sd pheasant count is out...and up a bit!

benelli-banger

SD GFP Website has the brood count survey...looking pretty darned good...up from 2009. Both surveyed areas that cover my areas are up on average about 5% from 2009, and that was a very, very good year!!!!!!!

BB! Good to hear from you and you beat me to this!

PIERRE, S.D. â?? This autumn, hunters in South Dakota will enjoy pheasant numbers that continue to be some of the best in the stateâ??s history. The 2010 brood survey count shows a small increase from the 2009 survey.

The Game, Fish and Parks Department completed its annual pheasant brood survey in mid-August, and tallied a statewide pheasants-per-mile count that is up about 3 percent from last year.

â??We had a very good year in 2009, and this peek as we go into fall tells us that hunters can look forward to some great opportunities in the coming pheasant season,â?� said Game Fish and Parks Secretary Jeff Vonk.

The official pheasant population estimate is based on data reported by hunters during the pheasant season, and does not come until after the season is over.

In 2009, South Dakotaâ??s official pheasant population estimate was 8.4 million, and hunters averaged 9.9 roosters each for a total season harvest of more than 1.6 million.

Every year from late July through mid-August, GFP personnel survey 110 established routes scattered across the state to estimate pheasant production and calculate a pheasants-per-mile index. The survey is not a population estimate, but rather compares the number of pheasants seen on the routes and establishes trend information.

â??Weâ??ve had a roller coaster ride of weather conditions over the past year,â?� Vonk said. â??Pheasant numbers will be down in a few areas, but they held strong in many other areas because of excellent reproduction in parts of the state where we have good habitat conditions.â?�

Survey routes are grouped into 13 areas, based on a local city, and the index value of each local city area is then compared to index values of the previous year and the 10-year average.

The 2010 statewide pheasants-per-mile average is 6.45, compared to the 2009 average of 6.26 and the 10-year average of 5.71.

â??Our goal has been to increase quality hunting areas that are open to the public. South Dakota has worked intensely with private landowners and other conservation partners to promote habitat programs,â?� Vonk said. â??Statewide Conservation Reserve Program acres have slipped to slightly more than one million acres, but there is encouraging news. Landowner interest in the program remains high and additional acres will likely be enrolled through the recent general CRP signup.â?�

South Dakotaâ??s regular pheasant season opens on Saturday, Oct. 16 and runs through Jan. 2.

For more information on the pheasant season, including the 2010 Pheasant Brood Survey Report with complete route comparisons for the different local areas, visit the GFP website.

http://gfp.sd.gov/hunting/small-game/pheasant-outlook.aspx

Ye of so little faith -see Mr. UGuide was right after all -now who's gonna pay up and get me the bag of dog biscuits???????????

Before you get excited everyone these numbers are bad news for 1/2 the state. Once again it is the northern part of the state which is carrying the count. Brookings, Watertown, Chamberlain, Winner, Yankton, and Sioux Falls areas are all down. Huron and Mitchell are all but a wash. This survey is hardly anything to be excited about. It appears that this last winter and heavy rain falls had a impact on numbers. :( Don't buy into the SDGFP spin on these numbers until you follow the link and look at bird numbers in the area you will be hunting.

They are showing the Aberdeen area as having an increase over 2009. I really find that hard to believe. Don't get me wrong, I think we will still have decent numbers. But after the 2nd bad winter in a row and an extremely wet spring it seems unlikely the count could be up. But if it is, that's great.

I was out in the country early this morning and did see some young birds along the road. I ran my dogs in a GPA and while we found a fair number of birds it wasn't like it normally is. One thing that is encouraging is that the low areas that were wet last fall, this spring and most of the summer are drying up. Hopefully we won't have a wet fall like last year.

PHP:
They are showing the Aberdeen area as having an increase over 2009. I really find that hard to believe.

Keep in mind that the actual report calls the increase in the Aberdeen area "not statistically significant." In fact no area showed a statistically significant increase in numbers.

PHP:

Keep in mind that the actual report calls the increase in the Aberdeen area "not statistically significant." In fact no area showed a statistically significant increase in numbers.

I understand that, but I truly expected to hear that there was a decrease in numbers in this area. So even if we maintained last years numbers I think that is a real positive considering the past 2 winters and the wet spring.

Before you get excited everyone these numbers are bad news for 1/2 the state. Once again it is the northern part of the state which is carrying the count. Brookings, Watertown, Chamberlain, Winner, Yankton, and Sioux Falls areas are all down. Huron and Mitchell are all but a wash. This survey is hardly anything to be excited about. It appears that this last winter and heavy rain falls had a impact on numbers. :( Don't buy into the SDGFP spin on these numbers until you follow the link and look at bird numbers in the area you will be hunting.

