RIP Tucker

CowboyBirdDogs

It's been a very tough week. Monday evening my dogs got out of our fence and my 3yr old male shorthair, Tucker, got hit by a car and was killed. He passed away way too young. He was always full of energy and putting a smile on everybody's face, so much personality. I've learned a lot through this process. Losing a pet doesn't compare, at least for me, to losing a bird dog you've had your whole life and trained. He wasn't perfect, no dog is, but he was coming along nicely and was only getting better. He always had a huge will to please. One thing I've definitely learned is to make that extra time for your dogs even when you're busy with every day stuff. Every day when I let him out he'd run around the yard until he found a toy or ball or anything I could throw and he'd bring it to me, most days I'd throw it around for him but some I'd be busy with other things and not have the time for it. I'd give anything to throw that ball or bumper for him one last time. I never once saw him get tired. It was a freak accident and nobody's fault, just something that happened and unfortunately it cost me one of my best friends and hunting partners. I've still got Abby and it has definitely affected her. She hasn't really acted the same since. They both got out and they always stuck together I'm pretty sure she probably saw the whole thing. She's lost a friend just like I have, she doesn't leave my side as soon as I get home. If you've never lost a hunting companion, brace yourself, it's tougher than I ever could've imagined. I know he's in a better place with more birds than he knows what to do with and he'll be waiting for me when I get there.

RIP Tuck. You're missed more than you'll ever know.

Sorry...

My heartfelt condolences. :( I just went through this 2 months ago and my heart still hurts.

Good words that I'll keep in mind when I get home from a long day at work and don't feel like I have the energy to spend time with my dogs.

Hobie

Please accept my sincere condolences. My first Setter, Sally was hit by a car and killed. Because of that I am extremely cautious when my dogs are near a road or street. Make fun of me as paranoid and over protective if you will but I never want to go through that again. I don't miss her because of how good a bird dog she was, I miss her because of the memories we made together.

For instance, my Dad and I were dove hunting and I was on fire, could not miss, 9 birds with 10 shells. Shot the tenth bird saw it go down in the plum thickets along a fence row but searched and searched, no bird. Jumped in the truck drove home got Sally and went back. She made one pass down the fence row and pointed. I waited for her to pick up the bird but her head just got higher and higher the longer we waited. Finally my Dad looked up there was a pair of little pink feet sticking out of fork in one of the plum trees. It's those kind of experiences with a pretty good quail dog that I miss.

accident

it's a tough deal, so far i have avoided it, lotta luck involved. one thing to keep in mind and one that has always scared me is most bird dogs see the truck or vehicle as fun, something to jump up on, go for a ride in or better yet, a means to go hunting, danger, they don't see, a vehicle is their friend so to speak and true, like your kids, ya can't watch them all the time by you can try and be mindful. no cheers

sorry

You are going through some hard times !!! Losing dogs anytime is HARD, but losing them at a young age is even tougher !!I have lost "old" dogs and one at 2 years old to cancer-- SO HARD . I cannot even think how painful it would be to lose a child !! Our dogs will be waiting for us when we too cross that-- Rainbow Bridge

My heart felt condolences. I also have a near 3yr old Britt called Tucker that i have no doubt wouldn't last 10 minutes if he escaped into traffic. Very sad.

Sincere condolences your way . . . losing a dog is never easy. Keep the memories alive.

Thank you all for the kind words. It's hard. This first season without him is going to be weird. He's in a better place. I'll hunt over his point again one day. If he could've got on the Internet he would've lived on this site. That dog lived for pheasant. He handled them better than bobwhite. With time he would've done great on all kinds of upland birds but man did he love him some running pheasants. He could pin them down more times than not and if I missed the shot he didn't really hold it against me. It was just, "oh well let's go find some more!" Never seen a dog like pheasants more than quail or pc's but he did. He was only getting better on them and he was so well built he could bust through that CRP and those corn stalks like they were nothing. He had been to Kansas several times and hunted Texas for bobs a few times. This year was going to be our first trip to SoDak together....

Your picture of Tucker tells me that you described Tucker precisely! My dog Sadie, has that same look and now, not always, has that desire to play fetch. I am so sorry for your loss. Our dogs are the only family we get to choose, and all birddogs that we share hunts with are just plain special. I think most of us hunt just so we can have a birddog! I know I do! will say aprayer for you and the family. Even though I was a practicing Vet. for over forty years, I always felt like if you were out of a birddog...you were out of a dog. Again my sincere condolences. It is nice to have a group like this who understands our love for our partners and our sadness when we lose them. God bless!

I too, express sincere condolences on the loss of your field companion. Having lost two gsp's that way in '05, I feel your pain. His best place was with you where ever you were, every moment, as few as they may have seemed. Makes you hold on and love the one you have even more. Be at peace knowing the time he had here, you were the best thing that happened to him!

You have my deepest sympathy and having dealt with this way to many times in my life will tell you time has a way of making the worst hurt go away but knowing this you will always remember the good times and all the times you did spend with them.

So sad to hear. When we buy shorthairs, we know we only have 10-12 years with them. I had to put one down due to cancer, he was 8-9. Toughest thing I have ever done. Literally tearing up in the vets office, as are both the girls doing it. He was a very friendly dog, but he did give a low muffled growl to the girls. He somehow knew his time was up. We were out hunting Pheasants opening day in the Yolo Causeway area and I had just knocked down a bird. Birds a runner and Sammy gives chase, makes a quick cut, and his hind leg gives out. Took him to the vet, Cancer. Looking back I could see signs. He didn't like to be up on his hind legs, but I had no idea. My current 3 yr old was hit by a car, he survived, only about $600.00 vet bill. I put about $1200.00 limit on it, that would have been tough. Nice thing is, you can always get another, more good times ahead. A very important command for all K9's Don't go in the street. Easy to teach. I'm starting on my newest tomorrow.

So sorry to hear about Tucker! I had the same thing happen years ago and witnessed the whole thing. Not a way you ever want to lose a dog. The replay in my mind is still there!! Good memories will live forever !!!! Hang in there!!

Thank you all for the kind words. Hold your dogs a little tighter, play with them a little longer, and plan more hunting trips to build memories.

Back