sd grouse hunt

jfreeman

Just got back from sd grouse hunting. The no's were down but shot a few and had some great dog work. Scenting conditions were as good as I have had, all but 2 days that got a little hot. As far as the Pheasant no's. they seemed to be way down but when I hunted down out of the prairies in the pheasant areas I did get about 7 or 8 hens and 3 or 4 roosters pointed so there is still a few left. Where I traveled gravel roads going to the prairie last year hunting I would see bunches of 10-25 pheasants on the road, this year I was lucky to see 2 or 3 birds. There is tons more cover this year but still should have seen more pheasants on the roads picking up gravel. I did see several broods that are way to young to have been counted before august 15 the cut off for thier counts. I only saw one fully colored rooster so most were young birds. here is a pic of 2 sharpies and 2 pcs.

Last edited:
Yeah good looking pooch.

Sounds like a fun trip, good dog work, few birds in the bag. :thumbsup:

Ahhh, someone went bird hunting and we have something of real value to discuss/comment on:D

Nice pics, great story, and an even better looking dog!

Thanks for sharing:thumbsup:

I been debating on going this week, and now you post this great pic and might push me into it. Thanks (and great looking dog)

Looks like the dog did a great job for you.
Thats a great picture with both Prairie Chicken and Sharptail side by side.

There really is, nothing like going to the native grasslands for some native birds.

sd grouse

dakota I was hunting the lower brule tribal land. nearly every bird we saw was in what I call the high prairies very few down low in the pheasant type country and some of the birds had wheat seed in them. the few birds we saw down low were next to cut wheat.

Last edited:
Back