Recipes for Roosters

New one I tried this past week is Thai Pad Prik King w/ pheasant breast.

Basically a drier curry with green beans and red chilis. Super easy if you use pre-made curry sauce.

I've done a number of batches of "White Chicken chilli" with pheasants this year and people really love it. I've used Wee Willy's "White chicken chili" starter kit and it is two thumbs up. I've been asked by at least 5 people for the recipe.

https://www.cub.com/sm/pickup/rsid/...ys-chili-starter-white-chicken-00857699000572
White Chili is my go-to with my pheasants:

6 breasts, cubed
1/2 cup onion, chopped
Heat a tbsp or two of olive oil in your pot and brown pheasant & onion

Add 14 oz. chicken broth, 1 can of chopped or diced green chiles, 1 tsp of garlic powder, 1 tsp of cumin, 1/2 tsp oregano, 1/4 tsp of cayenne, and half a bunch of chopped cilantro (or more/less as you wish). Simmer 15-20 minutes.

Add 1 can of white kidney beans (cannellini), undrained. Simmer another 5-10 minutes.

Top bowls with Monterey jack cheese and tortilla chips crumbled. Green onion is good on top too if desired.

Pretty easy and foolproof.

Brined for 24 hours, smoked on a very low heat, basted with favorite sauce. Took over two hours to get cooked but very tender and moist. Texture was a little funky but maybe one of my new ways to cook phez. I thought the thighs tasted the best in this process

I like to age them. Also like to pound them and fry them. But I prefer to use them in other ways. Also tough to age them when we are 12-20 hours from home staying in a motel
We have about a 9 hour drive one way and stay in a motel. I started bringing a dorm fridge and hanging (or with any luck cramming it full) my birds in it in the room. I don't clean any of them until I get back home, unless they are shot up. Never had any spoilage. My buddies gave me a lot of shit at first but after trying some aged birds they have gone silent. Started out trying this but quickly ran out of roomIMG_20211205_202357175.jpg
I like to age them. Also like to pound them and fry them. But I prefer to use them in other ways. Also tough to age them when we are 12-20 hours from home staying in a motel

I’m a huge pressure cooker fan. I’ll take my bone-in breasts or thighs/legs and brown them in a little bacon grease and throw in the pressure cooker with a little chicken stock.
The meat falls off the bones and tendons using just a fork. I’ll use the meat in just about any poultry recipe/ dish.

Two recipes: 1st.) Creamed pheasant on toast. Just make a cream sauce add phez. and put over toast.
2nd.) cut phez breast into bitesize cubes. Dredge in Italian breadcrumbs, and fry in olive oil.

Back