Stuff That Happens

Short version, killed a badger with my 16 gauge Ugartechea S x S as it was attacking my dog…clubbed it over its head, gun barrels were bent, stock broke into pieces at the pistol grip. I initially shot at the badger at less than
12’ or so, must have grazed it, and it attacked one of my 2 dogs that were locked in a Mexican standoff with it. $600 later it’s hard to discern that it happened. Much more to the story, crazy stuff. Less than 2 weeks later that dog and I were charged by 2 wolves while grouse hunting north of Duluth…they got to within about 40 yards, I was focused on the dog at that point, who actually came to me when I called her. Within 3 days 4 dogs in a 10 mile radius had been killed by wolves, one that I knew well.

The clubbing a badger story reminded me of my 10 year old dog in her prime trying to dig a badger out of its hole.

I was out pheasant hunting on the edge of some cattails, next to the cattails were some tall, thick grass. I could tell she was birdy (or thought so). She goes on point, I walk up, kicking the grass, stomping around, nothing. She gets back into the grass and tails wagging and she's all worked up. I finally tell her "get it, get it". She dives in there and I can see grass moving as she's following. Finally, out pops a badger running away. The whole time she's chasing after it, biting at it's ass. The badger kept turning back snapping at her but she never relented all the while I'm yelling at her to leave it. Finally took hitting her on the shock collar to make her quit. Luckily she still had a nose after that. Definitely could have turned out worse.

Years ago, I booked a hunt with a kid in southern K.S. He was a deer guide but had access to a few hundred acers with a lot of birds. He also knew a guy who would rent an old farmhouse (in the middle of nowhere) out to us for the week. Off we went. Weather for the week looked perfect except the normal KS. wind. The kid turned out to be like us, plain as dirt. He took us around, showed us where and where not to hunt and came by in the evenings to drink our beer.. The hunting was great! The pivots and CRP was full of phez and quail. We were having a blast until the second to last day when we were watching the weather and the guy said a major Ice storm was coming. We got the bright idea to instead of packing up and getting out, we would hunt the next day and hunker in and wait it out. Next afternoon it began to drizzle. Then the drizzle turned to ice and we called it a day. By the time we got all the chores done and cleaned up it was dark. My brother looked out the window towards a security light and said we better get a flashlight and get the truck out in the open in case a tree goes down. Wright on que, Boom a loud crack and blackness. We spent the next day and a half huddled up to a small gas heater, eating cold soup and pacing around. Good thing we moved the truck because every tree on the place was down. I've seen a lot of Ice, but hope I never see anything like that again. We had a rough time getting to the interstate with 4x4. There were miles of poles snaped off like twigs. I called the kid the next year. He said it was 2 months before they got power back in the farmhouse. Bird populations plummeted. I thought I could make it through any kind of weather event until then. Not long after that, I had my 500 gal. propane tank replaced with a 1000, Bought a backup generator for my old welder, bought and had installed the biggest ventless fireplace I could find and now make sure I keep several cords of wood cut.

kansas ice storms always cause a lot of trouble

I am out hunting with my pf buddies and their coon killing dogs. After the 1 guy had hammered the third coon with his breech lug of his over under it was such a bloody hair caked mess it wouldn't go back together.

To clarify he would disassemble his o/u then hammer the coons with the barrel lug.

