Suggestions for good wild pheasant hunt in KS?

things are changing out here- best be carefull of the property you're on this season

Oh boy, a threat! Now it's a party!!

What exactly is your problem Shadow? You come on here and talk the talk all day, why don't you put your money where your mouth is, post up some pics. We are all here to talk dogs, birds and possibly help out a fellow hunter, why are you here?

Rut

actually shadow you live i southwest kansa not western kansas and i'm pretty sure kB has all the permision he needs to hunt in my area of western kansas it is all about how you treat peaple be it landowner or fellow hunter and KB has as far as I can see treated everyone on this site as he would want to be treated

Last edited:
I don't know what everyone else thinks, but I for one know Kansans out West are some of the finest people I know! Ask to hunt and 8 out of 10 will let you hunt! Treat them with respect and they become life long friends! Shadow, you seem to be the only one patting yourself on the back for everything! To me you are letting your Alligator mouth over load your Tadpole Ass! Could not care less about your great dogs and big farm with a ton a birds!!!!!! You are in the minority when it come to people from Kansas!! Take some prozac and enjoy this forum or find another way to express your anger at the world!!!

well said blue I hunt southwest kansas a few times a year started out by just going down there 2 years ago and knocking on doors still hunt the same land I asked for back then and have no intentions of stopping now and yep you guessed it if I find someone or befriend someone who hunts like me and takes it just as seriouse then yea I take them to and we have never shot any hens

Oh boy, a threat! Now it's a party!!

What exactly is your problem Shadow? You come on here and talk the talk all day, why don't you put your money where your mouth is, post up some pics. We are all here to talk dogs, birds and possibly help out a fellow hunter, why are you here?

Rut

I'll run one of mine head to head with one of yours any day- you can even try me out on this private property farm on pheasants- name the time- I have 3 sections

I expect Kansas Britt's will ban me

some of you don't know what's going on out here- everyone thinks they have permission-- I get crowded off my own field- you better believe I'm a little upset-

I don't know what everyone else thinks, but I for one know Kansans out West are some of the finest people I know! Ask to hunt and 8 out of 10 will let you hunt! Treat them with respect and they become life long friends! Shadow, you seem to be the only one patting yourself on the back for everything! To me you are letting your Alligator mouth over load your Tadpole Ass! Could not care less about your great dogs and big farm with a ton a birds!!!!!! You are in the minority when it come to people from Kansas!! Take some prozac and enjoy this forum or find another way to express your anger at the world!!!

well said- and if you stopped and asked to hunt you'd be allowed- but to come in on the back side- and when approached- I have permission- that's what farmers are talking about this year- but since most are a long ways from the property- who knows right

I'll run one of mine head to head with one of yours any day- you can even try me out on this private property farm on pheasants- name the time- I have 3 sections

I expect Kansas Britt's will ban me

some of you don't know what's going on out here- everyone thinks they have permission-- I get crowded off my own field- you better believe I'm a little upset-

Ban you....NO. I'm not representing the site here. I'm a human spam catcher and that's it for the moderator title and me. I also happen to be an appreciative user of this great site.

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder. I should also inform you that you're wrong in your assumption that "we" don't know what's going on out there. If you'd been around long enough to understand some of the guys you're saying these things to, you'd know that they're not the type to trespass and give hunters a bad name. There are multiple threads that contain bits and pieces of "bad apple" stories. None of us appreciate the kind of unethical "hunter" that is poisoning our well. We have the same problem you do. I highly doubt you'll ever catch any of us trespassing and crowding you off your own field.......please prosecute anyone that does.

Last edited:
Ban you....NO. I'm not representing the site here. I'm a human spam catcher and that's it for the moderator title and me. I also happen to be an appreciative user of this great site.

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder. I should also inform you that you're wrong in your assumption that "we" don't know what's going on out there. If you'd been around long enough to understand some of the guys you're saying these things to, you'd know that they're not the type to trespass and give hunters a bad name. There are multiple threads that contain bits and pieces of "bad apple" stories. None of us appreciate the kind of unethical "hunter" that is poisoning our well. We have the same problem you do. I highly doubt you'll ever have any of us trespassing and crowding you off your own field.......please prosecute anyone that does.

apoligize- had all sorts of folks out here last year- almost every day- from all over the country- I'd ask- we have permission- they never had a slip but gave names- there is a pay to hunt guy who was taking folks arround- nobody seemed to know where he got permission- some say from a few years ago-

shadow venting is accepted but maybe you should reword the way you vent on here to us becouse 100% of the peaple on this site are honest to god true hunters who appreciate what the farmers and land owners let us do on there land and i'm almost willing to bet that none of will run someone of the parcel they are hunting just so we can hunt it I will if I come across someone hunting or ending a hunt p[ull over and talk to them be neighborly and ask how the luck was especially if they are out of state I have a deep respect and responsibility to the landowners I hunt on to make sure noone is trespassing on their land and my hunting ground and around here if you are willing to take on the responsibility of helping them out by asking a few questions and calling them with the problem then the farmer or land owner is more that appreciative and welcomes you back for the following year to hunt

I'm truly sorry I started this, now its a pissin match.
I just think when your first posts are hey I'm coming to ks where should I hunt and people give you advice about general ideas, and that not good enough your just looking to take the easy-way out. If someone wants to help use pm and email there are lots of trolls on these sites.

