Redfield Report

MOBirds

Hey Guys,
First trip and day hunting in SD for me and my Brittany. We hit numerous public hunting options in the area, hunting hard from 10 to sundown. Had a couple buddies and another Brittany in the group. We had a great time just being in the field but unfortunately can't claim a lot of success. We found quite a few hens in about every location we hit and only one rooster which I knocked down and thanks to a good dog we got him in the bag.

We hit road ditches the last hour and had a few roosters flush outside of range but it was pretty promising for future day hunts. Thanks to all the posts giving that advice, I can see the potential.

Saw quite a few on private ground from the highways. Hoping to make some connections to get on some private ground while we're in town.

Any additional advice or suggestions for private ground access that's reasonable for the common guy is always appreciated. Thanks and good luck to those in the field!

Update - Redfield Report

Thought I would post a follow up to my initial report. Despite the low number of overall birds, we had a great time. We ended up hunting a mix of public and private after knocking on some doors and having a little luck. Editorial comment, it's worth asking around and knocking on doors if you can get on some good private ground...I realized quickly it's like whitetail hunting on public ground here in MO, it's a last resort for any of us locals.

A few highlights and pics...

Bagged my first wild pheasant, shot a pointed rooster over my pup, our group limited out a couple days, met and hunted with a UPH member PcolaGSP (Tony), and learned a ton!

Tony - it was a pleasure, thanks for all the direction, dog training advice, connection and the Habitat and time. Birds or not, hope to get together and hunt again soon.

The final numbers...3 rookie SD hunters, 2 brittany pups, 8 days = 28 roosters and 2 prairie chickens, 1 dirty truck, 2 TIRED pups, and good memories!

One picture is of me with our first limit and the other is my pup with the limit on our last day. He was so tired he wouldn't even come out of the box...:)

Heath

725 is my new go to. We hunted nearly every day from 10 to dusk and never felt like I was packing extra weight. Balanced and shot like a dream. 5 shot high v Fiocchi (manufactured just south of me in Ozark, MO btw) and the 725 were a solid combo. I got the Maxus out one day just because I felt bad not using it at least once.

Regarding the chickens, I should have mentioned, we got a tip and drove an hour and a half west of Redfield early one morning to a location just for the chickens. So, it wasn't really "near" Redfield...but worth the drive. They were chickens though, didn't get into any sharp tails.

Thanks

Had a great time hunting with you guys and your pups Heath. Holler at me next year. Look forward to seeing the progress of your pups. Glad y'all had a good last day.
Tony

Back