:( Rest in peace AFC River dog.

Sorry to hear Ken, River was beautiful and talented dog.

Sorry for your loss Ken, It's never easy especially when you fight as hard as you did for River.

I do have a question about Titers. This is a blood test to check and make sure the dog immunization system meets the requirement the dog needs against a disease correct? The reason to do this is because if they still have the anti bodies to fight off the disease then it might be harmful to the dog to give it another booster shot? I have heard that doing a Titers test is much more expensive than a actual booster shot, any truth to that? Thanks

So sorry too Ken. Always enjoy your photos of your wonderful dogs. I know your sorrow, having put down 3 dogs in past 3 years. God bless.

Losing a field companion and your best friend is a major pluck on your heart strings. I am sorry my friend for your loss. I had to glance around to see my "girl" laying on the bed and reassure myself that she was indeed still here. Man I don't even like thinking about "That day"! God bless you in your sorrow.
Bill

Sorry for your loss Ken, It's never easy especially when you fight as hard as you did for River.

I do have a question about Titers. This is a blood test to check and make sure the dog immunization system meets the requirement the dog needs against a disease correct? The reason to do this is because if they still have the anti bodies to fight off the disease then it might be harmful to the dog to give it another booster shot? I have heard that doing a Titers test is much more expensive than a actual booster shot, any truth to that? Thanks

Yes that's the jest of it. I am just doing my shots every 3-4 years from here on out and that's that. And never the whole boat, 1 this year one next or 2 years later. I am not giving bordetella, never really have except to board a dog. They can get kennel cough anyway so that's a hoax too. The only time my dogs had kennel cough was when they stayed at a kennel and both riv and odie were vaccinated LOL. All my dogs got it, and it was easy to treat any way. First and only time in my entire life. Never a shot since, and never another kennel cough episode.

It may vary according to the lab your vet uses, I'll have to check but if my memory serves me, it was not over $100. Good thing is you don't need to do titers ever year, more like every other at the most. Still it's better than pumping them full of vaccine that they may not need.

I mostly skip over these type postings because they make me think about the inevitable. I have three hunting buddy's that I've traveled the western U.S. with. My first and oldest is Melba. She is a GWP and has put up with me for 10 years. To say I love that dog is understatement. When she was a pup I started a journal. When I now read those story's I wrote when she was a pup I get a big smile out of them. When she is gone I will still have my memory's and my journal of her xploits as the worlds greatest bird dog. So sorry for your loss.

She is the first dog I posted about taking a dirt nap. I just wanted people to be aware of her story, in hopes that someone else can avoid it. It is happening way way too much I found out. Just the other day the same with a clients dog who was just in for shots. about a year old, and got the auto immune bull crap story. A little schitzu. It is not breed specific. It is greed in my humble opinion.

Back