

very nicely put.

Toad- I wouldn't block either- no reason if you think
bowarrow002.jpg
about it

Back