seeing any birds?

blackcloud27

been seeing a few broods of partridge lately. have seen very few pheasant. turkey broods look good. mosquito hatch was extra large and hungry

Had a young bird flush right across the road on way to visit my spots. Grandparents report seeing plenty.....which is encouraging as their vision has really slipped.

The IA DNR has started their fall route surveys. My cousin reported seeing 10 phez on his route compared to 1 last year. Two broods with a total of 5 young ones, 2&3. Better than last year but a long, long way to go.

Can someone post a picture of what a pheasant looks like?

They look something like this as I remember.

Dec09_69.jpg

Dec09_77.jpg

Jan08057.jpg

DodgeCity_004.jpg

It sure would be nice if Iowa had more CRP that was supported with efforts from the state to seriously increase our Bird population. Slow but sure.

As soon as Ethanol plants go out of business CRP will make a slow comeback.

WOW had to check the calender today Aug 18 th.? saw a brood of 7 baby turkeys today crossing the road. i stopped and got a very good look at them. they were less than a week old. still fluffy and just starting to get feathers. drive a mile farther along lake shore and saw a brood of baby mallards less than a week old also.

I'm definitely expecting some late hatching on the pheasants all over the midwest. Not the best of nesting conditions earlier this spring.

we have baby turkeys all over the farm. seeing some last year release quail and several pheasants that may make it to this seasons opener:thumbsup:
dude stopped by last week and said he has quail this year on his land about a mile or two from me and swears they came from my releases over the last several years. ;):rolleyes:

We are turkey poor as well. I have seen lots of mixed groups together of at least 3 different ages. 10-20 at a time. Never seen that before. From where I am just north of Kansas City, Mo. all the way to the Iowa Line, north, and over into the Seneca, Ks. area.

Back