A couple buddy's and I were river fishing. They weren't biting very well so we were relocating. As we drive down the river road, we meet a truck with some guys we knew. They said they had a keg of beer at their camp sight if we wanted to come by. We get there and see that there are several tents with the guy's wives and kids. It didn't take long to figure out that the guys were pretty drunk. As I'm filling my cup with beer a dirt bike came speeding down the trail. A guy jumps off and starts screaming. A fight ensues and the drunkest guy who owned the property grabs a shotgun and shoots into the ground in front of the screaming guy. Come to find out the guy had ridden past their camp earlier. So, they drove through their camp brandishing guns right before we met them on the road! The dirt bike guy jumps on it and takes off while the rest of us are wrestling the shotgun from the drunk landowner. This was before cell phones, so the men decide to load the drunk guy up, take him home and call the sheriff. One of my buddies wanted to leave but I didn't want to leave the women and kids alone. Sure as hell, we hear the dirt bike in the distance. We jumped in my truck and headed them off before they got in camp. A van with another couple guys were right behind them. I jumped out and had my buddies slide into the driver's seat. As they get closer, I see a sawed-off bolt-action shotgun strapped to the handlebars. I told my buddy that if he shoots me, run over him and go for help. The van slides to a stop and two more guys jump out. One had a bowie knife and a hatchet on his belt. As I'm trying to calm them down the guy waves the shotgun passed me several times. One of my buddies gets out and speaks up. He had gone to school with the hatchet guy. We got them calmed down and they left. A couple years later the hatchet guy murdered a 12-year-old girl by stabbing her in the back and kicking her into the river! I'll always wonder if he did it with that Bowi knife on his hip.

Ok I have one. Growing up I used to run around with 4 other guys. They were extremely scared of snakes. So one March morning, we went out fishing on a river. We are all looking around waiting for the fish to bite, bsing. Then of course the subject of snakes came up. They all declared they were scared of snakes as usual. We were sitting under a large tree. I happened to look up into the tree. There were snakes end to end on every branch. Hundreds of them. They were not moving at all. So I asked the guys if they were so scared of snakes, why were they sitting under this tree. They all look up at the same time. Then they proceed to vacate the area, lol. We were parked on a road that was elevated 10' or so. above the ground. There was 2" rock on the side of the bank of the road. One of the guys fell down on the rocks and the other 3 ran over him getting to the car. I was still under the tree still laughing hysterically. I said hey you forgot your poles and tackle boxes...They said you bring them or you don't get a ride...It should be in a movie..

Ok, I will bite. Every year on the day after Thanksgiving my buddy and I always hunt pheasants somewhere. Many years ago we were in a field 3 hours from home, close to a very small town with barely any ammenities. We start out in this huge field of cattails where all the birds are. I am in the middle of the cattails and my buddy asks me to come over to where he is on the edge of the thick stuff. Why I ask? He pleads and asks for the keys to the truck. Seems he has to take a dump! I give him the keys to my truck and he tight cheeks it back to the vehicle. Except he doesn't make it. Explosive diarrea happens before he can even get his pants down! He rushes to the small town and finds some outdoor bathroom at a local baseball field that is closed for the winter. He goes inside and promptly destroys the interior of the building trying to clean himself up. Meanwhile his son and I are hunting the field and wondering where he went. Finally he shows up and steps out of the truck in a pair of long underwear I have from my pheasnt bag in case I need another layer while hunting. No pants, my spare boots on, and then the fun starts. He tells us the story and says we have to drive home now because he needs to take a shower and find clean clothes. I never let him forget that day. Since then he always watches what he eats on Thanksgiving day so he is able to hunt the day after!

Hunting up is SD at a friend's farm in November probably 10-12 years ago. It had been a drought year so everything was really dry. My buddy had a brand new Suburban that he was really proud of. He kept driving it through sloughs, and I warned him that there were still wet spots out in the middle of these things. Well he buried it in the middle of a slough about a mile from my buddy's house. We had to make the walk of shame back to the house, and take our dose of shi&^. My buddy takes his tractor out to pull us out, and gets the tractor stuck. Had to break his big boy tractor out and pull the tractor and the suburban out. Still hunt up there every year, and smile every time I walk through that slough. Never found his front fog light that got sucked out LOL.
I had one like that in Eastern Montana. Luckily I found a farmer 2 miles away. He brought a tractor out, and this was before cell phones. Great guy.Im sure I was the talk if the town for a while!! The snow was deep, and I should not have tried to drive in! Spent the whole day out in the boonies.No hunting.

