Storing Your Steel

-Wildcat-

Super Moderator
Hey guys,

I have a question. If you intend to store a weapon for an extended period of time (either not in use, or in the offseason, etc.), what do you use? Is it something different that what you normally use for usual maintenance?

Your thoughts are appreciated!

I keep all my guns in a gun safe regardless of how long between uses. At the end of the hunting season my hunting guns receive a thorough cleaning and then are lightly oiled with Breakfree CLP. That seems to work good for me till the season starts back up. My clays gun gets cleaned periodically when it needs it as I use it almost throughout the year.

For a gun that will be stored indefinitely, you may want to use a more protective coating such as a gun grease of some sorts on all metal parts. You could also just go over the gun with an oil periodically if your diligent enough to do so.

As stated . . . light coat of CLP and dessicant or a dryer in the vault.

I use Rem-oil with Inhibitor for cleaning and short term when using the gun often. During long periods or during high humidity. I use a good gun oil such as Outers or Hoppe's . I have never had much luck with CLP. It damaged the finish on a gun one time and I have never used it since(softened the finish enough to leave finger prints). The regular gun oil has a much higher film strength and tends to stay put on the surface much better then the thin lubricants like Rem-oil or CLP.

I use Rem-oil with Inhibitor for cleaning and short term when using the gun often. During long periods or during high humidity. I use a good gun oil such as Outers or Hoppe's . I have never had much luck with CLP. It damaged the finish on a gun one time and I have never used it since(softened the finish enough to leave finger prints). The regular gun oil has a much higher film strength and tends to stay put on the surface much better then the thin lubricants like Rem-oil or CLP.

Onpoint PLease tell more about this finish problem you had, with this gun. I have not ever heard this before..... I use clp and nothing else. You had a problem with this product and I'd like more info on this. Thx

Did this cause damage to the wood parts or the steel parts?????? The wood parts I could see but not the steel/ blued parts.

Last edited:
jmac, it softened the finish on the wood to the point it became sticky and I could leave permanent finger prints in the finish. I have WAY! too much money in my current guns to risk such a thing happening a second time. I use no bore scrubbers or action type spay cleaners either. I use only gun specific solvents and lubes.

jmac, it softened the finish on the wood to the point it became sticky and I could leave permanent finger prints in the finish. I have WAY! too much money in my current guns to risk such a thing happening a second time. I use no bore scrubbers or action type spay cleaners either. I use only gun specific solvents and lubes.

Onpoint , I see finish on the wood parts. Good to know. Thx

Back