Reports from opening day in SD?

We hunted in Central SD. Was worried about the reports of low numbers but still had very good trip. I think we saw as many or more then we have in past years. Just two of us hunting but we each brought back 10 birds (total 20) over 4.5 days of hunting. Hunted all public areas. Had plenty of opportunities to limit each day...just poor shooting (need to get to the trap range more). It was very windy 2-3 of the days...focused on heavy cover areas. Lots of crop harvested...which helpded. Just got home...springers are parked on the couch but ready for the next trip in a few weeks.

interesting hearing the various reports. I have come to the conclusion that the number of birds really varies...even within small geographic area. Am still looking to get out on Nov 2nd...even seeing a fraction of the birds in comparison to prior years will be welcome. Certainly more birds than we have in Wisconsin.

Posting a western SD mixed-bag photo of sharptail grouse, Hungarian partridge, pheasant, and coyotes as described earlier. Oh, the Huns are not in these photos. The hunting was pretty good, largely because the land was private and lightly hunted. Will be back to eastern SD in late Nov. or December for an annual public land pheasant hunt, always tougher but enjoyed just the same. Meanwhile it's time to have a go at MN ruffed grouse.

Oct2011SDmosaic.jpg

Last edited:
kevinj i will be picking up my son around 12:00 pm on the 31. we hunt in hand and faulk countys. what part of sd do you hunt ?

Platte report

Just got home from the Platte area--the bird #'s are spotty but had a grand time. As I reported had 34 birds for 12 people on our 1st day (sunday) and got 7 birds on monday with 4 hunters/4 dogs and some really poor shooting by yours truely, 6 birds tuesday with 4 hunters and again with poor shooting, on Wed with 2 hunters and no dog (it came up lame) we put up 62 birds walking my CRP and got 4 and could not find 2 others, Thur we got 2 birds and cleanly missed 4 other EASY shots--gonna go back to the trap range.

The best part was I met a new friend and UPH member(Tom) and had just a wounderful time--loved his quotes " they get up further away and fly so fast I keep shooting behind them" I replied " welcome to South Dakota wild bird hunting" and upon a multi bird flush of about 15 birds " HOLY SHIT" ---no reply needed.
I think he though the 1600 mile drive here was worth it.

Gotta rest up as its back to Platte on Thursday for 4 more days of hunting:cheers::thumbsup::cheers:
SDJIM with Tom's dog Jewel
SDJIMandJewel.jpg

I'll bet Tom thinks the 1600 mile trip was worth it
Tom2.jpg

Sunday opening weekend South Central SD
1stSunday2011.jpg

Last edited:
I hunted private land between Groton and Webster in NE South Dakota. Not prime pheasant country. There were 10 hunters and 5 dogs, although 3 of the dogs (2 Labs and a GSP) were quite worthless so my 2 Brittanys had to shoulder the bulk of the work. We hunted for about 4 hours, walking corn strips and weedy bottoms. We ended up with 12 birds. Without my shooting and my dogs it would have been a lot less. Suffice to say, I got my limit. That little Sweet Sixteen I bought a few months ago is turning out to be one fine "shootin' iron". I even dropped one rooster that had to be 50-60 yds. and that's with #6 shot through an IC choke. Granted I only winged it and my dogs had to run it down, but he ended up in the bag!
its great you got some birds and you have a great dog and are a good shot.
However. it is unsportsmanlike to cut down other hunters dogs and shooting and sing your own praises so much. Did you ever think they may be less experienced? Or dogs that havent been trained as well? Many hunters go for the experience and for a good time....not to judge others in a public forum.

its great you got some birds and you have a great dog and are a good shot.
However. it is unsportsmanlike to cut down other hunters dogs and shooting and sing your own praises so much. Did you ever think they may be less experienced? Or dogs that havent been trained as well? Many hunters go for the experience and for a good time....not to judge others in a public forum.

guyndog, you obviously do not know me and have not read any of my other posts on this site. I am not one to "sing my own praises" nor am I one to put down other hunters dogs. You have totally mis-interpreted what I said. What I stated were the facts. And the guys and the dogs I was hunting with were people and dogs I know and have know for years. If somehow what I said was taken as disrespectful of others I apologize, but it certainly was not my intent. Perhaps you should learn all the facts prior to jumping on someone!

SDJIM,

The pics are great. You sure know how to push the "Envy" button.

We're heading to the Aberdeen area on November 4th. I can't wait. Hopefully the birds won't be as bad as some have said. I want my 12 and 15 year old boys to have lots to remember. They've been packed for a week now, and repacked a few more times. It's funny.

Thanks again for the Pics. They're worth much more than a thousand words.

Ric

Posting from the field now. Elk hunting. Got back from Pierre on Thursday and the hunting was fun. Seen birds on all days limited 3 of 5 days. Partner never limited but had the 2 bird everyday streak and if he practiced a little more could have shot more birds. Seen amazing amounts of Sharptails and Prarie chickens and got a few of each also, never limiting just getting in an extra here and there. corn and sunflower coming down everywhere we went, we drove east around 60 miles and north about the same. seen birds all over the areas we drove. Dogs where burned up on Wed so we fished for most of it and got into some 'eyes biggest was 22", still hunted the last 2 hrs and got a couple birds. The dog was finally happy and the jones is over. Thank you SD!! Also I seen more Wisconsin and Minn plates than CO, so I am not what ads where in Co, and all the locals where out and the ones I talked to where happy except one farmer who said he had to chase off 2 sets of his own local guys on his property, said he hever has a problem with the NR's.

:10sign:

Excellent, nice pic. Thanks for the report.

It appears that the central part of the state is producing the best. As you guys know I moved from Aberdeen to Watertown last month. I've been out 3 times in the Watertown area and have yet to see a pheasant. Today I was about 20 miles west of Watertown on both public and private land never produced a bird. I talked to two local farmers and they say the birds are way down and are seeing very few. They had a hail storm last year that killed quite a few and then the winter took out a lot. Anyone else been in the Watertown area?

Thanks for all the reports and the great pics everyone!
Headed to SD on November 6th. Hoping to shoot a rooster or two.
Be safe and great hunting to all!

Back