Semi-Auto, O/U, Pump, or SxS?

Beretta SV 10 in 12 gauge and a Browning Maxxus in 12 the a sleeper in the auto world. I have a Browning Citori Upland Speacial 16 gauge grade Six in the mail I'm hoping to use when it's my time to be the pusher in the middle of the trees in SD this year. Wasn't looking for it but sometimes guns find you. Should be a good close range gun.

Beretta SV 10 in 12 gauge and a Browning Maxxus in 12 the a sleeper in the auto world. I have a Browning Citori Upland Speacial 16 gauge grade Six in the mail I'm hoping to use when it's my time to be the pusher in the middle of the trees in SD this year. Wasn't looking for it but sometimes guns find you. Should be a good close range gun.

Pat: You may need an assistant to carry shells and extra guns while in the trees. Load-up that Maxus and let er rip!

I always tease my buddies who drop the bird with their third shot out of the auto, "Why did you take the first two shots?" I am an exclusive O/U guy for pheasants now. I have a browning citori white lightning 16 I use for game farms and sometimes early season birds and a Beretta 686 O/U for wild birds and late season. I think it makes me a better shot when I have to pick those shots a little more than just throwing lead and hoping I get on the bird eventually. I have only seen one guy shoot three roosters standing in one spot as a large flush flew his way. His day was done in a matter of seconds! But let's be honest, I think I look cool with an O/U broke open over my shoulder! We're all just posers!!!

Monday thru Friday when I’m seriously workin’ it I’ll shoot my Fabarm L4s with IC. On Saturday and Sunday I’ll shoot my new 20ga Cynergy Field that my kids and grandkids just bought me. IC with 5s in the bottom and Skeet 2 with 4s in the top. I like to look my best on weekends with my OU so depending on the weather, I’ll either go with my orange Strormy Krommer, or my orange Fedora. During the week I go with baseball cap early, and warm fleece skull cap late.

Ruger Red Label 12 ga. I love the way it shoots and feels. Yes a third shot would be nice at times but I haven't found that many opportunities that needed a third shot. Most of the time it is a desperation heave anyway. If it is raining I will use an Remington 870. Unfortunately I don't like shooting it nearly as much. I like to shoot 5's and steel 4's. I have used 6's on early season birds but late season roosters you need some more knock down power.

I always carry a Mossberg 500 as a back up or incase it rains. I usually carry a S&W 1000 auto. But before I go back out west I want to get a Fausti 16ga ou. Switching from my side by side to my semi auto changed my life. It became my favorite shotgun fast.

I like a double-barrel gun because you can have different chokes and loads in each barrel. Also, doubles carry lighter because the break action is much shorter than other actions for a shorter overall length. Another thing is the safety advantage of a break action. You have a chat afield with another hunter - you break the gun. You get into a vehicle - you break the gun. There is never any doubt whether you are loaded. Another advantage is the mechanical simplicity of a break action.

As far as shot capacity, here's my weird view. If you want to be a good bird shot, hunt with a single shot gun. Your percentage will go way up. Of course, you won't get any doubles. The point is, the more shells you have in your gun, probably the more shots you'll take per bird bagged.

Between sxs and o/u, it's personal preference thing.

Last edited:
Each has a purpose for me!

SxS = quick upland shots
O/U = Sporting Clays in 12 ga for upland 28ga
Semi = waterfowl
Pump = when I was a kid 👀

I like my 1100, but I don't ever remember taking more than two shots at a time. The 1100 just seems to fit me.

I havnt hunted out west but for pheasants(and everything else) I started out with my Mossberg 835 12ga pump. It was my first pump and needed something that could do everything Id hunt. And it does.

This past spring I was able to pick up a Stevens 555 in 20 gauge for upland. Of course its no Citori or Ruger Red Label but I got it new for $500 and it is a light to carry, swings really nice and knocks em down. For a lower level O/U, I absolutely love it

What about single shots.....lol

Started with a BB gun, then HR Topper jr 20 ga, then 12ga wingmaster still one of my favorites. Shots thousands of rounds thru 1100 skeet, 3200 skeet and 870 trap when in college shooting for Purdue. In college bought a 20ga O/U which I used almost exclusively for a until this year when I picked up a 16ga LC Smith, 12ga BSS and 3200 Skeet. Have on two occasions tripled with my 870 on pheasants. Living in Michigan and primarily hunting grouse and woodcock you don't get more than 2 shoots, hell sometimes only one shot. So in woods exclusively either O/U or SXS. Out west I bring all and switch like others for excuses, when I miss a lot with one I switch. Can never have to many shotguns!

I’m testing that theory now about never having too many. O/U in 12 & 20, 2 SxS in 12ga, pumps, 1 in 20ga, 4 in 12 ga & one semi auto 12. Oh, and a single shot 20. Funny thing is, the O/U 12 gets picked most often, with one of the pumps along (usually a Wingmaster) as a backup. It’s hard to give them up once you get them.

Ah, my preferences are probably the result of a 1950's FIELD AND STREAM, laying on a linoleum-topped table in the neighborhood barber shop. They were filled with Old Mossback lunker bass stories, impossible hunts for moose in deep snow in Canada, and great hunts over hardly-mentioned dogs in the Dakotas. I wasn't 10 years old yet, but I inhaled those stories and drawings--all given to some artistic license--of the sharp-chinned hunter sighting down his sxs 12 bore at a magnificent pheasant (usually losing some feathers in his flight to escape.)

I WANTED desperately to be one of those men, as I sat, waiting for the clip and shaver haircut from Al, the barber, who'd never hunted in his life. Sometimes, we create definitions of a future from completely inaccurate research data gathered as a kid. No one in my family hunted, rarely fished, and vacations were spent at Northern Wisconsin resorts for a week of splashing in a cold lake, or later, swimming out to an oil barrel float raft from the mostly mud shores. I remember leeches--not as bait, but as things to be covered with salt to make them stop feeding on me. (Still creepy.)

But the imprint was there, although my first shotgun was (and still is) an 1933 manufactured 1897 Winchester pump, 30 inch, 12 gauge knuckle-buster at age 17. I wanted a double-barrelled gun, as the guy (all of a 20 year-old mentor) who first took me hunting was using his grandfather's field grade 20 L.C. Smith. It seemed weightless when compared to the long and barrel-heavy '97. He also was a regular shooter and so much more accurate than I that it was laughable. I equated his skill shooting with the equipment he used. I've since learned that's not how it works.

So, with that historical preamble, here's a shot of the three I had a year ago:

An AYA 20 gauge, 26 inch barrel, single trigger, vent rib, improved cylinder and modified gun. Model Matador II, the love of my life and the only shotgun mentioned in my will.

A Stevens 5100 12 gauge, mod and full barrelled, field grade gun, which is so much more than it was intended to be. Really a great tool for longer shots, and those hunts on which I will not be walking a lot (hey, I'm old!) Passing shots on waterfowl are a particular strength, as are wild bird far flushes. Really well-made.

An AYA 12 gauge, 28inch barrel, dual trigger gun made for Sears in 1970. It had the barrels honed out to improved cylinder and modified. (I sold it this year.) Nice gun, and responsible for one of the few doubles I have shot in recent years.

And, as the years pass and the hunt limit is 2 a day, with 6 in possession, I've leaned towards single shots. My currently inventory is 2 Montgomery Wards Hercules singles--a 12 and a 20, both full; a New England Firearms 20, modified; finally, a Winchester Model 370 which I had cut down to 26 inches and threaded for changeable chokes. They are lighter and a lucky double pheasant flush doesn't end the day's hunt.

Last edited:
Back