Spring Turkey

Goose, I have really got into it. I raise some of the best damn tomatoes you have ever tasted. Romaine,broccoli, lettuce,chives, Yukon gold potatoes, okra, zucchini,cucumbers. Once you raise your own stuff, you realize most stuff bought at store is half-ass, lol. There is nothing like picking a vegetable at it's peak and eating right then. Yes I still like to kill shit with honor, lol

Nothing better than fresh, it’s your passion. For me it’s green onions. Love what you do and you’ll be happy. Life’s secret. Salute Bird.
Life's too short to drink the wrong beer.

Last edited:
Yes, I believe that if I wanted to hunt a Merriams wild turkey the Black Hills is the closest naturally reproducing population of them from me.
I've scouted the black hills in summer a little bit. I've never actually hunted there. I've heard it's a fun hunt.

Yes Merriam turkey. There is a learning curve in turkey hunting, just like pheasant hunting,and waterfowl hunting. It takes years to get good at it, but when you master it,you will get lots of birds in spurts.Some years will be better than others. Scouting, knocking on doors, talking to people, looking at maps,all are important. Learn to be proficient with calls.That is important.
No easterns in Montana. Parts of Montana have hybrids. We have mountain birds, plains birds, most of the state has some. Some counties have more than others.

Dude, You have Turkey fever...I don't have it this year. Gardening is my focus. Got to get a good start on it. Turned my beds over again yesterday. Put in horse manure, etc. I am trying a new tomato this year Mortgage Lifter, supposed to grow to 9' tall and have 1-2 pound tomatoes...
I'll have to look that plant up.

Wow! I cant believe most of you posters dont like wild turkey. You must be over cooking it! Ruffed grouse & wild turkey are at the top of my list of wild birds to eat. I do throw the legs away. Wt way better than any store bought turkey. I have cooked it many different ways, all were excellent, as long as u dont over cook. I would never ruin any game meat with hot sauce! If you raise one yourself, free range, it will taste more than wt than store bought.

Wow! I cant believe most of you posters dont like wild turkey. You must be over cooking it! Ruffed grouse & wild turkey are at the top of my list of wild birds to eat. I do throw the legs away. Wt way better than any store bought turkey. I have cooked it many different ways, all were excellent, as long as u dont over cook. I would never ruin any game meat with hot sauce! If you raise one yourself, free range, it will taste more than wt than store bought.
Agreed, under two years old is better than store bought. But older birds are not very good in my opinion. Pressure cooked in chicken broth, then made into turkey and noodles will barely work.

I took this nice tom yesterday just before 8am. 4 hens, 5 jakes, and 2 toms came walking out of the timber at 40 yards and I dusted one of the toms. It was day 5 of 5 of my hunt. I had been hearing and seeing this group of turkeys for days, just never close enough. I ditched the calls and decoys for a couple days and just waited patiently in my blind. After I shot the tom, the other tom pecked, spurred, and kicked dirt on the dead one for 15 minutes before walking off. The behavior of these birds sometimes is bizarre.

Attachments

• 2023 turkey fan.jpg
    2023 turkey fan.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 19
Captain, Give us some recipes please.

gim, I love the turkey hunting hat! Nice bird. I went to scout my spot yesterday and there were three hens in the field. I might hunt this week and see if I can find the tom or jake that's been spotted strutting out there by the locals.

All pretty simple stuff. I like it best on the grill. I have cooked it whole, or filleted the breast, but it is best if you cut it into 1/2” thick slices. I have eaten it with just salt & pepper & rubbed up with butter. Now I rub it with avocado oil & season it with Goya adobo. I add some granulated garlic & grate some fresh fresh ginger on it. I get the grill to 550* or more. I sear each side just long enough to make grill marks, & then cook it about another minute on each side. I do the same seasoning if I pan fry it. If I deep fry it I use peanut oil. The only time I have ever had it turn out not so good is if I over cooked it.

If you like hot stuff, here's one I made up. Cut the breast in half inch or so strips and lay in a casserole dish. About half tiger salsa and half franks sweet chili. Probably a cup total. It doesn't need to cover the meat. Cover the top with sliced onions. 350 for about 1.5 hr. Water from the bird will make the sauce thin. I pour off the sauce into a skillet. Then dissolve a tablespoon or so of corn starch in a cup and pour in. Heat and stir until you get the desired thickness. Then spoon it on the meat when served. Not bad if I say so myself!!

I got my Minnesota turkey. I went Wednesday with a buddy and told him he could shoot first. He really loves cooking wild game and we had a jake come in really close and he got him. Stayed another couple hours but only saw hens. I went out this morning at 10am and had a turkey at 10:45. turkey 2023.JPG

Montana has Merriam's and Eastern.
This gobbler was in NW Montana south of Polson, North of Ronan
Eastern or Merriam's?
Gobbler_May11.png

Is that turkey a merriams? Are there easterns out there? I know in NE SD it's a lot of hybrids. I hunted out there two years but the turkey got away both times and one night in the restaurant a drunk guy in a cowboy hat knocked me in the back of the head and I haven't been back. True story. Sisseton.
Yes Merriams turkey.Full blown gobbler.The younger ones are the best eating. Jakes

Overlooking, and letting it get dry.Wild turkey is excellent eating.

Back