So who got out today?

slickrox

5 below when my brittany Dakota and I hit the first field. The little bit of snow sure helped identify fields that held birds. Got two and should have had three but thought it made sense to leave the dog in the car for a short walk. Knocked the rooster down but couldn't find him (my nose doesn't work as good as the dog's, apparently). Came back to the jeep to see a disgusted look on Dakota's face. Saw more hunters than I thought I would on a bitter cold Friday. Good luck to everyone going out this weekend, they're out there and a lot of the corn is down now.

I was out today. I kicked up a few birds but I only had one good shot on a rooster and I missed of course.

I am pretty happy with where I am hunting right now though so hopefully I will get another chance in the coming weeks. Had a blast like I always do.....

We're you solo, too? My hunting buddy backed out at the last minute so it was just me and the dog. Anywhere I found the red Kochia across the road from cut corn, I found birds. I hunted all walk in. Been doing mostly Kansas and this was the first time in a while that I stayed In Colorado. Everytime I saw hunters out there today in the cold temps, I knew they were hardcore. Keep workin it and you'll get in to 'em.

Last edited:
This time I was hunting with a buddy but I am solo a lot. tbh I am still learning how do this and this is the first year I am taking it really serious so i don't mind if I don't get anything. It's all a big learning experience right now.

The birds did seem to hold better this morning.......:)

Yea, and they were real close to the road, too. If hens were in, I could have had shots at probably 20 or 30. Good news for next year I guess. Best numbers I've seen in Colorado in a long time, plus it's beats work any day even if you don't bring anything home.

Finally made the trip out to Logan and Phillips county yesterday. Besides freezing our asses off in the morning, we had a great day. The snow confirmed that nearly every likely place we entered had birds, pretty incredible cover out there to say the least. Brought back three birds (should have limited out) between the two of us but the best part was the sheer number of hens that we saw, they seemed to outnumber the roosters 10 to 1.

Was out all day both Thurs & Fri on a two-day hunt just across the border from CO in NE...Real hard to pass up - got lucky on an invite with a group to hunt lots of private land!

There was a whole lotta shivering and teeth-clattering going on (especially on Thurs), but WOW were we in the birds!!! :D

A friend and I and my two labs hunted various WIA properties between Julesburg and Holyoke all day Saturday. We were birdless and shootless. We saw about 15 total birds, half roosters. Only one rooster flushed within range and we didn't have our guns ready yet as we had just exited the vehicle. It was sure a nice day to be out.

We went out today, found the birds grouped up with the weather. Made for a great day of hunting everyone in the group shot their limit.

I have crawled off the tractor and hunted two days this week. We have shot around 50 birds and have left plenty for seed. Yesterday the shooting was awful. Private ground is the difference and being local.

I have crawled off the tractor and hunted two days this week. We have shot around 50 birds and have left plenty for seed. Yesterday the shooting was awful. Private ground is the difference and being local.

You're a very fortunate man:D. It took me until this year to get comfortable with knocking on landowners doors. Suprisingly most say yes when they see it's just me, one friend, and my dog.

Nice work! I was out Friday and Saturday and did well. Hunted with large group on Friday and shot about 15. Saturday I hunted with three others. We only shot 2 roosters and a quail on Saturday, but should have had a few more. Needless to say, it was a blast!

Well I had more chances at a bird today then I have ever had. LOL that's the good news. I missed everything. :eek: Still had a blast and I know I am just learning so it's going to get better.

First time hunting in snow and I can see how it makes tracking the birds easier.

I have a question so i will try and make this as short as possible.

The first property I tried had some cut down corn in the middle and a bit of high grass around the edges so i thought it would be a good spot. So i parked the car 1/4 mile down the road and was careful not to slam the door. I let the dogs out and off we went.

I start seeing tracks right away. I get on top of a small hill and i see behind it there is a patch of real thick brush 300 yards away still on the property i can hunt. Sweet! I head over there. As I start to get close I hear pheasants making what ever noise it is they make. My dogs and I come in on the right side of the brush and they run/flush out the left side. I try the next section of brush coming in the left side and they run/flush out the right. This happens all the way through never giving me a shot really. I mean I took some shots but it seemed like they were always just a little out of range. :D

Is there something I could have done different/better. I was hunting on my own. fwiw

Also I flushed 100+ birds out of one spot today. Missed everything :D Will the birds be back there next weekend or have I scared them away from that spot for a long time?

Thanks in advance for any info/pointers I get.

Neil

Thats called pheasant hunting. Next time approach it different and see how it works. Some groups of birds you can start to pattern their blow out point if that makes sense. Sometimes you never figure it out. They are starting to get real jumpy. I hunted yesterday we did well. First few spots we hit they were blowing before we could even get out of the vehicle. 100 bird groups are always gonna be jumpy to many eyes ears etc.

Thanks engpointerman!

The spot I flushed 100+ was a really nice spot. I would love to try and hunt it a different way. Do the birds come back?

Srry if these are totally noob questions. I really had a great time out there today so i am kinda freaking out now..... :D

Seeing 100+ birds made me think I might have shot myself and I was in heaven hunting.

If its cold and snowy yes they will be back. Weather gets nice they will dispurse out again. Maybe they will stay to but I would call it weather related. Thats why we like snow.

Sometime there is nothing you can do birds are just going to flush wild, Keep going when that happens as maybe theres some dumb birds holding. Ive been out on days where some fields flush wild and the next they hold. Go figure.
Keep going back to the places you see birds as they are there for a reason and will keep coming back. I have one little shelter belt I hunt that every time I go in theres birds,I have even gone back several times a day and it refills pretty quik.
I see your from the same neck of the woods as me, Let me know I you ever need company.

Awesome!!!!

So the next time it snows I am going to call off work and go back!!!!

I will keep that in mind cowdog. I don't think you want me coming along right now though I am really bad at this right now and my dogs aren't great either. My Golden is ok he has flushed a few but my lab is driving me nuts. They are both just really young and need more work....

Thanks for the info guys. :cheers:

You won't be comin with me Ill be goin with you as Im broke. I got some good private that might help you and a good lab that will make up for your young dogs and maybe teach them something :cheers:

Back