Like I said I had or have no real knowledge of KS other than reading the reports from the state web-sties and other resources. I went to NC KS in Jan. the conditions were not ideal but we had fun got some birds and learned a little, maybe after 5 years I'll know were to hunt.

KansasBritanny I'm sorry to have dragged you into some hornets nest you didn't deserve.

No, I'm good with it. I understand how you feel. If a guy got nasty w/ us expecting us to provide GPS coordinates of our favorite spots to "help" him out, I'd feel the same way. You're right, some of the posters do come across as wanting something for nothing. Even then, we should welcome them to our site and try to redirect them. There is a very large part of KS that pheasants can be taken off of. If you tried to "hot spot" or "internet scout" this site, I'm sure you'd be pretty confused by the end of the season. Great bird #'s in Great Bend, great bird #'s in Liberal, great bird #'s in Scot City, Great bird #'s in Hays, Colby, Goodland, Wakeeney, Hill City, Concordia, Philips county, Ellis county, Ellsworth county, Kingman county, Greensburg,......there are birds all over the state. I don't think posters on this site bring any more people to one particular area than the KDWP reports do. Look at the crowing indecies and the upland forecast alone and you'll find places that look and sound more favorable than others. If I were from another state, I'd look at those reports and hunt somewhere around Hill City and Hays. HOWEVER, I've hunted here long enough to know that a few extra birds per square mile isn't worth the extra hunters......eventually others figure the same thing out and hunting pressure gets spread out a bit.

I believe this is the third site that I have seen shadow involved in this same type of argument. Shadow, I have news for you sir, there are a lot of great dogs and yours are not the best. There are competitions all over this country that would love to have you and your dogs come and show your worth!

Last edited:
visitor

I have been coming out to Kansas from Ohio for more than 25 years.........the Kansas guys I hunt with have "never" knowingly taken me on property we didn't have permission to hunt ...........as a matter of fact, several times we have seen birds on the property we know we will be allowed to hunt, but pass it up cause owner can't be found..........I can't believe Shadow has as many problems as he says, he's blowing smoke if you ask me!

WoW!... hunting behind Brit's must really make you testy!..:rolleyes:....:nutz:

you're right- just blowing smoke

land posted "written permission only" usually means you carry permission- not so all last season- that and finding hen wings where vehicles were parked

discussions going on about closing some land up

I'm scared to run in a NSTRA style trial

I don't post alot here but I just wanted to air an opinion. I have been living in Kansas on and off for 20+ years since 1972 and retired here (spent 21 in military). I did not start pheasant hunting until 1998. I have driven many miles for many years all over the state just trying to learn it. I don't know any landowners and have hunted only WIHA and public land. I have taken a fair amount of birds but am still no expert by any means. I have hunted with just myself and 2 dogs 99% of the time, not because I am unsociable but because I don't have any family or friends who like to get out as much as I do (that goes for fishing as well). I read this forum quite a bit mainly to try to guess where to avoid the crouds and read some good stories. I respect private land owners and have never trespassed except when trying to get my dogs off of someones land when they strayed onto it. What I have noticed however on both the WIHA and public lands is how people can be such slobs, leaving there trash strowed about etc. I carry a bag and clean up what I see. I am sure everyone has seen it.
I have two 12 year old GSP's that still get around good for their age but can only last a short time. We don't get as many birds as we used too but that is not the only purpose. I believe hunting is a privelage not a competition and it's a time to be enjoyed just being out and watching dogs work and have a blast whether they are great hunters or not. Mine are pretty good hunters but I have seen better and worse. Also it is about success and failure because without failure how would one measure success as well as create the Great memories. Unfortunately there are those who don't care about conservation of the resources or stewardship of the land, here we need to use the law, but we cannot let them get the best of us and make us sour, or get the attitude that I am better than you etc. It will just ruin your hunting experience year after year. So for those who have any access at all to good private hunting grounds, be thankfull and enjoy it. Get license plate numbers and take photos, then report the violaters. Happy hunting and hope everyone has a memorable season.

Back