Smith & Wesson Elite Gold SXS

Dakotazeb

I was surfing gunBroker.com and ran across a Smith & Wesson Elite Gold SXS. I didn't realize S&W had made a SXS. Looks like a really nice shotgun. Has anyone out there had any experience with one of these?

LGSmith_and_Wesson_Left_045-1196x27.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
It's made in Turkey for Smith & Wesson. They don't build the gun

True, they are made in Turkey, but the new S&W shotguns are a ground-up creation, done in-house by S&W itself. And the factories that are producing these guns were also built from scratch and are producing exclusively for S&W, under rigorous scrutiny.

All the reviews I've read are very positive. They say the guns have an amazing fit & finish.

Looking on GunBroker.com it looks like a new one could be had for around $1,500. But then I could maybe find a nice used BSS for the same money. Wonder how the S&W would compare to a BSS?

Would really like to handle one but like many guns I like. It's rare to find one on the shelf. I will go with your corection. Now that you say it. Your right, S&W does own the factory. You Jared my memory

George, I don't know much about the gun I have not seen them in the stores. It would depend how willing S&W are to stand behind the gun if something should go wrong. Broken firing pin or something like that..........Bob

With S&W's reputation and considering how long they have been around I wouldn't worry about it. They have obviously invested a lot in this new facility in Turkey so I can't believe they would just walk away. Looks like a long-term commitment to me.

I'd like to see on of their SXS's. I do wish the gun had a butt plate instead of just checkered wood. But that would be easily remedied.

They are nice guns, I have had one in my hands. Staright stock or Churchill grip(Like Browning Round knob). Fast and lite like a good Europeon gun. They also make and o/u at same factoryt in Turkey as previously described. I had hoped to see one at the Gunshow but did not. Curiously noted, there were a lot of Brownings BSS there, $1,200 to $2,000. THEY ARE WELL MADE GUNS, BUT TOO HEAVY FOR A SXS IN MY OPINION AND REGARDLESS OF THOSE THAT ARE STRAIGHT STOCKED, THEY ALL HAVE BEAVERTAIL FORE ENDS.
________
BUY NO2 VAPORIZER

Last edited:
The one I held was rather clubby feeling. Thick in the wrist and was VERY heavy. If I remember right it was way over 7 lbs for the 20 ga.:eek:
You can buy a much better gun for a lot less money IMO.:thumbsup:

I do not recall that it was heavy. Thick in the wrist, possibly as a lot of boxlocks are. These guns list a good bit higher than the $1,500 you can get them for--like $2,300.
________
HOT BOX VAPE

Last edited:
The one I held was rather clubby feeling. Thick in the wrist and was VERY heavy. If I remember right it was way over 7 lbs for the 20 ga.:eek:
You can buy a much better gun for a lot less money IMO.:thumbsup:

You must be confusing this with another gun. S&W lists them at about 6.5 lbs. Nothing I have read indicated they were heavy or clubby.

Uncle Buck, Are you saying the S&W is better than a BSS? I had a BSS 20 ga. 26" barrels when they first came out. Sold it in 1985 for $285 when I needed some funds. Wish I had never done that. Personally I like the beavertail forends and I don't remember the BSS as being heavy. But that was 25 years ago. I always thought it was a well made gun.

S&W might list them as 6.5 pounds but the one that I looked at and had weighed was greater than 7 pounds. That is not uncommon for gun manufacturers to be very generous in their estimations of weight.
My Franchi Destino is supposed to weigh 6 3/4 pounds and actually weighs 7 pounds 6 ounces.:eek: I think they usually say something about wood density etc. I think that is way too heavy for a 20ga field gun. Box locks don't have to be thick in the wrist and I remember the S&W being thicker than I like.
It all boils down to what you like for your money. In my case I wouldn't buy one. For $1500 you can pick up a new AYA #4, a classic upland field gun that does only weigh a little over 6 pounds and that's in 12 ga.:thumbsup:

You must be confusing this with another gun. S&W lists them at about 6.5 lbs. Nothing I have read indicated they were heavy or clubby.

Uncle Buck, Are you saying the S&W is better than a BSS? I had a BSS 20 ga. 26" barrels when they first came out. Sold it in 1985 for $285 when I needed some funds. Wish I had never done that. Personally I like the beavertail forends and I don't remember the BSS as being heavy. But that was 25 years ago. I always thought it was a well made gun.

Not better, just heavier and personal preference. The Browning was very well made in Japan. They also made a very rare sxs sidelock more to my style. I wished I had bought a bunch of BSS before they went out of site. I found one for a guy that I guided once for $450--about 2001 I beleive. I beleive you are correct at 6.5#.
________
Hotels In Mexico

Last edited:
Looks to be a very nice gun George, I could go for that myself. Only my wife said I have to many new guns already........Bob

The BSS Browning's are a outstanding gun. Only draw back to them is no choke tubes, just like my Citori 20ga feather light. Mine has too thin of barrel's to put tubes in also. That might be something to consider when buying any of the SxS's without tubes. You may be stuck with a fixed choke gun that only shoots high dollar Prem non toxic only. That's if the lead ban continues to grow.

Onpoint

That BSS is a 20 ga. with 26" barrels choked IC/Mod. With the IC/Mod chokes I don't care if they are fixed as it's the only chokes I'd use anyway even if it had tubes. It will work for 99% of what I'd use it for.

Much better chokes then my Citori which is Imp Mod and Full but remember those are lead shot chokes. If your barrel's a very thin walled. They may not put up with shooting steel shot though them

Just something to think about, if you were forced to go to a non toxic shot.

If your like me, you will still buy it and work around that problem if the price is right

RPG

They might be lead shot chokes but they should handle some #4 steel used only occasionally. Or am I wrong on this? It's not like I'd be shooting much steel or any large size shot.

Back