Recipes for Roosters

I breast out almost all my birds.
Cube breast meat so I get all the shot feathers out. Brown carrots onion ,celery off in olive oil or butter. Just before everything is brown I add the pheasant and stir it in. Cover it for a few minutes then wild rice mix or a pasta mix and cook as per directions. Below is a pic of some Cajun red.beans and rice I had 2 days ago. It was okay but I saved 1/2 and tonight cooked it up with some black beans and rotel tomatoes.
I use the breasted out carcasses for stock pot.
Use stock to replace some water in the aforementioned dished.
Family fave is pheasant and dumplings made using the stock and canned biscuits cut up and boiled for 5 minutes with lid off then cooked for 5 more with lid on. Can add heavy cream if you wish.
received_3133547116930193.jpeg

Bought basil, whipping cream and mushrooms tonight, forgot the cheese, hope I can find some here in town tomorrow. It will be my eveing meal tomorrow. How many pheasants are you using?

The wind was blowing this morning, no normal shots, we managed just 2 and we were happy to get those. Nice to see and hunt a new CRP project.

Here is a recipe I have made a couple times, last being this past weekend for our family Christmas dinner. It is very good. Give it a try.

I use pheasant meat in a lot of traditional chicken dishes minus any straight up "frying"
I ALWAYS brine mine. Much less dry that way.
Think pheasant and noodle soup, pheasant fajitas. Fajitas are dynamite. But honestly, I think most of mine are going in soup from now on. Might try the one Miforester posted rigt before me. That sounds good.

I am not interested but some guys from my pf group smoke the legs and thighs on their Traeger grills. They brag how darn good ,and tender,, they are.

I use pheasant meat in a lot of traditional chicken dishes minus any straight up "frying"
I ALWAYS brine mine. Much less dry that way.
Think pheasant and noodle soup, pheasant fajitas. Fajitas are dynamite. But honestly, I think most of mine are going in soup from now on. Might try the one Miforester posted rigt before me. That sounds good.
It is a very good soup HS, my last batch I used pheasant, grouse and quail breast and thigh meat. Here is what mine looked like.

pheasant soup.jpg

I am not interested but some guys from my pf group smoke the legs and thighs on their Traeger grills. They brag how darn good ,and tender,, they are.
They are very good on the smoker, I have smoked woodcock, quail, pheasant and grouse legs and thighs it they are like eating candy.

Bought basil, whipping cream and mushrooms tonight, forgot the cheese, hope I can find some here in town tomorrow. It will be my eveing meal tomorrow. How many pheasants are you using?

The wind was blowing this morning, no normal shots, we managed just 2 and we were happy to get those. Nice to see and hunt a new CRP project.
Usually two birds. Maybe three, sometimes.

Buddy from Texas often spends time around the holidays with us. There is 3 to 8 of who hunt together so we tend to bag a good # of birds which I cook. Every body in the family likes the dude and when all are together it's 20+ people from 6 months to 80.
Often have a spread of pheasant tacos , zesty stir fry(Asian Zing from BW),pheasant and wild rice,and the pheasant in dumplings.
I also make a Mediterranean salad with lemon pepper pheasant. Serve it with the still warm breast meat. If any is left , I refrigerate it and serve it the next day mixed with pasta in a light Alfredo sauce. Any left over pheasant and wild rice gets remade as soup after adding some pheasant broth.

Buddy from Texas often spends time around the holidays with us. There is 3 to 8 of who hunt together so we tend to bag a good # of birds which I cook. Every body in the family likes the dude and when all are together it's 20+ people from 6 months to 80.
Often have a spread of pheasant tacos , zesty stir fry(Asian Zing from BW),pheasant and wild rice,and the pheasant in dumplings.
I also make a Mediterranean salad with lemon pepper pheasant. Serve it with the still warm breast meat. If any is left , I refrigerate it and serve it the next day mixed with pasta in a light Alfredo sauce. Any left over pheasant and wild rice gets remade as soup after adding some pheasant broth.
LOVE IT!

Anything but flour and fry them.

Most of mine go in the crockpot as a whole bird, really no recipe I follow. Season with a different combination of whatever is on hand, paprika, garlic, onion powder, pepper, thyme, basil, etc. Put in some type of oil (italian dressing), water, or sauce base (bbq). Maybe some onions, or apples or tomatoes depending on what flavor I'm going for. Cook on low for 5-6 hours. Shred meat. Then add to any other type of meal that would have a shredded or cubed meat in it. Pastas, sandwiches, pizzas, stir frys, salad, literally anything.

Put GH's Creamy Parmesan Garlic Pheasant to the test. Used 2 birds, cut-up into a little smaller pieces, used most of a box of "small shell" pasta, half the pak of basil, half the whipping cream and half the bag of cheese. It was good, I can do it again with what I have left, just need 2 more birds (no issues there!) and a box of pasta. I think my boy and I handled half of it, that would have been about 6 good sized servings easily. Oh, I need another big pak of shooms now too.

One of our house favorites is pheasant tortilla soup.
I always put an extra bird or two in the soup to marinate and then pull them out and eat separate later.

Can't find my picture of breaded fried pheasant breasts , green beans,and pears as my Xmas dinner a few years ago.
You may have changed your mind if you had some🙂
I don't care for frying them because I find them chewy. They taste fine? But usually too tough to enjoy that style. I always say if they were ass good as chicken....there would be farms pumping pheasants full of antibiotics and selling them in stores. But if that's how you like them? Fry them up.

I AIR-fry cubed sized pieces for my favorite dish and split breast fillets for strips with chicken dipping sauce...all breaded with "chicken on the run" breading. You just can't fry pheasant very long or it is too long.

I fry breaded breast a lot in strips or cubes in a real deep fat fryer. They are just as tender as chicken and some say better tasting. We sometimes marinate them in Frank's red hot shortly before frying. We also like the Waltons pheasant taco recipe.

I don't care for frying them because I find them chewy. They taste fine? But usually too tough to enjoy that style. I always say if they were ass good as chicken....there would be farms pumping pheasants full of antibiotics and selling them in stores. But if that's how you like them? Fry them up.
Try a salt water brine and/ or marinade before cooking. Helps a lot. Don’t overcook.

Can't find my picture of breaded fried pheasant breasts , green beans,and pears as my Xmas dinner a few years ago.
You may have changed your mind if you had some🙂
Stayed at Bed and Breakfast about five years ago while hunting in South Dakota an older women was running it on our second last day she asked for some pheasant breasts and she would make us dinner that night. Fried breaded pheasant breast they were fantastic wish I would have gotten that recipe.

Pheasant and wild rice. Made with my pheasant stock. Breast from 2 birds cubed. Onion,carrots and celery sautéed in olive oil. Cook till onions are reduced/starting to brown. Add 1 box uncle Ben's wild rice. Add 2 cups pheasant stock and enough water to complete. Cook as per uncle's instructions. Be just enough left over for a big bowl of soup tmrw.received_699331361058596.jpeg

Back