Some of the most boring photos you'll ever see

So what sort of area of land is party to this...it must be devastating to watch this happen...as we know over here as well, once the habitat is gone it is never restored...

So what sort of area of land is party to this...it must be devastating to watch this happen...as we know over here as well, once the habitat is gone it is never restored...

I'm not sure I understand exactly what your asking Tori. Sorry:eek:

Yes, it's disheartening, sad, worrisome, and disappointing:(

Preston; Tell me what you think my friend. (Hope you don't mind me taking our email conversations to the public:eek:)

Check these wild birds out in the flickr link below (multiple pages of predators and pheasants). They obviously have a different genetic line from the birds in my photos. Notice how "bold" they are despite the number of predators in their area. We used to see our birds (here in Illinois/Wisconsin) doing the same pre-1995.

As I mentioned before, even in areas with great habitat and good numbers of birds, they are never or seldom seen crossing roads. When they do, it's a very fast "get the heck out of here" run/flush and often in very little light. Never do we see these birds in a field feeding.

It's photos like this that make me think there may be something behind my theory as to why our birds are not venturing out and cross breeding with other wild birds. Maybe:confused:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcstep/with/6859892363/#photo_6859892363

Last edited:
She is not my dog, unfortunately, but I have her lovely litter sister...

1pheas4 is the lift of the soil due to the permafrost underneath?

Oh seeing those birds...we still have 95 days to our Opening Day:(:eek:

Tori, The land in the pic is grassland tilled and going into crops this Spring.
The uneven ground is from rough tilling and erosion both wind and water.
No permafrost in Illinois. :)

These are beautiful pictures. I plan to come out to pheasant country during the off season so I can go out and watch for birds and see what they do.

People from all over the country, well outside of the traditional pheasant range, admire wild pheasants.
I just wanted to tell the Florida Man that he may not have to travel for hundreds of miles to the midwest pheasant country to watch wild pheasants off season. There is a strong possibility that you may have scattered wild colonies of pheasants already in Florida, you just have to know where to look.

My brother-in-law worked for the railroad in Florida for years. A freight train traveling through the back country is really a good spot to see wildlife. He told me that he saw all kind of wildlife, turkeys, quail, deer, wild hogs, bears and yes he also said that he would see pheasants. Well maybe a few escape a shooting preserve.

Look at the link below: http://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/nonnatives/birds/ring-necked-pheasant/

But since that time I have spoke to numerous individuals that reported seeing wild acting ringneck pheasants in Florida.
The Formosa Ringneck pheasant is almost identical to any Kansas ringneck. Main point, Taiwan (formally Formosa) is on the same parallel as Miami, warm and humid, so wild ringneck pheasants came survive in warm humid climates. Pheasants in warm climate need nesting cover, moisture in summer and protection from predators more than grain.
Pheasants will eventually adapt to an area. They adapted to Mexicali Mexico and to parts of Texas after almost 50 years and wild and predator wary strains of pheasants.
Look at article below:
http://amarillo.com/stories/120201/whe_legionsofspo.shtml

1pheas4, I don't mind at all, the more the public knows about wild pheasant survival the better in the long run for wild pheasants.

Last edited:
But since that time I have spoke to numerous individuals that reported seeing wild acting ringneck pheasants in Florida.
The Formosa Ringneck pheasant is almost identical to any Kansas ringneck. Main point, Taiwan (formally Formosa) is on the same parallel as Miami, warm and humid, so wild ringneck pheasants came survive in warm humid climates. Pheasants in warm climate need nesting cover, moisture in summer and protection from predators more than grain.

I hope that's the case Pres! It's good to know (despite declining pheasant numbers in all too many states) they are indeed expanding their range.

I've posted this video some time ago. It's a 3 part video about the Formosa pheasants in Taiwan. For anyone interested in watching, notice how Prestons point regarding Florida's habitat closely relates to the Formosa ring neck pheasant's native habitat in Taiwan.
This is part 1 of 3 if anyone is interested http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCWJkKjjra8 .

Compare the difference in native habitat with the hagenbecki or Pallasi's habitat; http://blog1.poco.cn/myBlogDetail.php?&id=5459925&user_id=6419191&pri=&n=0&stat_request_channel=

I have been going to North Central Kansas, Town of Downs, for the past thirteen years for the opening weekend of the season. I have been a few times for late season too. I love it. I wish we would get a few flocks of pheasants down here. I have seen plenty of turkeys, deer, bears and a panther out in the glades as well as tons of hogs. Florida has a good population of wildlife that is unfortunately getting a good mix of released/escaped "pets" such as the Burmese Pythons and the African rock pythons. Fortunately you don't see those in Kansas.

Back