Recommend a good non toxic load

gostovp

For those times I need to use non tox loads next season, please recommend a good non tox load. I like the non- steel non tox's, but at 3 bucks a shell that can be pricey...not against buying those if I have to but I'd like to know of your favorite load in #2 steel as well. Thanks!

I have used the winchester blind side when i am hunting both phez and waterfowl at the same time, #2 3 in seems to work well and has 1 3/8 ounce cube shot, 1400 fps so recoil isnt a big deal and i have smoked ducks at 40+ yards when i do my part.

I like the Remington Hyper Sonic 3" 1.25oz #2's 1700fps myself or if I'm cheap. I like the Winchester Xpert 3.5" 1.25oz #2's 1625fps

I and Tbear both shoot Blackcloud only. Hunting in MN and SD and going between state and federal land it becomes a hassel to switch shells all the time so now we just shoot steel, and we love the black clouds. either 2 3/4 or 3" doesn't matter they are both very effective. Have nothing but good things to say about the product.

I and Tbear both shoot Blackcloud only. Hunting in MN and SD and going between state and federal land it becomes a hassel to switch shells all the time so now we just shoot steel, and we love the black clouds. either 2 3/4 or 3" doesn't matter they are both very effective. Have nothing but good things to say about the product.
Can I ask what size of blackcloud you guys shoot? Thanks

i like Remingtons hypersonic 3in #4s for both duck and pheasant. fastest shot on the market. anyone ever use prairie storm FS steel?

We usually shoot 4 shot all season, unless the birds are really spooky which happens in SD on a regular basis so we may move up to 3 or even 2 shot.

12-ga, 2.75”, 1 1/8 oz loads
Lead #5 Steel #3 HEVI-Metal® Pheasant #4
Pellet Count 193 172 196

Besides using them when I'm obligated to by law, but also if there is the possibility of jump shooting ducks. They are not as expensive as full non-tox loads and pattern well out of my gun/choke combo. They're also available in 20ga as well. Good luck.

Steel is steel no matter what load you use. Unfortunately, those expensive no-tox loads do work much better than steel. Regarding Hevi-Metal, don't bother. Myself and two friends tested some Hevi-Metal high-velocity 12 GA #5's in a GPA (public) unit last November on pheasants, and they did a very poor job killing birds, even as close as 30 yards. We later switched to some Kent steel 5's and even they worked better.

My favorite no-tox shells are the Hevi-Shot 1 1/4 oz #6 loads made by Remington a few years ago. I only have a few boxes left, but these kill birds like plated lead shot. However, HS must have a different formula now than what those Remmy loads used, as the new HS loads are reported to not work as well as the original........

Steel is steel no matter what load you use. Unfortunately, those expensive no-tox loads do work much better than steel. Regarding Hevi-Metal, don't bother. Myself and two friends tested some Hevi-Metal high-velocity 12 GA #5's in a GPA (public) unit last November on pheasants, and they did a very poor job killing birds, even as close as 30 yards. We later switched to some Kent steel 5's and even they worked better.

My favorite no-tox shells are the Hevi-Shot 1 1/4 oz #6 loads made by Remington a few years ago. I only have a few boxes left, but these kill birds like plated lead shot. However, HS must have a different formula now than what those Remmy loads used, as the new HS loads are reported to not work as well as the original........

Ditto that.

I still have half a box of the hevimetal, and it sux. I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too. Either use steel and accept its limitations, or pay for the premium stuff would be my advice also. The new hevishot is... okay, but I also have some of the remington hevi shot squirreled away.

A lot of guys claim they can't afford the stuff but they have several shotguns worth thousands of dollars. Rebates come out every year on hevi shot. Buy a case or 2 and it will only hurt once.

Let's hear a big AMEN to that! After all of the expenses to get to your shooting location, buying/shooting cheap hunting ammo makes no sense. It's like buying a German Weatherby MK V and putting a Tasco or Simmons scope on it.

Cheap dirty powder, crappy wads, and soft shot is not conducive to killing birds cleanly, unless you only shoot pen birds at point blank range. Besides, the ammo is the least expensive item on your list.

I will continue to use the HeviMetal loads, as earlier indicated, because it patterns well and I've killed birds with it using my Beretta. I prefer to use the Classic Doubles, especially now that I'm shooting Rem 1100's in 12 and 20 for most of my upland hunts. Its easier on the barrels, still non-tox, and it performed really well late season for me. I reckon its all personal preference, but I do make sure my gun/choke/ammo combo is the best it can be for the game I'm pursuing. Just so happens I get great results with HS stuff.

I am firm believer that steel shot works just fine, enough so that is all I shoot. I happen to prefer Federals, but have used Winchesters and Remingtons. Never had a problem with "soft shot" when it comes to steel. And I sure as hell don't shoot pen reared birds. However, I also practice in the off season and only use one gun for everything. As a good friend likes to say, shot them where the corn goes in and not where it comes out!

One more comment on steel shot, I have a good friend that shoots 80-100 big Canada geese a year with a 20 gauge and steel shot. If it will kill geese it sure as heck will kill pheasants, contrary to what Hevi-Shot, Bismuth and all the other "designer shot" makers want us to think. \

That's my two cents worth.

The soft shot comment was actually referring to soft lead not steel...However, the cheap steel loads will still have crappy/dirty powder and subpar wads.

The soft shot comment was actually referring to soft lead not steel...However, the cheap steel loads will still have crappy/dirty powder and subpar wads.

I don't know if the wads are subpar, however, I do agree some loads have dirty powder. However, shooting an over/under dirty powder isn't an issue. I will say if you cut open some of the cheap steel, you will find slag or mis shaped shot. However, birds still seem to die, it may actually help open up those tight steel patterns.

Back