Semi-Auto, O/U, Pump, or SxS?

870-Lefty

Okay guys, what's your preference for hunting pheasants in the plains states, say S.D.,N.D., Kansas, and Nebraska? Semi-Auto, O/U, Pump, or SxS?

I like something that holds more that two shells. That being said it would be a pump or a semi for me. Every once in a while you get a opportunity at multiple birds. I only shoot doubles when I know what cover I am in and believe I have a good chance at finding both. If it's thick cover I stick to just the one. A bird in the hand and all that. Sometimes I have a need for that third shell. Usually as an F...U as he's flying away but sometimes as a follow up on another rooster as well. Best thing to do is use the one you're most comfortable with shooting.

I have used O/U's for years both in 20ga and 12ga. I am looking into a 20ga auto now for weight reduction and to help ease the kick.

I started in SD on a 2-3/4 only OU when I was younger. Made me pick my shots carefully, get solid on target and follow my birds to the ground. I got fast enough with reloading it that my 3 and 4 shots were not far behind the pumps as we would often get 5-10 bird flushes in spots. I would also get a lot of cleanup shots on birds that would flush during retrieves or come back from the dead and take off while the pumps and autos were emptied out.

It makes a great backup gun as it is super-reliable and no problem for left or right eye dominant hunters to borrow. As long as it has firing pins, you are good to go. Now I'm on an auto since I am often taking the first shots and need to hit a lot of birds for our party.

I've shot sxs, semi-auto, and o/u. All work great but I'm taking the 16 gauge Ithaca 37 pump this year. 5 shots, 6-1/2 pounds. It has a Polychoke so I can adjust to what the birds are doing.

Clearly an issue of personal preference, but fun to discuss nonetheless. I started with an A5 Light*er* 20. That was my first "grown up" gun. Hunted with it for probably 20 years. By the time I retired it, I rarely put more than 3 shells in it. #4 and #5 were almost always wasted, so why bother? The only times it would be really handy you couldn't use it--doves and waterfowl.

I replaced it with a 12 sxs. Once in a while I wish I had the 3rd shell, but only when there's a late flushing bird after I miss the early flusher(s) twice. I don't go for doubles often--it's just too hard to find them if I loose the mark.

O/U regardless of state; with the exception of my Sweet 16 that I bust out at least one day a year.

Over the years I have used a number of guns to hunt long tails. Started 34 years ago with my Red Rider BB gun. Then, when I passed my Hunters Safety and my father felt I could handle the responsibility, I graduated to a Winchester model 42 pump. I transitioned to a Franchi auto loader. Then it was a Remington 870 Wingmaster pump.(which is still my go to gun for a back up). In my 20's and 30's, I carried a Ruger Red Label, Beretta 390, 391 and Benelli Motefeltro Super 90 autoloaders. Now that I'm in my 40's, I switch it up a bit. I tend lean on my Beretta A400 Extreme or Browning 1974 model Superposed. I have acquired a Winchester model 24 SidebySide, and a Winchester Super X1 autoloader recently. I plan on on using both for this years Kansas pheasant opener.

Okay guys, what's your preference for hunting pheasants in the plains states, say S.D.,N.D., Kansas, and Nebraska? Semi-Auto, O/U, Pump, or SxS?

This of course is mostly personal preference and which ever you choose based on your personal preferences will be the correct one. That being said I prefer a semi-auto for Pheasants. It's what I'm used to thru decades of hunting them. I like having the extra round or more depending on your state's regulations vs a break open guns. Nothing wrong with the break open guns either, heck I shoot one for Sporting Clays exclusively.

Even though I shoot pumps and autos the best, I like all the guns & there’s room for all in pheasant hunting.

I've shot them all and they all work very well. Like others have said it's really a matter of personal preference. But my go to gun for the last several years is my 1960 Sweet Sixteen with 26" vent rib barrel choked IC.

View attachment 7457

I have mostly used semi-autos. I have tried pumps and over/unders, but my best sucess has always been semi- autos. this year I am bring my Remington 1100 16 gauge and a Beretta 20 gauge. I have a benelli super sport 12 gauge for the winter hunts. I am lucky to have the choices of mine every year. I love trying different guns, so who knows what I may try in the future?

I have mostly used semi-autos. I have tried pumps and over/unders, but my best sucess has always been semi- autos. this year I am bring my Remington 1100 16 gauge and a Beretta 20 gauge. I have a benelli super sport 12 gauge for the winter hunts. I am lucky to have the choices of mine every year. I love trying different guns, so who knows what I may try in the future?

I have a Legacy Sport that I really like in the 12. But really like my O/U in the 28. Can't hit shit with it with the 20 gauge barrels on it!lol

Back