Spring Turkey

My main objective at the moment is getting in shape. Walking about 20 miles a week now. My hunting ground is shrinking so I'm thinking about a few days hunting and camping in the National Forest like I used to do. I once could walk those hills all day. Now they are a little intimidating with both ACL's torn and repaired and a new hip and 20 extra pounds!!

Yep, life is 100% lethal, just like rabies.

Genetics defines what we are, can't change them. Choose a healthy lifestyle and enjoy every day. Double knee replacement four years ago, just had a left redo this last mid-February. Back to work in two weeks and walking the dogs. Life is good at 73. :)

Not sure why that is Gim. I've cooked a lot of wild turkey and they usually turn out really well. A couple go to recipes for me is making jalapeno turkey poppers with them (like i do with pheasant), making a turkey schnitzel. Which is basically pounding a piece of breast meat flat, coat it in flour and fry it in oil. Cutting them into pieces or strips and frying them in shorelunch beer batter. And grilling a whole breast, wrapped in foil, with sliced onions, apples and sweet and sour sauce.

I usually brine and marinade for awhile but not always.

Managed to talk my wife out of her marinade recipe. First sprinkle with some Adolph's and pierce with a fork. Marinade, 1cup white wine, 1 cup lemon juice, 4T dijon mustard, 2t rosemary leaves, 2t oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste. Place turkey breast and marinade in a zip loc bag and place in fridge for the afternoon. Flip it over a few times. Also works with pheasant, but reduce the lemon juice by 1/2.

Wrap it in bacon, cook it on low heat for a long time, consume the bacon, and throw away the wild turkey. Works even better for canadian goose. lol
Try this. On Geese. First marinate 24 hours withvKosher Salt. Then marinate with recipe attached. Cut Goose breast in strips long ways wrap in bacon, cook medium rare. You won't believe how good it is...

Attachments

• Upland Bird Recipe.jpg
    Upland Bird Recipe.jpg
    873.3 KB · Views: 6
Shot this guy on Friday morning. This is the proper way to photograph a jake...lol He came in with 2 of his buddies and I could have shot all 3 of them. After I dropped him, they decided to attack the poor guy.
The morning started with a mad hen trying to peck the head off one of my decoys. I then had a tom coming in from 150 yards away strutting the whole time, but then he disappeared. The 3 jakes came in around 9:30 and I decided to fill my tag since the weather was taking a turn for the worse on Sat/Sun. He weighed 18.6# which is pretty big for a jake.
2023 turkey.jpg

He came in with 2 of his buddies and I could have shot all 3 of them. After I dropped him, they decided to attack the poor guy.
I'd take a jake the first chance I get too. I've had them attack decoys after shooting one too. I've also had them attack the one I shot after its stone dead. They can't figure out that one of their own kind just got blasted with a 12 gauge, can they?

Back