Subgauge shotguns

bobeyerite

For this discussion, I know the 20 gauge is considered by many to be in the sub gauge group. But so many of us use it for Pheasants , there isn't much more to tell.

My question is; "How many of us use a 28 or .410 gauge for pheasant?"
I use a 28 on occasion and I do well with it. But I shoot a lot of Trap with it also. I think you have to be a pretty fair shot to use the sub gauges.A shooter has to know the limitations of the gun to do well also. I shoot at nothing over 35 yards. Most shots are 15-25 and I use a fairly open choke, like the Improved Cylinder or Light Modified.

I find them a fun gun to shoot and have a ball with mine. For a very young hunter or a female. A 28 in a Semi-Auto, has very little to no felt recoil and a good gun for them. OK tell us your thought on these guns?.............Bob

Bob, some consider anything under a 12 ga. to be in the sub gauge group. In fact, ShotgunWorld.com has a special Sub Gauge Forum for 16 ga., 20 ga., 28 ga. and .410.

I've shot everything but a 28 ga. over the years. I love my 16's and never had a problem killing pheasants with a 20 ga. BSS I had. On wild pheasants I would think the 28 ga. certainly has it's limitations. As far as the .410, I started with one when I was 10 years old. What a worthless gun for pheasants. My dad would have done me a big favor if he had gotten me a 20 ga. instead. I still have that little Savage 220A hammerless single shot. I've taken it out pheasant hunting a few times over the years and even though I consider myself an above average shot I had a heck of a time killing pheasants with it. Even over pointing dogs. I think I crippled more than I got.

I have every gauge gun that's available here in the U.S. I have taken plenty of game with them all. I happen to really enjoy hunting with a nice 410. A person can carry a whole box of shells in ones front jean pockets. Really nice to carry for Ruff Grouse on those Indian summer fall days. I have shot ducks, grouse, pheasant, squirrel, rabbits and who knows what else with a 410. I like all the sub gauges.

I really like my 20 gauge guns. 2 870's for all sorts of stuff and a 525 sporting version for sporting clays and skeet.

I have never had a 28 or 410, although at some point I would like to get one of each in the 870 wingmaster version...

I like 870 wingmasters, they generally are pretty nice guns, not terribly expensive, easy to take care of, have a blue collar work ethic and are fun to shoot and can be used for clays and hunting.

Bob, and George,

Good for you, I love hunting with a 410. and use a 20 gauge sometimes. It's not the gun, it's the man behind the gun. I have been looking a 28 for years. I want on bad I just can't pull the trigger on one yet. 16 gauge's shot alot, but not my cup of tea. I might be jaded, but could't hit crap with it. It might have been the gun, or me.:)

Picking up my first 28 ga this weekend. Have always wanted one but have not shot one in the past. Looking forward to getting it out and doing some shooting with it.

Matt D

I've harvested lots of Pheasants with a 28, but you must acknowledge the short shot string & be on your game. They are a joy to carry & shoot. I choke mine improved & full. Look at the old vintage fixed-choke doubles . . . the majority are choked the same way.

I am sorry to say, that post must be worded wrong. I don't own a .410 never have. At my age and slow reflexes etc. most likely never will own a .410.

Have any of you Hunters ever tried the pure 7 shot in your 28 gauge. I read where it was a real killer. I tried some and man you won't believe the results with those shells. I now have many reloads made and use them often. If you want to buy them the closest you will find is an English made. But they are 6.66 shot not a true 7 shot when converted to American Measures.......Bob

28ga Ruger Red Label with 3/4oz 7 1/2's drops them like a rock!

28ga Ruger Red Label with 3/4oz 7 1/2's drops them like a rock!

Yep 3/4oz 7.5s @1300fps will put a hurting on a pheasant out to about 35yds. I love my 28ga.

Bob- I shoot 7 lead on pheasants- reloads- my Citori patterns 1 oz 7's nicely-
I wouldn't be afraid to use a 28 with 7 shot- haven't found the 7's lacking- I'm thinking about working some loads up of 7/8 and 3/4 oz- see what kind of pattern I'll get-

You guys talking about these have me going. Shop called today and said it arrived. Get it Saturday.

Matt D

RST sells #7 shotshells. They also sell low pressure loads for vintage and lightweight guns.

http://rstshells.com/

Last edited:
For this discussion, I know the 20 gauge is considered by many to be in the sub gauge group. But so many of us use it for Pheasants , there isn't much more to tell.

My question is; "How many of us use a 28 or .410 gauge for pheasant?"
I use a 28 on occasion and I do well with it. But I shoot a lot of Trap with it also. I think you have to be a pretty fair shot to use the sub gauges.A shooter has to know the limitations of the gun to do well also. I shoot at nothing over 35 yards. Most shots are 15-25 and I use a fairly open choke, like the Improved Cylinder or Light Modified.

I find them a fun gun to shoot and have a ball with mine. For a very young hunter or a female. A 28 in a Semi-Auto, has very little to no felt recoil and a good gun for them. OK tell us your thought on these guns?.............Bob

Shot one pheasant, my first, with a single shot .410, 3" shell.

Love my 28ga. !!!!
Ive shot doves, valley quail, mountain quail, lots of pheasants and cottontails with mine.

I use winchester 1oz. #5 shot on pheasants...drops em like rocks!

7 1/2's on dove and valley quail.

1oz. 6's on mountain quail and cottontails.

28ga, is light and so is the ammo, I carry more rounds than my 12ga. buddies with HALF the weight in the vest. Just a super upland game gun!

IMG_0669-1.jpg

Sooty, That gun looks like my Savage Milano 28 gauge, did you borrow it for your hunt?........Bob

10ga

allthosegeese2nddaya.jpg

12ga

Picture097.jpg

16ga

Picture012.jpg

20ga

Picture003-2.jpg

28ga

Picture181.jpg

410ga

Picture194.jpg

I love them all and they all provide a great traditional wild game feast throughout the hunting season

28s DO kill Roosters!
Dayton1_edited-1.jpg

Back