Recipes for Roosters

I saw a recipe in the last PH Journal, if I remember right, I think it showed the "prep-time" as 3-4 HOURS and a laundry list of ingredients...I hope it is the best pheasant you have ever eaten. Maybe not a big thing for "cooks" which I am certainly not. I will stick with my quick and easy, but delicious pheasant "ala-king" type of thing.

I saw a recipe in the last PH Journal, if I remember right, I think it showed the "prep-time" as 3-4 HOURS and a laundry list of ingredients...I hope it is the best pheasant you have ever eaten. Maybe not a big thing for "cooks" which I am certainly not. I will stick with my quick and easy, but delicious pheasant "ala-king" type of thing.

Some cold, snowy, winter day, you need to gather up all the ingredients and prep one of those over the top recipes. I could live on jerky and water and have no problem eating anything, but there's something to be said about "gourmet" cooking. It isn't hard, just time consuming and demanding attention to detail.

GH, I cooked one you posted last year, it has fresh basil, heavy cream maybe and a pile of mushrooms. It had a few items we wouldn't normally have around, but that was very good, but quite "rich" for my system. Not sure if it was the whipping cream or the mushrooms. My bird hunting buddy cooks much more than I and I often give him the excuse for not doing something like this as, "I am already hungry when I start cooking, and I don't want to wait an hour to eat". I don't get too excited about cooking....I like the hunting and gathering more.

3 to 4 hours of prep time...I would need a sandwich during that time!

I'd guess the heavy whipping cream. As I play around with different recipes, I've found that I don't need to use quite as much heavy whipping cream. If the recipe calls for 2 cups of heavy cream, I'll go with 1 cup Chicken Broth and 1 cup Heavy Cream. Flavor is still great and it isn't so rich.

Maybe you could gently slide those recipes over to your buddy and offer to help him with dishes. :)

I have fallen into a great appetizer receipe for pheasant bites. Cut the breast into chunks, mix those in with your favorite meat rub, wrap each bite with a 1/2 slice of bacon, the toss on the Traeger (insert grill here) at 225-250 for about 30min a side. Cook until the bacon is done.

my last pheasant dish was faisan au vin; that is, pheasant cooked in wine french style. i used a traditional french recipe for chicken cooked in wine (coq au vin) and cooked the bird about six hours in a slow cooker. variations of coq au vin recipes are all over the internet. i used julia childs's recipe because she spied for the allies in WWII.

Another good cooking method is pheasant marsala. I follow a chicken marsala recipe and cut the breast into strips. Meat is moist and tender.

Although I have not tried it, a chicken recipe calling for pounding the meat before cooking, such as chicken parmesan, I think would work very well with pheasant.

I always brine pheasant for a day before cooking. getting rid of the blood from wounds eliminates bitterness from the blood minerals, particularly iron.
Ohh la la

If you can make it with chicken, you can make it with pheasant.

Just have to be aware that pheasant quickly gets tough and flavorless if overcooked. So watch your heat and time and reduce accordingly.

In camp we've done all sorts of stuff. Pheasant Cordon Bleu, Pheasant Parmagiana, Sweet & Sour Pheasant....like chicken, the list is endless.

57C119E4-BB5B-46F8-A3CF-A3C99D53D089.jpeg2535AFEB-B14E-4E55-9F12-D07433C6FD23.jpeg2939AAA6-114A-4C0F-8732-5BEA4CB15C91.jpeg

The outfit we hunt with served us some pheasant soup (probably more of a chowder than a soup) about 7 years ago and sent us with the recipe.

This year was the first time I tried to make it myself. It did not disappoint!

If you can make it with chicken, you can make it with pheasant.

Just have to be aware that pheasant quickly gets tough and flavorless if overcooked. So watch your heat and time and reduce accordingly.

In camp we've done all sorts of stuff. Pheasant Cordon Bleu, Pheasant Parmagiana, Sweet & Sour Pheasant....like chicken, the list is endless.
Everything that Chestle said and more.💪💪

I used the leftovers from some of our smoked pheasant and made a Pheasant Tetrazzini, which the family really enjoyed.

Back