Shrooms!

-Wildcat-

Super Moderator
Should be out in full force this weekend, given the past week's weather. Who's going "hunting"? I most likely am! :cheers:

We're likely a month away from Morels here.

we found over 200 yesterday.One spot produce 80-90 in a 50 yd section.t will be agood year. will be going out this pm after work.we found one blond that was 6 inches tall,and 6 inches around.

I took my dog for an exercise run yesterday evening along the Kansas River. She stopped and began looking into the woods; I followed her gaze thinking she'd spotted a deer but instead I saw two guys plus their dog. I thought they were doing the same thing I was: just out walking their dog.

They finally broke cover and walked up to me, one guy carrying a small backpack. Their behavior was rather circumspect, like illegals who'd just swam north across the Rio Grande? We started visitng about dogs and eventually they mentioned that they'd been back in the woods hunting mushrooms and, "We found just a few."

I couldn't help but smile. A lot of people just go crazy hunting mushrooms, practically live for those hunts each spring. For some it must be every bit as exciting as upland and waterfowl hunting is for folks like us.

And to think that people are finding mushrooms in March. Is that weird or what?

we found over 200 yesterday.One spot produce 80-90 in a 50 yd section.t will be agood year. will be going out this pm after work.we found one blond that was 6 inches tall,and 6 inches around.

i was wanting to go , i thought it might be to early maybe not ? what part of state did you find them in ks or ???

Any of you guys interested in selling some? Been wanting to get into this for years, always very busy in the Spring with coaching, figured I'd check and see if anyone had any they'd be willing to sell. Thanks

i was wanting to go , i thought it might be to early maybe not ? what part of state did you find them in ks or ???

sek, look in any strip pit land,alot of public down here.We found 128 more today,in about 1.5 hours.look in the bottoms,or the west facing slopes,also look for dead cottonwoods.If you find one,look real hard,because there willbe more.Nevfer have found them tis early in the year.It's messing up my turkey scouting.

Found a ton today. Probably found over 20 lbs. if anyone is iPhone savvy I would love to learn how to upload a pic from it.

Any of you guys interested in selling some? Been wanting to get into this for years, always very busy in the Spring with coaching, figured I'd check and see if anyone had any they'd be willing to sell. Thanks

check your farmers markets and expect to pay $20.00 to $30.00 per lb. My cousins in MO are out in force and finding them. They hunt them and sell'em to support their deer hunting antics. Crazy Hillbillys:D

http://m1152.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/Biggchief001/Snapbucket/9A4C2E89.jpg.html?o=1&newest=1
9A4C2E89.jpg.html

http://m1152.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/Biggchief001/Snapbucket/F831D9C7.jpg.html?o=0&newest=1

Here are a couple of pics from yesterday's haul.

Last edited:
Don't have the haul that Cory got, but here is my 15 month old picking his first yesterday-

attachment.php

Cheesy, FUN! COOL pic.:thumbsup:

Thanks to Corey I'll be eating morels tonight! I do appreciate your genorosity and getting to your spot was half the fun of the trip:thumbsup: I'm thinking a guy could catch a few catfish back in that hole.

Anyway, one of my employees is off today chasing shrooms. He's hunting the same general area that we were in but isn't seeing any. He's a life-long mushroom hunter that has a lot of good spots. Point being, though folks are finding them already, it's still a bit early and I don't think the season has come close to "peaking" yet. Hopefully the rain showers come this evening and the nightly lows don't drop too low. The next few days could be very productive:cheers: Catfish and Morels for dinner tonight:)

Last edited:
You are more than welcome KB. Hope you and the family enjoy them. I would have to agree that a man could probably make a whole meal in that one spot. Maybe next time I will soak some lines while I search out some more tasty mushrooms. I too agree that they haven't peaked yet as many of my other good spots aren't really producing just yet. Let's keep our fingers crossed that we get some more rain tonight.

had the day off,found over 150 without even trying.Never have had it so good.If we could get a little rain,man would they ever pop big time.

Back