Remington Model 31 Pump Shotgun

Dakotazeb

Anyone have any experience with this model Remington? I ran across one in 16 ga.. It's not that I need it but thought it might be an interesting addition to my 16 ga. stable. I've done a little research on this model and found that it was considered one of the best made and smoothest functioning pumps ever. It came out after the model 17 and was Remington's first side ejecting pump. They were manufactured from 1931 to 1949. They were expensive to make because much of the gun was hand machined. That's why Remington discontinued them and came out with the 870, as the 870 was cheaper to make. I've always thought the 870's were kind of bullet proof but now I find that they actually had a better gun in the model 31.

Model 31

The Rem 31 competed with the Win model 12. Both were well made guns but expensive to manufacture and eventually replaced by guns that were not as expensive to manufacture. The 870 demonstrated that it was a capable and popular replacement.
In the late 1940's through the 1960 years the model 31 and model 12 could be found on the trap range and each had it's followers. I believe the model 12 was used by more individuals.
I used the model 12 and 870 for trap and did not have issues with either.

I inherited my Dad's 16 gauge model 31 fixed full choke when he died 3 years ago. My Mom bought it new for his BD in 1949. It has a great feel and the pump action is as smooth as silk. A great pheasant gun-and it's light too. There is a 16 gauge forum on the Web you can log on to and get and ask other owners questions and opinions of this gun. It has and still has an outstanding reputation, some consider it the best made pump of all time. If you have a chance to buy one, go for it. I shot it for the 1st time in a registered sporting clays 12 gauge pump event in the 2011 NC regional shoot, and guess what-HOA.

Yes sir, suppose to be the smoothest and slickest pump ever made. They say you can stand them in the corner and push the forend lease and the action will slide open.

Here's a nice one I found on GunBroker. Just a tad over my budget though! :)
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=385388285

I think the going rate on a regular Model 31 not tricked out like this one is around $350-$400-if you can find anyone willing to part with one. My Dad's is in real good shape for being almost as old as me but it's a strait field gun with no modifications.

There are quite a few that consider the 31 as the best ever. Michael McIntosh was one if I remember correctly. They are very slick shuckers. I picked up a nice 16 ga. a few years ago, and it was the easiest pumping pump I've ever pumped! This particular specimen was just too barrel-light for me and I didn't shoot it well and moved it on.

Remmy Model 31

I own a regular steel model. Not tricked up nor is it the Aluminum (L) recvr.
It is a very slick shooter.

31 REm.

I have 3. 12, 16, & 20. I like them better than my model 12. Really smooth & point nicely.

I would buy it in a flash...great action and as stated before, they point nicely. Good luck!

The 31 is/was a great pump gun but I would put a good 37 Ithaca up against it any day in the smooth department. I have shot them both plenty over the years.

Nothing is slicker and smoother then a 37.

31 Rem.

I also have a couple of 37 Ithaca's. One is a 3" & the other is 2 3/4". VERY nice carries & both are slick. Bottom ejection is a nice feature. Which is better, really hard to tell.

Love'm both.

Have several M-37-s in 12, 16, & gave nephew the 20.
Have the one Remmy 31. Like it as well as the 37-s.
Seemed to be more Ith. 37-s on the market when I was buying regularly.

model 31

can't really compare the 31 to the 12. the 31 is a stand out and the 12 was never a really good pump gun, sure, lots of them made and everybody has heard of them but that didn't make them a fine pump shotgun

cheers

can't really compare the 31 to the 12. the 31 is a stand out and the 12 was never a really good pump gun, sure, lots of them made and everybody has heard of them but that didn't make them a fine pump shotgun

cheers

You are probably going to get some arguments from this post. There is no doubt that the Remington 31 was a very fine pump shotgun but to state that the "Model 12 was never really a good pump gun", is quite a stretch. Both were excellent guns.

You are probably going to get some arguments from this post. There is no doubt that the Remington 31 was a very fine pump shotgun but to state that the "Model 12 was never really a good pump gun", is quite a stretch. Both were excellent guns.

I sure hope so, we need some excitement around here, gotta get through the next few weeks before we can go hunting. just to spice things up a bit, along with the model 12, Winchester made very few guns well and considering both design and quality, most people would have a hard time naming a standout model. do I hate Winchester, no, in fact I have 18 of their 22 pumps on my wall and I love em' but not one of them were made without serious design flaws and or cheap construction

cheers

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. So let's just leave it at that before we stir the pot. You might think we need some excitement on this site but if a thread becomes argumentative it will quickly be deleted.

I know of a lot of pheasants that think the model 12 was a pretty good gun. I just have one question. Why were there so few model 31s made if it was such a good gun? I don't doubt that they are a good gun I just wonder why the model 12 sold so many more. By the way I have 3 model 12s.

Back