Sharing a few thoughts and an update

bknight

A few months ago I posted a thread titled "What to call it? Thinking out loud?" about being somewhat disheartened, and hesitant, about planning a pheasant trip out "west" due to bird numbers and gas prices etc. Well, I was given excellent advice by many on this forum and came away with a new perspective. I had decided to do it rgardless of a poor prognosis for bird numbers and gas prices and had planned to spend some of my children's inheritance and go to ND and work my way south hunting and sightseeing all the way down through SD, NE, and KS. I had some doctor visits scheduled right before I would be leaving, but I was getting my camper ready and my gear together to load up and my excitement was ramping up towards the trip. My dog would not let me out of her sight, and the wife was making plans and getting excited.

I have now become the "poster boy" for getting your colonoscopies done! I'm sitting here on Saturday morning typing a message to my friends here, and I consider all of you friends. I got off of the surgeon's table last Monday afternoon and spent until yesterday in the hospital with some very nice nurses and doctors at Gwinnett Medical Center. I am minus a portion of my colon and small intestine, but I am alive! I think I'm doing really well to feel as good as I do and I am thankful to be here, and that, while I still may have cancer, at least I now KNOW it, and can begin the fight. I have adenocarcinoma and since it had escaped into my lymph nodes it is considered stage two. I will have to have some chemo and then a lot of "searches" later to be sure it is gone.
I do covet your thoughts and prayers and I will appreciate having them, but I am writing this to remind you guys not to think it can't happen to you... It can. I had no symptoms at all, but thankfully I had a good, sensible doctor who made me understand I should not ignore my test. One never knows for sure what the outcome will be, but at least I have a good chance to get it cured. Turns out it wasn't in my best interest to go pheasant hunting (yet) this year, but maybe I will get more chances in the future. Here's wishing a good hunting season for my "friends" here, and a friendly reminder to get those routine health checkups done and lastly good health to you all! To those who had contacted me and offered to get together for a hunt...Thank you from the top and bottom of my heart, and maybe next year will be a better time. Bill

My thought for today is: "Somtimes there are blessings that do not look like blessings at first, and every day is a gift from God!"

Good luck bill. I am sorry to here about your misfortune. We never really know what is in store for us or why. Take care.

Damn.

But good.

But damn!

Allow me to amend your philosophy (to my opinion) a bit:

"Everday is a gift, if you make it so."

My very best wishes.

:)

Sending our thoughts and payers for a full recovery. Glad your Doc caught it when he did. I'm 48 and have had two butt scopes myself. The first time they cut away some pal-ups. The second time, nothing. Kick this thing so you can make that trip

Sorry to hear the news, but glad that it was caught before it had advanced a lot further. Good luck, and we will see you in the fields next year!!

Ive outlived my dad by 18 years.... I cherish every day I'm looking at the grass from this side..

3 colonoscopies so far, and another coming up next year.. All good, except for the one where my sister in law was the nurse..:D

Just back from my first 5 day state license.. Long story short, youre really not missing much this year..

BK

So sorry to hear about your cancer. I turn 50 next year and my plan is to celebrate every day! You never know when your God ordained days are up. Sometimes just thinking about the next trip keeps us going through life! No matter what make that trip happen. I just sold a puppy to an 81 year old man! This is his 5th last puppy. He has vertigo and struggles to walk straight, but he still gets out to hunt and shoot a few pheasants. Everyone else has to slow down a little for him, but I hope someone does that for me when I am 81. Best of luck to you and I am praying for you right now.

Back