Some of the most boring photos you'll ever see

1pheas4, great wild pheasant photos, thats what I call, PHEASANT FUN! Hearing them crow in the spring and looking for chicks in late summer, its all good.

Pheasant fun is not just hunting them in the fall but flushing and watching them all year. You realize of course, that you are a lucky man (I should say, a chosen few) that live close to a healthy wild pheasant population.

Keep the wild pheasant photos coming.

we were out in an undisclosed :D area about 5 mins from home the last two nights. Only moved one hen but have heard others cackling. Nice to have the cooler weather. Im now looking for these dusting bowls. may have found some but not sure..

lol. I have a feeling I know which area your talking about.;)

That whole area is looking very good. More habitat going in next year too.:thumbsup:

The pictures are getting a bit better. Getting good photos of wild birds is harder than I thought! I have a new found respect for Rodger Hill. lol

These roosters where flushed about 1 hour ago.

Wild/mature ring neck pheasant
picture.php

This year's hatch--rooster (he flew into the sun. Sorry about the lack of color)
picture.php

This year's hatch
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Young rooster
picture.php

Nice! Is the pooch putting those up??

Yeah. I pushed a corn field with him then worked the cover at the end. Most birds just ran back into the corn so I'd call him off their sent. There's a lot of young birds yet.:)

Nice set of pics, those young roosters will get their color fast. Are you planning to put a couple in the bag soon?:thumbsup:

Nice set of pics, those young roosters will get their color fast. Are you planning to put a couple in the bag soon?:thumbsup:

God willing I'll be out there opening week:thumbsup:. The opener itself may not work out this season. My family and business seem to be taking over my fall hunting plans in this stage of my life. lol

It's all good;)

Either way I'll get out there.:):cheers:

(post 1 of 2)Temps were in the mid-20's today. A good day to check on wild birds. With our winter being mild and lacking heavy snow fall there really isn't any reason for concern. Regardless I still wanted to check them out and work the dog.

Everything was good. Hens and roosters were mostly in groups of hens only and roosters only. I came across 3-4 dozen separate tracks in the dusting of snow on the ground. All were from today. Good news.

Habitat loss from this past fall is not looking good for birds in this area come this spring. One area I always found birds in and where they loved to nest is in completely gone. It really makes me sick to see what's happening to our beloved land. It's a real shame.

Below are some photos from today. Wild birds and one of my dog "Winston" taking a break from working the cover. Again, there's 2 separate posts with photos. This is the 1st one.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

This was a nice rooster! Just not in the right spot for a good photo.
picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
post 2 of 2. Scroll UP for the first set of pics from today

picture.php

Winston taking a break in the snow
picture.php

This is a photo of an area of what was a very nice grassland for birds. It's now bare ground soon to be corn and drifting over with top soil. That's 1 inch of top soil on top of the snow!
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
Those are some awesome pics minus the drifting top soil one.:(:coolpics:

These are beautiful pictures. I plan to come out to pheasant country during the off season so I can go out and watch for birds and see what they do.

stunning photographs...really love the one of the rooster coming towards you...not often you see that viewpoint:cool:...-20 wow, we have been having vey high temperatures for our area...it got up to 37degreesC two weeks ago...drought mode!!

trapday131005-1.jpg

stunning photographs...really love the one of the rooster coming towards you...not often you see that viewpoint:cool:...-20 wow, we have been having vey high temperatures for our area...it got up to 37degreesC two weeks ago...drought mode!!

It's difficult to tell in that photo, but that rooster was flying away from me. When the Winston got birdie on him, I had a gut feeling I should have been walking on the ice below, but instead I stayed on top of the hill in case the bird flue to my left. Sure enough, it was a big rooster and he went to the right.

Anyway, if I was on the frozen pond he would have given me a great side shot/photo. Winston flushed him about 10ft from me.

It's difficult being in the right place in the right time with these birds plus the camera doesn't always know what to focus on. Often birds will flush and the camera won't snap or it will focus on a tree, cattail, or teasel. Still a good time though.

P.S.--nice picture of your dog working;)

Thanks for the pics, good job! This is a good time of the year to study what the pheasants are up to. Lack of snow is a plus for the birds. Especially where habitat is short.
Hope Your birds have good nesting.

She is not my dog, unfortunately, but I have her lovely litter sister...

1pheas4 is the lift of the soil due to the permafrost underneath?

Oh seeing those birds...we still have 95 days to our Opening Day:(:eek:

She is not my dog, unfortunately, but I have her lovely litter sister...

1pheas4 is the lift of the soil due to the permafrost underneath?

Oh seeing those birds...we still have 95 days to our Opening Day:(:eek:

95 days isn't bad:) We have much longer to go here in the U.S.:rolleyes:

Top soil photo---We don't have permafrost here Tori.;) What you see is the beginning and unfortunate result of habitat loss. What's happening is blowing winds are pushing surrounding top soils into this low area, filling it in. Once the heavy rains return this soil will be washed away and gone forever. The picture is a close up. What you see in it goes the entire length of the field.:(

Where the photo was taken habitat once stood and pheasants, deer, cotton tail rabbits, song birds, and all kinds of other wildlife lived and utilized it. Even Hungarian Partridge returned to this area last year.

Back