Spring Turkey

gimruis

I know there are a number of turkey hunters here. With seasons opening up soon, let's hear about your strategies, success, failure, and whatever else. More importantly, let's see a photo of your spring turkey if you fill a tag!

Gobble Gobble

I've gotten 9 or 10 turkeys over the course of living in the country. Of these, only two have been palatable, the others were as tough as dried rind. I've tried cooking bags, apples and oranges in the chest cavity, even canned turkey gravy in the cooking bags. No joy for me, so I've virtually stopped hunting them.

Aside from grinding the meat, is there a technique for cooking a wild bird that will end up with tender meat?

Thanks.

the others were as tough as dried rind
Lol you aren't alone. I've never been real excited to eat one either. People need to understand that a wild turkey is not a butterball you buy in the store and eat on Thanksgiving. Not even close.

I don't think they are terrible, but they aren't that good either. They're just blah. Lately I've been able to give mine away to a co-worker so I don't have to worry about eating it.

If consuming a wild turkey was the only reason I hunted them, I would have quit doing it years ago. I'm in it for the chase, not for the meat.

Lol you aren't alone. I've never been real excited to eat one either. People need to understand that a wild turkey is not a butterball you buy in the store and eat on Thanksgiving. Not even close.

I don't think they are terrible, but they aren't that good either. They're just blah. Lately I've been able to give mine away to a co-worker so I don't have to worry about eating it.

If consuming a wild turkey was the only reason I hunted them, I would have quit doing it years ago. I'm in it for the chase, not for the meat.
Breast them out like you would a pheasant. Soak for a day in a brine mix of kosher salt and water. Then grill with barbecue sauce. Pretty good flavor; but definitely not as tender as domestic birds.

I've gotten 9 or 10 turkeys over the course of living in the country. Of these, only two have been palatable, the others were as tough as dried rind. I've tried cooking bags, apples and oranges in the chest cavity, even canned turkey gravy in the cooking bags. No joy for me, so I've virtually stopped hunting them.

Aside from grinding the meat, is there a technique for cooking a wild bird that will end up with tender meat?

Thanks.

Stick with the breast meat. The thigh meat's for the dogs. Throw the legs away as the meat is full of bone needles. Back to the breast. Cut up chunks, brown, and then slow cook in broth in the crockpot. Add your favorite veggies and when the time is right after hours in the crockpot, maybe add noodles or rice.

Huntin' buddy and I will be out dark thirty Wednesday morning. We start calling as soon as they fly down which is usually at sunrise. It sometimes takes a while for them to come to the decoys as they seem to have play time first, then down to the business of breeding.

I cut the breasts into strips, bread lightly, and fry them quick and hot. The boys like it cooked that way. I have a friend who slices semi frozen breasts on a meat slicer, marinates in Franks hot sauce, then throws them on the dehydrator. It makes a decent snack.

I haven't found a great way to utilize the legs/thighs. I've tried slow cooking them several different ways, then pulling the meat for stew, I've never had it turn out decent. Just not much meat there. I might try to sous vide the next one we get.

I cut the breasts into strips, bread lightly, and fry them quick and hot. The boys like it cooked that way. I have a friend who slices semi frozen breasts on a meat slicer, marinates in Franks hot sauce, then throws them on the dehydrator. It makes a decent snack.

I haven't found a great way to utilize the legs/thighs. I've tried slow cooking them several different ways, then pulling the meat for stew, I've never had it turn out decent. Just not much meat there. I might try to sous vide the next one we get.

sounds tasty

I can make a wild turkey taste like a butter ball. Get out there in the dark. That's one important tip.

Thanks.
Just shoot jakes. I think they are better than store bought. I have shot some three-year-olds and one hen that were simply inedible. I take the two-year olds and cut the breasts in around .25-.50. slices, marinate in whatever. One of my favorites is the juice from Jalapeno jars. It's actually not that hot. Add some meat tenderizer. I think its Adolfs meat tenderizer. Grill or bake. Don't over cook.

1 oz of .010 percent permethrin per 20 oz water. Spray all clothes and gloves. Let dry and the permethrin smell will go away. Or buy Sawyers, Permithon, or Bronco for dogs. I think they are all about the same percentage of permethrin. I was looking at the Bronco This morning 25.00 a gallon. Even if you buy the not so cheap Sawyers or Permithon, Its cheap compared to spending the rest of your life screwed up. I know a couple people that had Limes. Not good. Don't take the chance.

Just shoot jakes. I think they are better than store bought. I have shot some three-year-olds and one hen that were simply inedible. I take the two-year olds and cut the breasts in around .25-.50. slices, marinate in whatever. One of my favorites is the juice from Jalapeno jars. It's actually not that hot. Add some meat tenderizer. I think its Adolfs meat tenderizer. Grill or bake. Don't over cook.
Chunk them in 2 inch chunks. Cook on the smoker & use for dog treats when hunting. Goose breast works this way also. High protein snacks for the pup in the field

A good buddy turned us on to this recipe; Marinade 1 breast, then cut into thin strips; longer strips cut in half. Cut bacon strips into thirds; roll the turkey strip inside the 1/3 bacon strip and push a toothpick through it. when finished, season with Montreal Steak seasoning. Get a hot grill going; we use charcoal with a vortex; we place the chunks on a grill grid so they don't fall through the grates; Cooking time is only 3-5 minutes(the prep time is 30-45 mins). Best served with ice cold beer;). Good luck this spring guys! Wish you all a great season.

Attachments

• P1.jpg
    P1.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 3
My wife's favorite is to marinate the breast meat and grill over indirect heat. Do not over cook. The legs and thighs are used for turkey and wild rice soup.

1 oz of .010 percent permethrin per 20 oz water. Spray all clothes and gloves. Let dry and the permethrin smell will go away. Or buy Sawyers, Permithon, or Bronco for dogs. I think they are all about the same percentage of permethrin. I was looking at the Bronco This morning 25.00 a gallon. Even if you buy the not so cheap Sawyers or Permithon, Its cheap compared to spending the rest of your life screwed up. I know a couple people that had Limes. Not good. Don't take the chance.
It was perminone not permithon. Looks like it's changed names or quit making it. Repel makes one also. These are not repellent! Permethrin is an insecticide, so use at your own risk...

Binos; Primos mouth call;, camo mask; camo gloves; Realtree open country shirt, pants, boonie, and coat; and Cutter to keep off the ticks.

Last edited:
Headlamp & extra batteries; rangefinder, slate & glass pot calls, Woodhaven mouth call; brush cutter; owl & crow calls; mask & gloves; wool hat; hand warmers; glasses; Axil ear buds; Vortex compact binos; gum; sandpaper; & most importantly- TP🤣

The bug dope you're referring to is called permethrin. Worth its weight in gold. Apply to your turkey outfit a day in advance. It kills ticks and other bugs.

Back