Suggestions for good wild pheasant hunt in KS?

wolf

I've got 2 german shorthairs that are getting up in years that I would love to get into some wild birds. Not much good hunting here in MO. Any suggestions for Kansas? Thanks.

for Wolf

I travel to KS each year to hunt pheasant some times with large group with dogs and other times just a couple of us. I've found you can be successful if you simply scale your hunt according to the group - one or two guys with a dog or two are likely to have better success pushing confined cover such as draws or roadside ditches whereas large groups can hit the big cover/food areas such as large CRP and milo fields.

Go west young man haven't you been told? Western KS will treat you well try and stay west of at least Salina and hunt cover that you can manage. Willing to bet that you will have nothing but a good time. Also dig a little in the forum to see where the bird numbers seem to be good and plan your hunt based on your findings. Also download the walkin hunting atlas to familiarize yourself with it. Good luck and enjoy some of the beauty that KS has to offer.

KS is sounding better all the time. I spent 13 years in Wichita and never once hunted birds out west. Most associates said that it was difficult to find good spots available not connected with outfitters past Hays or Quinter. That was 1979-1993.

with over a million acres of walk in, Kansas is your best bet for public hunting.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback, guys.
But I still wonder where to go in KS. A few years back I did walk in hunting for a couple days in central KS. Most of the properties did not have habitat for birds at all. It was disappointing.
Is there any good pay to hunt farms out there in western KS? Thanks.

Sorry man, I've never known of a place in KS where a guy can pay $100 or $150 day trespass fee for private land. I know they're out there somewhere, but I don't know where.

But I still wonder where to go in KS. A few years back I did walk in hunting for a couple days in central KS. Most of the properties did not have habitat for birds at all. It was disappointing.

I've got just the place for you, it's located in Western Kansas and it's a top notch operation. Nicely priced and you'll get into plenty of wild birds. What time frame you looking at? Send me a PM and I'll give you more info. Thanks, KansasGSP

I've hunted Sand Wells Outfitters out of Hugoton for several years. They manage a bunch of irrigation circles with CRP in the corners. When the corn is all cut, those corners are full of wild pheasants. Jerry and Laurie run a nice operation. You can check 'em out online at http://www.sandwellsoutdoors.com/.

DISCLAIMER: I am not affiliated/associated with Sand Wells Outfitters in any way other than I like the way they operate.

Mike C.

Are you expecting someone to give you an exact spot? Do some home work like everyone else, or go to a outfitter. I can't believe how people want to know exactly where to go hunting, I have or had no idea last year [first time]I just picked an area based on what the DNR said, and how far I wanted to drive, Walk in areas and place to stay.

That said, if someone wants to give out free advice i'll take it also, i'm coming out again, after a couple of trips to ND.
JW

Are you expecting someone to give you an exact spot? Do some home work like everyone else, or go to a outfitter. I can't believe how people want to know exactly where to go hunting, I have or had no idea last year [first time]I just picked an area based on what the DNR said, and how far I wanted to drive, Walk in areas and place to stay.

That said, if someone wants to give out free advice i'll take it also, i'm coming out again, after a couple of trips to ND.
JW

I believe he was requesting the name and/or location of a pay to hunt/outfitter operation. Go easy on him.

Good luck in ND. Are you going to the SW, SC, or SE part of the state?

hunt west of Salina, go during the week, knock on some doors, get a walk in map set, don't pay to hunt.

I believe he was requesting the name and/or location of a pay to hunt/outfitter operation. Go easy on him.

Good luck in ND. Are you going to the SW, SC, or SE part of the state?

I'm just amazed how on this site how someones first post is where should I hunt, and a what time. The other upland sites I frequent frown heavily on open hot spotting.

Last year was the first year I went to KS we didn't do great but we got into birds, the snow was tough as were the roads. We hope to do better this year, might go farther west.

I'm going west but the only days I could get lodging are when only locals can hunt walk in areas.

I've hunted Sand Wells Outfitters out of Hugoton for several years. They manage a bunch of irrigation circles with CRP in the corners. When the corn is all cut, those corners are full of wild pheasants. Jerry and Laurie run a nice operation. You can check 'em out online at http://www.sandwellsoutdoors.com/.

DISCLAIMER: I am not affiliated/associated with Sand Wells Outfitters in any way other than I like the way they operate.

Mike C.

uh huh- and things are changing

I'm just amazed how on this site how someones first post is where should I hunt, and a what time. The other upland sites I frequent frown heavily on open hot spotting.

Last year was the first year I went to KS we didn't do great but we got into birds, the snow was tough as were the roads. We hope to do better this year, might go farther west.

I'm going west but the only days I could get lodging are when only locals can hunt walk in areas.

right on

-kansasbritt wants to advise everyone- but then- he's where no birds are
lets just say- everyone who wants to hunt should get a hotel in Hays- hunt within 20 miles because of the cost of gas, and the good motels, good food, easy to get out of bed and into a bird field- oh wait! WIHA's someone might be there first- oh darn- my hunt is ruined

Yeah Shadow, we all appreciate your poor attitude too. The sour mood you bring and your inconherent posts are hard to appreciate. I've been on sites full of jerks and this isn't one of them and I regularly encourage others to be courteous. What did the comments you directed at me even mean?

I just didn't feel like the guy was begging for GPS coordinates to a honey hole and wasn't sure why anyone would suggest he's trying to take the easy way out. Seems to me like he was trying to make conversation...conversation that may or may not have gleaned any useful advice from the group.

Last edited:
Again, what in the world does this mean? Anybody? What is the point of such a post?

you know- I'm sick of you slaming me- you live where I've hunted since 1972

you've got Britt's I've got Britt's- you live where there aren't many birds- I live on a large farm where there are birds- you say everyone go west-

I'll go head to head with you any day- start telling folks to hunt arround your area and not mine

you know nothing of the farmers out here who are sick and tired of folks saying come out and hunt- way to many think they have permission who don't- and way too many are shooting hens

things are changing out here- best be carefull of the property you're on this season

I have a great long-standing relationship with this particular gentlemen. He appreciates all hunters that are respectful enough to knock on his door. He doesn't like pheasants which is why there isn't any cover on his land. He thinks pheasants scare his cattle away and wants them shot. My dad works for the guy and I know him well.

Hens? Seriously? I don't trespass. If I did, I wouldn't be so concerned about finding some private CRP to hunt this season.....though eventually I will.

Stop telling people to head west........I don't think it is any big secret that the better pheasant hunting is out west. West where....well, they're all over. You may get advice to hunt in Morton county, you may get advice to hunt Norton county, heck there are even a few birds in Jefferson county.

I don't think you hunt where I live or you wouldn't shoot any pheasants.

Back