Shooting High

wapete

I've been hunting for about 20 years and developed a new issue toward the end of last year and this season. I seem to shoot over birds (including two yesterday which really pissed off my pup). Its in my head now and I'm working on shooting lower but I can't seem to fix it, I've been working on this all season! I've thought about a new gun which may fit better (I'm 6'4 with longer arms) or new technique. Has anyone else fixed this issue? Any advice?

Thanks!

I have patterned quite a few shotguns and most all pattern higher than center. Pattern your gun. Go to a clays range (trap, skeet, sporting) and find a station that mimicks your typical shot in the field. If you cannot self correct and you have the resources - maybe buy an hour with an instructor.

Most likely raising your head to see, hard to say, there could be lots of reasons. If it’s the same gun you had success with before then it’s most likely something you are doing.

I have developed a similar problem that past couple of years. Just not squaring up birds like I use to and feel I'm shooting over them. I've been shooting a shotgun for over 60 years and have always been an excellent shot. However, I've really struggled lately. At 74 years of age I'm starting to think it is an age related issue due to stiffness and lack of flexibility. I don't think it has anything to do with the gun as I appear to have the same issue with all my guns. Some how I've got to make an adjustment. Although maybe a new Benelli 828U would get me back on track! :)

Thank you all - I am 100% sure its something I am doing (vs. the gun's fault but a new gun would be nice). It's such a challenging sport when you connect on the dogs/spot/weather and totally miss the shot its just humbling. Every bird in the bag is mighty fine reward.

My dad was a very good shooter up until about 68 or so. He could still shoot geese well, but I am pretty sure he would kill one or two pheasants a year with us in his late 60s and it didn't phase him a bit. It was great having him along. The amount of cover that you can cover when you have a person drop you off and pick you up on the other side ... Great times.

What makes you think you're shooting high?? Just a feeling??
Since you've been hunting 20 years, let's assume you didn't just sprout to 6'-4" in the last year, & your gun fits the same as every other year.
If you're right, I think the most likely culprit is that for some reason, your face isn't meeting your stock.
Obviously you have to lower your head some, but ideally your stock should come up to meet your face; not lowering your face to meet the stock. If you're having to lower your face to the stock, maybe there's a reason the stock isn't getting up high enough. Getting caught on loose clothing?? Maybe you recently added a thick butt pad to compensate for longer arms??
Another couple reasons I think we tend to not get the stock up are:
1. Tall cover. If we're in tall cover, it's easy to want to stretch out, thinking we have to in order to see the bird above the weeds. Head & stock don't meet.
2. Gimmes. We're so eager to see those easy ones go up in a puff of feathers that we lift our heads slightly to enjoy the view that never happens.
3. And the biggest reason.....rushing things. The ability to relax when a rooster flushes comes with experience/repetition, but sometimes you have to consciously force yourself to breathe & take an extra second to really see the bird BEFORE mounting the gun completely. I think the better your brain sees the bird & its actual flight path, the more likely your mount will be a good one.
A friend told me about these problems. Luckily I've never experienced any of them myself. :rolleyes:

I've been hunting for about 20 years and developed a new issue toward the end of last year and this season. I seem to shoot over birds (including two yesterday which really pissed off my pup). Its in my head now and I'm working on shooting lower but I can't seem to fix it, I've been working on this all season! I've thought about a new gun which may fit better (I'm 6'4 with longer arms) or new technique. Has anyone else fixed this issue? Any advice?

Thanks!
repeatedly shoulder your gun with an emphasis on digging the stock into your cheek and seeing down barrel and the sight(s) correctly. remind yourself that modern shot shells have gobs of range. no hurry.

Appreciated. I think rushing it has alot to do with it. My brother had a similar issue a couple years back. He suggested only loading one shell for a while- that forces you to take your time and make it count. Anyone heard of that - or other tricks to force taking it slow?

I agree with A5. I have a terrible problem of shooting as fast as I can pull the trigger. I am notorious for killing birds on my 2nd shot. I reality, my 2nd shot is coming at the time my first shot should be happening. If you mount your gun and you can see your bead above your barrel, with a little extra barrel showing, you'll be missing high. I know I did this on my last rooster that flushed 5 feet from me. It super important to bring the gun up to your face and not the other way around. Stand as tall as you can and bring that gun UP......If you can remember, which is the hard part. On my your next close flush.....make it a point to aim below your bird and then come up to it. I'll be practicing it myself. Good luck.

Another little tip perhaps, is to emphasize "leaning into" the shot. Getting 70 / 30 % of your weight on the front foot helps you barrel down and reduces that recoil. I drill that into myself when shooting clays

Thanks!
Curious... is this the same gun you've been using for 20 years or did you recently purchase (as in a year ago or so) a new one?

There could be many reasons for shooting high if that is in fact where your shooting. Gun fit and lifting your head are probably the most common issues.

Ok i just saw that you talked about buying a new gun. Being tall with long arms presents some issues for someone buying a gun off the rack. For one the length of pull may be too short and there may not be enough drop to comb. On most average hunting stocks if you add length this will add to the drop to comb measurement as your cheek now rests further back on the comb, thus causing the gun to shoot lower. This may be your issue dunno?

When you mount the gun like you would on a flushing bird do you see a lot of rib? In other words are you looking straight down the flat rib seeing the bead only or are you seeing a little rib, or a lot of rib (top of the rib)? If you see a lot of rib the gun will shoot high. How much unfortunately is anyone's guess until you can get to a pattern board. Most field guns are set up to shoot maybe a tad high 60/40 or 55/45 depending on your build.

But the fact that you said you've shot this gun ok in the past is a little puzzling. Are you getting the gun all the way into your shoulder pocket?

Last edited:
I shoot hot and cold sometimes in the same day. I do think I rush shots often and I do think that with advancing age my neck isn't as flexible to get down on the stock as well. My wife and I have pretty much talked our local group into getting that new Garmin Aero? the machine that analyzes your shot to tell you whether you are high, late behind etc. Once snow goes away I want to put that to good use, I think it identify my problem clearer than guessing.

To the OP: Has there been a significant change in your facial structure or weight?

It is entirely possible that your gun fit has changed. If your eye is higher when you mount the gun, your shot charges will impact higher.

Check out this resource:

See the image of the eye over the rib. Have someone verify this with you. (With an absolutely empty gun.)

Like they ^ said:

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

Ratchet everything down and take your time. You got the same guns, shells, arms, and eyes...slow your brain down.

It will ease back to your former skill level.

Have a good new year.

My dad was a very good shooter up until about 68 or so. He could still shoot geese well, but I am pretty sure he would kill one or two pheasants a year with us in his late 60s and it didn't phase him a bit. It was great having him along. The amount of cover that you can cover when you have a person drop you off and pick you up on the other side ... Great times.
My dad was a good shot until he hit 50.Then he went south.What I do, is I close my left eye.

My dad was a good shot until he hit 50.Then he went south.What I do, is I close my left eye.
Age has squat to do with it. I shot like crap in my 20's and 30's. Than I practiced more and got better, might not hold the scope as steady offhand as I used to, but can swing a shotgun. Yet still shoot hot and cold, but plan on getting better every year.

I would confidently bet a C spot you are simply lifting your head, almost certainly trying to see if you hit the bird. You probably don't even notice it.
I have never known a shotgunner who doesn't do this at one point or another during a season. Mine tend to be after a couple misses, and it seems it tends to happen later in the season (getting complacent/tired/lazy?).

If I miss an easy shot I know from experience to bury my cheek on the stock and begin the swing/shot sequence anew. Amazing how many times the bird I missed at 20-25 yards folds up with the second shot at 40-45...

Back