Report The good, The Bad and The Ugly for this weekend

Campbell76

Just thought I start this post for the weekend bird report from everyone. I'm heading out in the morning. Going toward Seneca,Ks. I probably won't see anything but I'm really just going to run the dog and take my 7yr old daughter out so she can experience walking and hunting. So give a report bird numbers. How many you had in your group. How many did you or group end up with.

Hunted 640 acres of prime habitat in Smith County this morning with 2 good dogs, had 3 roosters flush wild, that was it! Hope it gets better.

Rut

I think next weekend (when we will be out) looks better because the Polar Vortex is coming :eek::eek::eek:

Highs in the mid 30s, snow showers, lows in the teens.....love it, love it, love it.......just have to keep the doggies water from freezing......

Our group of five saw 22 roosters, 15 hens and shot seven calling it a day at 12:30 here in South Central Kansas. More birds in the cut milo than I expected in the late morning.

Didn't see a single quail.

If I can figure out how to post a pic from my phone I will.

Our group of five saw 22 roosters, 15 hens and shot seven calling it a day at 12:30 here in South Central Kansas. More birds in the cut milo than I expected in the late morning.

Didn't see a single quail.

If I can figure out how to post a pic from my phone I will.
Central Nebraska we saw one hen all day. Might be pulling the waders and decoys back out.

Not a thing in sight

I didn't see a feather. No pheasants or quail in any of the walk ins. Seen a few hunters in some of the same walk ins I was at and wanted to go. Warm and windy isn't hunting weather but that's why it's hunting not shooting. Any keep the reports coming and thanks to the people that have already posted. I see some had some success some didn't.

Got out for 1 hour just outside of town. The boys and I got 15-20 shots off, but only had 2 quail to show for it:D The dogs were on fire and the boys were loving it. The last single we found near the truck flushed in front of the 12yo. When asked why he didn't shoot he responded, "No sense wasting ammo." He later told me he'd rather shoot pheasants b/c quail are "just too fast and they never fly where you think they will."

The baby girl was watching her brothers and her dogs. At 3yo she knows how the boys "choot'a buwds". Grandpa and mom were both in attendance as well...a very different opener experience than usual, but still a quality experience!

Headed W tomorrow morning! Somebody tell me where the birds are quick and please, secure some permission(s) for me before I get there:D

Last edited:
We hunted public land from daylight until about 11am. Saw 6 hens and 3 roosters. One rooster flushed wild at 100 plus yards, but the other two flushed together from the same spot. Shot the second one and watched the first fly off and land. I know that I had not hit the bird really hard, and thought we had a runner. The dog worked the area and dove into a brush pile. The bird took off running and the chase was on. Molly caught it and brought it back. We worked the area where the other bird landed pretty well, but never saw him again.
We hunted some WIHA on the way home and had another rooster flush wild. Lots of hunters in the area, but not much shooting. We were checked by the Warden and he told us that very few birds were being taken. He was a very friendly guy, who, after refusing a sandwich, wished us luck and continued on his way.
2014opener_zps3a6671f5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Got out for 1 hour just outside of town. The boys and I got 15-20 shots off, but only had 2 quail to show for it:D The dogs were on fire and the boys were loving it. The last single we found near the truck flushed in front of the 12yo. When asked why he didn't shoot he responded, "No sense wasting ammo." He later told me he'd rather shoot pheasants b/c quail are "just too fast and they never fly where you think they will."

The baby girl was watching her brothers and her dogs. At 3yo she knows how the boys "choot'a buwds". Grandpa and mom were both in attendance as well...a very different opener experience than usual, but still a quality experience!

Headed W tomorrow morning! Somebody tell me where the birds are quick and please, secure some permission(s) for me before I get there:D

Pm me kb..i may have some ideas

Shot them up pretty good today. Limit of quail and roosters. Perfect dog work and didnn't have to walk to far. All on public hunting ground.

How I wish I could be telling the truth. Two EP's on the ground at all times hunting hard in one of my sweet spots, or I guess I should say former sweet spot. Not a quail pointed or flushed. It was dry and wind with PLENTY of grasshoppers around. I imagine the birds could have been anywhere. Scenting conditions not very condusive. Had a nice point on a deer though. Lots of meadowlarks being pointed as well.

Still fun and worthwhile to get out. Dogs are worn out and so am I. Now I'm off to Lawrence for a birthday party.........

4 shooters. All public ground. 14 pheasants and 4 quail. Should have limited a couple hours ago but need to improve some shooting. I was thinking a bird a piece would be exceptional on the way out here.

Any pics, sounds like a great day.

Working on the pics..gotta figure out how to post them on here lol...it has felt like years of past with the numbers he have seem today..will be posting pics tomorrow if i can figure it out..sitting around with the family around the fire talking about the day's hunt with some liquid refresshments..it has been a day of memories..

Working on the pics..gotta figure out how to post them on here lol...it has felt like years of past with the numbers he have seem today..will be posting pics tomorrow if i can figure it out..sitting around with the family around the fire talking about the day's hunt with some liquid refresshments..it has been a day of memories..
Great times for sure. Congrats!

We ended up with 1 rooster, 1 miss and 1 first time hunter who flushed a rooster over point and didn't fire a shot, he said "it happened a lot faster than I thought it would".
We saw 2 coveys of quail and only saw 2 hens. More hunters in the area than in years past, but only heard a handful of shots.

Rut

Back