Recipes for Roosters

Birdman2

Here goes with mine. First brine the Roosters with Kosher Salt for 24 hours. Remove birds, rinse then put them in baggie for 24 hours with Soy Sauce and Minced Garlic, and pineapple juice. Then cut meat off the chest bone, wrap in bacon. Important Note here: Cook bacon halfway before wrapping birds. This way bacon and birds are done at the same time. I also put some Pineapple rings on the grill with the Roosters. Cook on Charcoal Fire. Very Hot turning a bunch. Cook till medium rare to medium with a just a hint of pink left in the meat. Try it. The brining seems to really help with moisture in the bird.

Last edited:
sounds good and Hawaiian with that pineapple

my last pheasant dish was faisan au vin; that is, pheasant cooked in wine french style. i used a traditional french recipe for chicken cooked in wine (coq au vin) and cooked the bird about six hours in a slow cooker. variations of coq au vin recipes are all over the internet. i used julia childs's recipe because she spied for the allies in WWII.

Another good cooking method is pheasant marsala. I follow a chicken marsala recipe and cut the breast into strips. Meat is moist and tender.

Although I have not tried it, a chicken recipe calling for pounding the meat before cooking, such as chicken parmesan, I think would work very well with pheasant.

I always brine pheasant for a day before cooking. getting rid of the blood from wounds eliminates bitterness from the blood minerals, particularly iron.

Last edited:
Here is my favorite. I use a can of cream of mushroom soup, have tried others and to my surprise, mushroom is my favorite. In a deep skillet, medium heat, I add the soup and most of a can of water. I am not much of a cook, so I use a "bag" of white or brown rice, once cooked, add to the skillet. I then cook a packet of flavored rice (Knorr, a dollar at HyVee or Dollar General) any flavor and add that to the skillet once cooked. While this is going on, I use one full filleted pheasant breast & thighs (fresh or frozen, a great way to use the thigh meat), I cut the meat into smaller chucks, about as big as the end of your finger to the first knuckle (you will seldom miss a shot doing this also). Once chunked, I bread the meat in "chicken on the run" breading, flour or whatever you might have will work. Fry the breaded meat, I air-fry for 8 minutes, pan-fry is fine too (my wife HATES the smell after frying food) no need to over cook. Add to the soup and rice and cook until the consistancy is to your liking add a little water if too thick. I do add a few shakes of cayenne pepper to put a little heat in mine. Enjoy!

Shit on a shingle. Exchange dried beef for pheasant. Usually make 6 breast per batch. Melt half stick of butter. Half cup flour. Add milk. Stir constantly. Add in cooked/shredded bird tits. Enjoy over toast. Quick easy

i remember as a kid choking down SOS many times haha

Last edited:
Pheasant supreme serves 2
1 pheasant
1 can cream mushroom soup per directions Add 1 can water
1 can cream celery soup - half can water
1/2 -1 lb mushrooms
black pepper to taste
dry white wine 1/4 cup or to taste pinot grigio is adequate
Crock or steam pheasant 35-1 hr or until meat is cooked through
debone and cut into bite size pieces.
simmer 30-40 min. add wine at very end to taste may require less then 1/4 cup
serve over rice. Can be thickened with rice flour and served over noodles. recipe is subjective to taste more pheasant, shrooms, and wine?

This one is very popular in Camp with both hunters and hosts.

Pheasant Florentine Style​

Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 25 min
Serves: 4 people

Ingredients/Shopping list:

6 filleted half pheasant breasts (one side of breast), skinless, boneless, feathers and shot removed
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
½ cup flour for dredging pheasant
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
2 tablespoons sliced shallots (green onions or onion if you can't find shallots)
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
3 cups dry white wine
2 cups whipping cream
2 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
3 (10-ounce) packages fresh spinach, stems removed (frozen cut-leaf spinach, thawed, drained if you can't find fresh) You may want more spinach; it goes fast with the sauce on it.
6 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
Garlic powder
Onion powder

Before you even start, carefully wash the breast halves getting all pinfeathers and blood clots out. Probe shot holes with a knife tip and remove any embedded shot or feathers. Set meat on paper towel over old newspaper to drain.

Preheat oven to your lowest “warm” setting.

Use a heavy pan or meat tenderizer to pound the pheasant breast to a roughly even thickness, hitting both sides. The idea is to have the breast cook evenly.

In a Pyrex dish or cake pan, season the flour with salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. You want to taste the flavoring but don’t overdo it.

Lightly sprinkle the pheasant with salt and pepper. Dredge the pheasant in the flour to coat lightly. Shake off any excess flour. Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add the pheasant and cook until brown, about 3-4 minutes per side. Transfer the pheasant to a Pyrex dish and transfer to the warm oven. You’ll probably have to cook three halves at a time. Add a bit more butter for the second three if necessary.

