Recipes for Roosters

Pheasant and wild rice. Made with my pheasant stock. Breast from 2 birds cubed. Onion,carrots and celery sautéed in olive oil. Cook till onions are reduced/starting to brown. Add 1 box uncle Ben's wild rice. Add 2 cups pheasant stock and enough water to complete. Cook as per uncle's instructions. Be just enough left over for a big bowl of soup tmrw.View attachment 2708
Good recommendation.
I made the vegetables, pheasant, stock, and rice separately, then mixed towards the end.

Attachments

• DCEE48FF-A2D4-4195-8B39-9122B4E7F66F.jpeg
    DCEE48FF-A2D4-4195-8B39-9122B4E7F66F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
Was going to blacken this pheasant but wasn't the right pan or oil for that so just fried up in olive oil ,Cajun seasoning , and added the cut up pears(canned) at the end. Stirring around in the hot pan with the pheasant. Added this to the pasta.
Another dish that I will eat leftovers as a salad. Add some fresh spinach and a little dressing. Sundried tomatoes , kalamata olives,red onion,slices of mushroom.20220109_195504.jpg

I eat a lot of pheasant as pheasant salad sandwiches. It is essentially the same as chicken salad.

I just made a batch of pheasant salad sandwich mix. I simply place the pheasant in a crock pot on the low setting with an inch of water. I allow it to cook for 3 hours.

I then cut and shred the meat. I mix with cut carrots, celery, grapes, and onion. I then add mayonnaise and mix.

Spread on bread or wrap.

I got the idea from this bit of WWII history.

Here's an easy one I also use turkey breasts. Half a turkey breast or a couple phez. Pressure cook, pull from bone and discard anything ugly. cut into small pieces. Add mayo and horse radish to taste. (more mayo than horse radish) 1/4 onion, 4 stalks celery, Swee pickle relish and jalapenos to taste celery seed, salt and pepper. Taste as you go and you'll get it where you want it. Mix up good! Sammies for a week!!

Pheasant Enchiladas....quick, easy, and with as much onions and pepper as pheasant meat.
One breast and thighs cut up makes a meal for 2.

Pheasant Rollatini

Pheasant breast fillets for people eating
Pesto sauce
Prosciutto ham slices
Provolone cheese slices
Italian bread crumbs
Egg
Olive oil
Aluminum foil

Heat oven to 350*

Place Glad wrap on large cutting board. Place cleaned pheasant breast on one side of plastic. Fold plastic over fillet. With a rolling pin or wine bottle pound out the breast even and flat. Uncover plastic from meat. Place one or two slices of Prosciutto on fillet. Place one slice of Provolone on ham. Thinly spread Pesto over cheese.

Using plastic wrap carefully roll up fillet into a cylinder. Dredge meat into beaten egg. Dredge meat completely covering with bread crumbs.

Fry in pan with olive oil until brown all over. Place meat on foil in oven at 350* for 20 minutes.

Serve hot with cheese oozing from center. Foil makes for easy clean up.

Easy and very tasty!

Pheasant Fajitas

Four Pheasant breast fillets
Bacon grease ( or oil of choice)
1 Green Bell pepper
1 Red Bell pepper
1 large Onion
1 package of Lawry's Fajita mix
Flour tortillas
Sour cream
Guacamole
Salsa

Slice fillets into strips. Slice Bell peppers and onion into strips.

Gently fry pheasant strips until cooked through but not over done or will be tough. Place meat into separate serving bowl. Saute peppers and onion in oil in same pan. Put Mix as directed in veggies. Put meat into pan with veggies cooking until sauce has thickened.

Heat tortillas on frying pan (or microwave if desired)

Place Fajita in tortilla and garnish as desired.

Another Pheasant favorite!

My wife made this recipe the other night. It was very good. Two things we thought we'd do different to improve upon it would be to dice the bacon, versus 1" squares and to either leave the cornstarch out or not simmer it as long, as the "gravy" was not as plentiful as a South Dakota boy like me would have liked. But, those are simply my $0.02.

Nothing fancy, Cream of pheasant and wild rice soup.

Boil (actual) wild rice until tender, then rinse until water is clear. Put together in stew pot with cubed pheasant, onions, carrots, celery and/or green beans...add just enough water to cover ingredients. Heat until vegges are tender (careful, carrots are sweet...may have to add more salt to balance). Mix flour, milk, and 1/2 cup 1/2&1/2, and add to pot. Simmer until liquid thickens.

I cooked up this recipe the other night and, thus far, it's easily one of the very best dishes I've eaten, pheasant or otherwise. As with most flavor dishes, it isn't hard, just a lot of steps and prep. But trust me, it is very worth it.

I don't care for frying them because I find them chewy. They taste fine? But usually too tough to enjoy that style. I always say if they were ass good as chicken....there would be farms pumping pheasants full of antibiotics and selling them in stores. But if that's how you like them? Fry them up.
My grandma would pound them flat first and then flour, dip in egg and coat in crushed saltines. Not chewy this way still kind of tenderized like a pheasant schnitzel.

I like to age them. Also like to pound them and fry them. But I prefer to use them in other ways. Also tough to age them when we are 12-20 hours from home staying in a motel

I cooked up this recipe the other night and, thus far, it's easily one of the very best dishes I've eaten, pheasant or otherwise. As with most flavor dishes, it isn't hard, just a lot of steps and prep. But trust me, it is very worth it.

So I always cook 1 pot but never take the pheasant out after cooking and fold in after the pasta,or wild rice ,is done. I tried it tonight with some pheasant and it is a better way to do it.
I cooked the pheasant in a little oil with lemon pepper ,onion powder,granulated garlic and black pepper. Cooked it till it was just done. Removed it then made fettuccine Alfredo in the pot. Added the bird back in when I was.letting the fettuccine thicken. Few kalamata olives for color/texture taste.
Simply deelish

So I always cook 1 pot but never take the pheasant out after cooking and fold in after the pasta,or wild rice ,is done. I tried it tonight with some pheasant and it is a better way to do it.
I cooked the pheasant in a little oil with lemon pepper ,onion powder,granulated garlic and black pepper. Cooked it till it was just done. Removed it then made fettuccine Alfredo in the pot. Added the bird back in when I was.letting the fettuccine thicken. Few kalamata olives for color/texture taste.
Simply deelish
It does make a difference. I don't know why, but it does.

THATS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! That looks delicious

Simply deelish
I'm confused. You say that you don't take the pheasant out after cooking, but then you said you cooked the pheasant and then removed it. What am I missing? Thanks.

I'm confused. You say that you don't take the pheasant out after cooking, but then you said you cooked the pheasant and then removed it. What am I missing? Thanks.
Yes I did write that poorly.

I meant I did as the guy does in the video recipe- cooked the pheasant , took it out and then added it back at the end.

Back