Remington Model 31 Pump Shotgun

My model 1300 was a piece of yuk!

The 1300's weren't much but you can't compare them to the Model 12's. That's an apples and oranges comparison.

Model 1300

I wouldn't even dare they are from different planets. I would badge the model 12 as a great gun, also the model 101, 21, 23 and model 70 would get my vote. My dad has a model 12 in 16 and has never had an interest in anything else.

I know of a lot of pheasants that think the model 12 was a pretty good gun. I just have one question. Why were there so few model 31s made if it was such a good gun? I don't doubt that they are a good gun I just wonder why the model 12 sold so many more. By the way I have 3 model 12s.

The Model 31 required a lot of machining and hand fitting to manufacture and thus was fairly expensive to make. In order to lower production costs Remington replaced it with the Model 870 which was less expensive to manufacture.

Model 31's were made from 1931 to 1949.

I know of a lot of pheasants that think the model 12 was a pretty good gun. I just have one question. Why were there so few model 31s made if it was such a good gun? I don't doubt that they are a good gun I just wonder why the model 12 sold so many more. By the way I have 3 model 12s.

I have owned a number of mod 12's over the years, I think quality ie: production cost got to the 31, many mfg. had similar issues, win. had a bunch of them over the years and to keep in business something had to give, quality was the one that gave. by the way, the mod. 12 isn't diseased or anything. it was heavy, slide was stiff and repair wise was not trouble free. marketing had a lot to do with selling guns as in everything else and worse of all the safety on the 12 was in the wrong place and win. refused to move it. tough on the index finger, same with the mod 42. anyway, enjoy what ya have and you are right, pheasants don't care what you shoot them with. the 31 had a fairly short production life and was of course replaced with the 870, a pretty decent gun in it's own right. the mod. 12 originally came out about 1912 and was called the mod 1912. had nickel steel barrels and the bluing wouldn't stay on the gun, nickel steel marking were dropped around1930 and it became the mod 12. about 1,000,000 guns were mfg. and I believe that production stopped during the war. in 1959 win. came out with a new mod 12 called the featherweight with the serial number stamped with an F. this gun had so many changes it was hardly a mod 12. this continued till about 1964 with about 650,000 made. can hardly wait for dove season

cheers

cheers

Back