I am very, very excited about my areas being "a wash", as 2009 was an absolutely fantastic year...the late harvest made it different, but we never were lacking for our birds...late season was simply phenomenal. My farmer buddies who I correspond with frequently have commented on the good bird #'s this summer....I have to believe that the heavy rains in June did push back haying by several weeks, which spared lots of birds (I know this got delayed for a fact in my areas). I was hoping--praying, even--that we didn't see a 20 or 30% drop from 2009, which could have happened easily between the hard winter and the near record rains that some areas had in June. I don't know about anyone else, but I have been walking my labs each day for about 90 minutes each morning, and we are having a ball...substitute that experience for one that includes a gun, beautiful SD prairies and crop fields, frosty mornings and frosty mugs in the evenings, and I will be a very happy man, regardless of the bird #'s!!!!!! But, I know the birds will be there in very decent #'s, maybe even excellent #'s, so all will be right in my world!!! 14 DAYS UNTIL I LEAVE FOR ND TO HUNT SHARPS AND HUNS....THEN JUST 4 DAYS AFTER THAT MN GROUSE...THEN JUST A FEW WEEKS FOR SD YOUTH OPENER, THEN JUST 14 DAY FOR REGULAR OPENER!

Well the numbers I noticed at a brief glance was the Pierre and Mobridge counts. They really carried the day.

You can't count out the currently crop anomally as a factor in these counts. The crop maturity is currently 5-10 days ahead of THE 5-YEAR AVERAGE. ....And gaining with the warm windy weather blowing across the state. Growing or heating degree days are up this year and that is same factor little birds need to grow...HEAT. Yes it has been wet early but chicks are still hatching as we speak. Latter Jun-July and August carried the day. The counts suggest where the weather has had the greatest impact and made for difficult recovery like the James river Valley and east. Winner probably saw some hail impacts on that route.

Once again there report indicates that a loss of CRP in several areas of the state is effecting pheasant numbers. Hopefully some of that will be gained back with the current general sign-up.

From the sounds of the report all the crop left in the field from 2009 was the real saving factor in the numbers this year.

I am very, very excited about my areas being "a wash", as 2009 was an absolutely fantastic year...the late harvest made it different, but we never were lacking for our birds...late season was simply phenomenal. My farmer buddies who I correspond with frequently have commented on the good bird #'s this summer....I have to believe that the heavy rains in June did push back haying by several weeks, which spared lots of birds (I know this got delayed for a fact in my areas). I was hoping--praying, even--that we didn't see a 20 or 30% drop from 2009, which could have happened easily between the hard winter and the near record rains that some areas had in June. I don't know about anyone else, but I have been walking my labs each day for about 90 minutes each morning, and we are having a ball...substitute that experience for one that includes a gun, beautiful SD prairies and crop fields, frosty mornings and frosty mugs in the evenings, and I will be a very happy man, regardless of the bird #'s!!!!!! But, I know the birds will be there in very decent #'s, maybe even excellent #'s, so all will be right in my world!!! 14 DAYS UNTIL I LEAVE FOR ND TO HUNT SHARPS AND HUNS....THEN JUST 4 DAYS AFTER THAT MN GROUSE...THEN JUST A FEW WEEKS FOR SD YOUTH OPENER, THEN JUST 14 DAY FOR REGULAR OPENER!

I agree, the survey is positive news and we can look forward to another banner year. If the corn gets harvested on time, and it looks like it will, it will even be better than last year.

BB, LM and DZ I am sure you guys are happy because your area did not see a 25% decrease in bird numbers.

Talk about a trip thru the heartland. Yesterday I went from Sioux Falls to Platte and then down 281, 34 east and home. Did not see any great number of birds, but was hardly out there in prime time. Did see a brood of 9 young birds and hen just west of Madison and a good number Platte and Kimball areas.
Ton of extra cover out there and it is drying up. I don't care if its wet as I'll wade right in there with 'em. The corn is firing in some areas already as they planted in April so unless it gets like last year there will be an early harvest. Prices are pretty good so they will want to get it out. Some still cutting hay tho there is so much it's not much of a cash crop at $20 a ton. It will be thick out there. The cattails are 8'tall.
I'm not drinking all the koolaid but I do not htink there is anything dire enough to keep me out of he field and I know some spots where I have been seeing a lot of birds.

Back