One time I went hunting in Broadwater Nebraska on a friends farm. He just purchased a new truck, which we took hunting that day. He had "ordered" a herd of goats that specialized in eating wild hemp and thistles. They showed up as we were getting out of the truck to hunt. To save the guys some time and effort, my friend instructed the guy to release the goats in the field that we were hunting, which was fenced. The guy did so and closed the gate behind him and we proceeded to hunt for several hours. When we returned to the truck there were goats everywhere on his truck. They were in the bed, on the cab, on the hood and since we left the windows down, they were in the truck cab. Those goats shit and peed everywhere and ate absolutely everything that was plastic. Such as the seats, and every knob that had plastic on it. Their hooves also dented his new truck so completely that it looked like it had been through a severe hail storm.

The funniest part is him being him, he never replaced any of the knobs or turned it in to insurance.....it just remained a dented up truck with no knobs for the rest of it's life.

My head shaker: Stubborn springer, flooded cattails, borrowing my husband's new 12-gauge shotgun and pheasant forever vest... I should have known from the excited bark that we were not on bird. Obie was down-to-folic (DTF) with feather/fur/whatever; the growling and cattail tips frantically moving cued me into the fact that my shot gun was not going to be an effective tool to this fight. Running in, I slipped, ended on my butt in a foot of water with an angry racoon and dog fighting at my feet; my only advantage was my weight... Ended up standing on that mean animal until done. Cue up the rabies booster the next day. I loved my brave heart dog even though he was always DTF; I'm getting his niece soon. I'm sure she'll be down-to-frolic too. Now that I've had a few years on the gun and the vest, maybe I won't be bitched out by my husband for abusing his new equipment.

Three short scarry deals. I was deer hunting. Walking down a tree line in the river bottoms. I see a big black dog a hundred yards away trotting towards me. At about 40 I see that it's teeth, it's growling at me. I fire a deer slug in the ground in front of it and it breaks into a full charge. I shot three more rounds at it, missing every time. At about 15 it turns into the trees. I can still see the image of that slobbering snarl. Rabid?
Deer hunting with a bow. In the bottoms again. About .5 miles in walking out after dark, no light. I hear something in the woods walking with me. Just like a horror movie, I stop it stops. Next thing I know I'm running through the woods with a razor-sharp broad head tipped arrow in one hand. Finally, it hits me that if I go down with that arrow, this might not end well. I calm myself down and make it to the truck without hearing it again. I've tossed it around a lot. The only two things around here that would follow a guy, dog? Human? I really think it was a human. It was breaking small twigs.
I used to take solo river trips. Just float, fish and camp on sand bars. One night a storm was rolling in, So I was up in the trees looking for a place to hunker down if it stormed. Just as I entered the fire light, I hear what sounded exactly like running footsteps in the sand. I grabbed my shotgun, whipped it up, safety off pressure on the trigger when I see a big piece of black plastic rolling in the wind down the sandbar. Nothing life threatening but all three scared the crap out of me!

bout .5 miles in walking out after dark, no light. I hear something in the woods walking with me. Just like a horror movie, I stop it stops. Next thing I know I'm running through the woods with a razor-sharp broad head tipped arrow in one hand. Finally, it hits me that if I go down with that arrow, this might not end well. I calm myself down and make it to the truck without hearing it again. I've tossed it around a lot. The only two things around here that would follow a guy, dog? Human? I really think it was a human. It was breaking small twigs.
I don't think a dog would be able to follow you and only take steps solely based on when you took a step. Especially since you're a biped and a dog is a quadriped.

I think you may have encountered Bigfoot. LOL

I used to deer hunt in the Chippewa National Forest just east of Leech Lake for many years. There are wolves there, but I have never seen one and neither has anyone in our 10 man party for 60 years there.

In 2012, as I was walking in to my stand opening morning in the pitch dark, I heard them howling in the distance. Slowly, but surely, the howling kept getting closer. Then there was a long pause and right as I got to the tree that my stand was in, I heard a screech that was very close. Its not a noise that I've ever heard before, and I've never heard it again. It could have been an owl, but I've never heard one make that noise. I think it was one of the wolves I had previously heard. I climbed that tree into my stand faster than a ring-tailed lemur.

When legal shooting time came, I shot the biggest buck I've ever seen in 18 years of deer hunting.

Back