After the pheasant are cooked, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in the same skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and sauté until the shallots are translucent, stirring to scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the skillet, about 1-3 minutes. Add the wine. Increase the heat to medium-high and boil until the liquid is reduced by half, about 3-5 minutes. Add the cream and boil until the sauce reduces by half, stirring often, about 3-5 minutes. Taste the sauce; if it has a strong alcohol/wine taste, boil it some more to get the alcohol out; it should have a light to medium wine component. Stir in the parsley. Season the sauce, to taste, with salt and pepper. Add the pheasant and any accumulated juices to the sauce and turn the pheasant to coat in the sauce; cook another 3 minutes.

While the sauce is reducing, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in another large skillet over medium heat. Add the spinach and sauté until wilted or heated through. Season the spinach, to taste, with salt and pepper. Arrange the spinach over a platter. Place the pheasant atop the spinach. Pour the sauce over, sprinkle each one with a tablespoon of Parmesan and serve immediately.

Here's an easy one that I make in the crock pot. It references wild turkey but I've only done it with pheasant breasts. At least 3 birds worth. As a disclaimer, skip the biscuits on top as they don't cook up right. Do em in the oven and put em on top when they're done or on the side. I also will cut up a potato or 2 to add a little more to it.

Here's mine, family likes it

Pheasant Pot Pie

2 – Pie Crust Pillsbury
1 – Can of Cream of Potato Soup (10.5 oz)
1 - Can of Cream of Chicken Soup (10.5 oz)
1 - Can (15oz) of Mixed Vegetables (drained)
2 -3 Cooked (boiled) Pheasant Breast cut into small pieces
1/3 Cup Milk
¼ tsp. thyme leaves
¼ Cup of flour
Pepper to taste
Preheat Oven to 375
Place one crust in 9” pie plate
In large bowl mix all ingredients together and spoon into crust lined pan. Top with second crust and seal edges and crimp. Cut several slits in several places in top crust. Brush top crust with milk or melted butter.
Bake 50-65 minutes until top crust is a golden brown. Let cool for 15-20 minutes.
If I'm making two of them I'll throw a half of can of cream of mushroom in each one.
Have a Veterinarian that lives across the street who loves it and he always request one when ever he see's me come home with pheasants.

Hang bird for 4-6 days. Pluck. Brine is desired but if you do, dry it and allow to sit uncovered in refridge for 24 hrs to dry the skin.
Salt and pepper bird inside and out. Rub softened butter all over bird.
Roast in 425 degree oven for 20-30min. lower heat to 325 and cook until done 9approx 15 min.
Allow bird to rest for at least 15 minutes.

if you have never had properly hung roasted pheasant, you really aren't a pheasant hunter!

Hang bird for 4-6 days. Pluck. Brine is desired but if you do, dry it and allow to sit uncovered in refridge for 24 hrs to dry the skin.
Salt and pepper bird inside and out. Rub softened butter all over bird.
Roast in 425 degree oven for 20-30min. lower heat to 325 and cook until done 9approx 15 min.
Allow bird to rest for at least 15 minutes.

if you have never had properly hung roasted pheasant, you really aren't a pheasant hunter!
Funny you mention hanging of the birds. I keep my birds cool for 3-4 days with all insides still intact. It really makes a difference. Been doing that for 15+ years.

All season, I have been saving the legs and thighs from the pheasants I bagged.

I thawed them last night.

This morning, I mixed the leg/thigh meat with cheap pork, I ground it and made about 18 to 20 lbs of breakfast sausage.

I fried up a patty to taste test and it was great. The bulk is sitting in the fridge overnight. I will package and freeze it tomorrow.

I started "aging" my birds based on the ability to procrastinate cleaning at a suggestion from a friend of mine. I don't see much of a difference in taste. The meat is more tender, but I still prefer the same day supper with some fresh pheasant on the plate.

Golden, I understand. To each his own.. When I age and brine mine they are so tender and moist they are crazy good. Had some Saturday with friends that had never had Pheasants. They wanted to know when I was going to hunt some more. Lol

GH, nice to see you using the thigh meat, so many throw that away. I just can't understand not keeping that meat. From the field to the frying pan! I will give it a try sometime. Thanks for taking the time to make a video of the process, it does look good!. Going to head-out shortly to hunt on an invitation with a friend from the local PF chapter, might have to keep a couple out of the freezer and try your dish sooner than later....assuming I get a couple!

GH, nice to see you using the thigh meat, so many throw that away. I just can't understand not keeping that meat. From the field to the frying pan! I will give it a try sometime. Thanks for taking the time to make a video of the process, it does look good!. Going to head-out shortly to hunt on an invitation with a friend from the local PF chapter, might have to keep a couple out of the freezer and try your dish sooner than later....assuming I get a couple!
Hope you managed to bag a few. Personally, I think it is just an incredible dish. One a guy can make for those folks who typically turn their nose up at the notion of game.

Back