Social media feuds among outdoorsmen

I read this, but I'm not a big fan if big game hunters, so I'll leave it at that.Im not a big fisherman, I eat what I catch, when I fish.I don't wear orange, and I don't pay to hunt.I get excellent hunting every year, because I am a professional.

I read this, but I'm not a big fan if big game hunters, so I'll leave it at that.Im not a big fisherman, I eat what I catch, when I fish.I don't wear orange, and I don't pay to hunt.I get excellent hunting every year, because I am a professional.

Your quote above could be somewhat true. But the article being posted talks about negative comments from others when someone tries to post success or has questions. I would say most of your comments about others are negative on here. You post alot of "thumbs down" when someone is trying to share their story or be positive. There are ways to do things and proper etiquette when talking to people. But some people tend to be very rude behind a keyboard. And since technology and the internet are going to have an effect on the way hunting goes in the future, people need to learn to use them in a mentoring manner. We as adults know how to hunt, but for kids or first timers, the first thing they do is search the internet for things they need and advice to be successful. I personally do not let my daughter on hunting forums because shes 15, already excited about hunting, and I dont want her to read negative literature about something we both love. My 2 cents.

Here's a personal experience with a scolding outdoorsman. I was fly fishing on a famous river of the mountain west. I hooked a big trout and was playing it a bit due to light tippet. A nearby fisherman - a complete stranger - remarks to his buddy in a loud voice intended for me to hear that, in so many words, what I was doing with the fish was all wrong. Should that happen again and it is legal to keep the fish, I'll bring it ashore and kill it (I love eating trout). I am always somewhat relieved when I go trout fish some place and there are people fishing by means other than fly fishing.

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan if big game hunters

Some years ago a retiring Kansas game warden had an article in the KS wildlife magazine reminiscing about his years afield. One bit of info stunned me: He said that he had never checked a deer camp where everybody was legal and on the up and up. Never.

That does not surprise me.In Montana, most big game hunters are uneducated hicks.They are the reason bird hunters can't gain access .

I agree, but I an also trying to educate people. My point is,you don't have to pay, to get excellent hunting, you don't need to wear orange, you don't need to be a big game Hunter, you don't need to release fish over 12 inches, you don't need to spend money on dog training, they will learn it on their own.

because I am a professional.

This suggests that you make a living or partial living on the outdoors ...

Some years ago a retiring Kansas game warden had an article in the KS wildlife magazine reminiscing about his years afield. One bit of info stunned me: He said that he had never checked a deer camp where everybody was legal and on the up and up. Never.

That's a startling comment from a warden. Most Wisconsin deer hunters I know are legit, ethical hunters. Sure, there are always slobs out there, as there are in any sport, but "never"?

We got stopped coming out of County land on our way back to camp for lunch during the WI deer season some years ago. Wardens checked the 3 of us, rifles cased and empty, licences OK, good to go. The next vehicle, however, was not good to go. Both men had loaded rifles in the pickup cab with them. One had a look of dismay, bumming badly, as the warden unloaded the rifle. The other slob had a look of pure defiance. They deserved whatever fine they received.

No education necessary. And you're right, dont have to pay to play if you dont want too. Just like you don't have to pay the neighborhood kid to mow your yard. I choose to because the kid wants to make money and he does a good job. And it stimulates the economy when you pay for services. But yes I can mow my own yard. And I've also been to Montana hunting. It's nothing like you describe at all. I never saw another hunter whether it was big game or upland. Saw one group of waterfowlers the 2nd day. Most ranchers, once they found out that we were hunting pheasants, said "go right ahead" like it wasn't a big deal at all. If there are pay to play big ranches up there, which, Im sure there are, but I did not see or even hear of any. And on top of that there is countless miles of ground to hunt. My point is: it's not hard to hunt in montana. But in other parts of the world, it can be. So people pay to play and its their given right too. I don't normally but I have before because it was a spur of the moment trip and there was not much public ground where we were going, and it was a short trip. No time to scout. You already pay to hunt. Unless you dont buy a license. But you should be a fan of people that pay to play, if they are paying to hunt then that leaves more non-pay hunt land for you! So quit complaining about nothing!!!

I agree, but I an also trying to educate people. My point is,you don't have to pay, to get excellent hunting, you don't need to wear orange, you don't need to be a big game Hunter, you don't need to release fish over 12 inches, you don't need to spend money on dog training, they will learn it on their own.

This has to be one of the funniest things I have read in awhile....."but I an also trying to educate people." God help who would ever look to this person for educational guidance.

You also get excellent hunting every year because your dad pays for you to go on private land, as you've mentioned several times in previous posts.

This has to be one of the funniest things I have read in awhile....."but I an also trying to educate people." God help who would ever look to this person for educational guidance.

C'mon I am sure Moochmaster has taught people plenty. Sometimes we learn more from those that act like we don't want to act than from those that do.

C'mon I am sure Moochmaster has taught people plenty. Sometimes we learn more from those that act like we don't want to act than from those that do.

"Moochmaster?" Good one! :thumbsup:

“MoochMaster”. Nailed it!

I don't think you see the social media feuding with pheasant hunting as much as you do with fishing, big-game or the like. In terms of pheasant hunting, the feuding becomes the whole concept of people trying to use the 'Net to scout or pick up on good locations. I've seen this on both this forum and all over Facebook.

If someone asks an opinion about pheasant hunting, I'm happy to share as it's my passion and being in Kansas with over a million acres of public land, there seems to be a lot to go around. Plus, maybe my passion can help the younger generation understand why this sport is so wonderful.

Basically, trolls gonna troll.

There is an Indiana hunting forum that I left because of all the assholes. It's like they only used the forum when they were drunk or something.

I think it's funny that this thread turned into a feud almost instantly. The internet is amazing for it's ability to take strangers from all over the place who have one thing in common, put them in touch with each other so that they can fight about the one thing they have in common. It's truly amazing.

That struck me right away also. I think a lot of people hit the forums when they have had a few too many beers and are not happy about how their night is going. Not generally UPH, but the facebook ones for sure are that way. I can't believe some of the comments. Honestly, I don't know why anyone would subject themselves to all that BS by posting their deer photo on a social media group.

This is generally a pretty amiable, friendly, and supportive group. And it sure seems like any ugliness is handled fairly swiftly.

must have been a forum guy that come up with the saying . The more I am around people the more I like my dog.:eek:

Back