Some of the most boring photos you'll ever see

1pheas4

Some of you may find this interesting. Others, I know you already know about this kind of stuff so it will probably bore the heck out of you.:D

In the past, you may have read posts of mine talking about "pheasant dusting pots/bowls". What are they? What do they look like? How can observing them give you and idea about how pheasants doing in a particular area?

A pheasant dusting pot/bowl is a shallow, dusty, depression in the ground made by a pheasant. The bird shakes his body and feathers in a way to spread dust throughout his feathers and over his body. By doing so, the bird is able to rid himself of fleas, ticks, and other annoying organisms.

They can be a great way to observe how your birds are doing. Often pheasant prints, and at times feathers, are left behind as they preen feathers.

Large foot prints are left behind by adult roosters, smaller "large" tracks are adult hens, and smaller partridge looking tracks are left behind from pheasant chicks. Chick's feathers are often drab brownish tan and obviously smaller in size compared to adult birds.

Why do I used pheasant pots so often to observe bird #'s in areas instead of cackle counts alone? My reasoning is that roosters can remain quiet for a month or more. I don't know why this is, but in some areas I've observed a high call count, then nothing for a few weeks or even a month or more. The birds are in there, but for whatever reason they remain quiet.

One other reason, buy just observing cackle counts alone, how do we know what kind of hatch we had? Unfortunately we really don't. Dusting pots give us a good idea of a hatch.

Below are some photos from a week or two ago. I know it looks like your just looking at dirt, but within those photos look closely and you can see the depressions and broken soil on the ground made by wild pheasants near my home here in IL.

Just a note; the ground must be dry to observe dusting pots. If there's moister in the ground they can't make dust resulting in seeing nothing but dirt when you observe.

Also, don't mistake dove tracks for pheasant chick tracks.

Ground broken up. Pheasant dusting pot/bowl made by a rooster. (notice the feather and look closely to the left of the pot and you can see the rooster foot print)
picture.php

Ground broken up. Pheasant dusting pot/bowl made by a pheasant chick. (notice the small wing feather left behind from the pheasant chick)
picture.php

This is hard to see, but the ground between the hedgerow and the first row of corn has been broken up by birds pecking and scratching at the ground looking for insects and small pieces of gravel for their gut.

picture.php

This is an area where some nesting had occurred where these photos where taken.

picture.php

Last edited:
Good stuff. I can't see any tracks, but no doubt about what that is, dust pots. Thanks for sharing 1pheas4. :)

Not too boring to me 1Pheas! Cool stuff. What is a pheasant pot?

A pheasant pot is often the term used to describe where the bird roosted for the night, or, as I've shown above, where they dust themselves. Also known as "dusting bowls/pots".

Last edited:
I've heard that night roost referred to as a squat.

Thanks for sharing OldD.:) There's a lot of terms for the exact spot/area a pheasant used to bed down including a "roost" or "roosting spot" which is probably the most common term used.

Just to make sure I don't confuse anyone, the photos above are from pheasants dusting themselves not roosting. Thinking about it, I'll get some photos of those (roosting/pheasant pots) too once the nesting season is 100% done.

Last edited:
Good thread phez:thumbsup:
Gopher mounds, [pocket type]:) are good dusting areas, dry out nicely.:thumbsup: usually dig up some sand/grit type stuff.
Yeah, but, not to be confused with roosting areas.:cheers:

Thank you for these very interesting utterly boring photos. :D

I worked my dog this morning for about an hour. He flushed 10 wild hens and 2 wild roosters. From what I could tell 30% to 40% were this years hatch.

Anyway, I have a few pheasant photos from this morning. One photo is a close up of an immature rooster flying. But I'm having a problem pulling them up on the computer:confused:

I trimmed the photos with the camera, saved them to the chip, and now they won't come up on my computer:confused:

Does anyone have any advise?

Below are a couple photos from this morning that I did not trim so they came up. Sorry, they're really nothing to look at:(

Winston dragging his tongue after working birds (no, his ears are not cropped, he's running. lol)
picture.php

Changing leaves
picture.php

Changing leaves
picture.php

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics! I might be a pheasant geek but anything having to do with those birds interests me. Very cool to see the dusting spots. I've never noticed those before, I need to keep an eye out. Thanks again! :thumbsup: :coolpics:

great info sharing and great pics thanks

Thanks guys:)

I have some nice pheasant photos from yesterday I'd post too, but as I mentioned I can't take them off my memory card because I trimmed/cropped them in my camera:confused::(

Does anyone know what to do?

I always called it a "dusting spot" A good sign birds are around and in corn or tall cover with dirt on the bottom you'll find 'em. Wild sunflowers one of the best. They dust when they loaf ie are not moving or eating. The sunflowers provide overhead protection from hawks yet let some sun in when cool or cold and also provide dust.
Crops are coming out fast and so are the pheasant and deer sightings in my country. Unfortunately so are the coons and shunks!

I got Winston into another area again this morning on wild pheasants. I shot some more pictures and made sure I didn't crop them in the camera. I still can't get the pheasant photos from the other day off my camera!!

Anyway, Winston bumped 14-16 wild birds within the first 30 minutes of working the cover. The next hour didn't produce anything. I have a few "ok" photos worth posting. These are all from about 2 hours ago.

There's some good bird #'s this year!

Hen and a Rooster
picture.php

Hen
picture.php

Hen and Rooster
picture.php

This year's hatch--rooster
picture.php

pterodactyl--lol
picture.php

Ducks
picture.php

Last edited:
Here are the photos from the other day. This will be it. My photos are not the best, sorry. I still need some practice with this.

These are more wild pheasant about 15 minutes from my home.

picture.php

Hen
picture.php

Hen
picture.php

Young rooster
picture.php

Hen
picture.php

Hen
picture.php

we were out in an undisclosed :D area about 5 mins from home the last two nights. Only moved one hen but have heard others cackling. Nice to have the cooler weather. Im now looking for these dusting bowls. may have found some but not sure..

Back