Question on Side by sides

bones

I use an old Mossberg 835 with a 24" barrel; it's my everything gun. From ducks to doves, bunnies and squirrels. It ain't pretty, but it is highly effective with the modified choke in. Espeacially good on ducks.

Looking into saving up for a CZ-USA Bobwhite. Does anyone know anything about them, would it be a wise investment, or are there other reasonable priced side by sides. I like shoutguns that are o/o and not o/u. I know it's a lot pricier but I can hold out for a deal.

I have heard good & bad reports on the CZ's. I have a couple of Stevens 311's. A 12 & a 16. Took the pistol grip off the 16 to make it straight stock & a little lighter. Refinished the stock, & added a Limbsaver recoil pad. Plan is to use it for pheasants this fall. Bought them both off of Gunbroker for a little more than $300. Kinda fun project. Good luck.

I own 2 cz shotguns. A redhead o/u and a ringneck sxs. I've ran approximately 2500 rounds through the o/u in 3 years and about 700 through the sxs. No malfunctions on either gun ever and the fit and finish is very nice on my guns for the price. I am thinking about adding a 410 to the mix and if I do it will be the bobwhite.

My go-to shotgun for 30 years has been an AYA 20ga Matador II. Imp/Mod, selective single trigger, vent rib, auto eject, 26 in. If you can find one used, you won't be disappointed.

These days, with the shortage of birds, I've given myself one shot with a single shot. Lighter, and I keep on telling myself that if I don't hit it with the first shot, I shouldn't have shot. Often frustrating, but, as I hunt deer for meat, I hunt pheasant for the dog work, don't need the birds to have food.

but that's just me.

CZ is made by Huglo, they are Turkish guns. I think that they are generally regarded as one of the better Turkish gun makers. For a field gun they should be just fine. Not really too much to go wrong on one. I have a friend that owns a bobwhite 20 gauge, i have shot it a few times....probably the best bang for the buck quality on the market currently, fit and finish is decent and choke tubes are nice....They are also built to scale which makes it a proper 20 gauge weight wise.

Quality shouldn't be an issue, but plan on some time at the range, the difference in handling and sight plane is going to be an adjustment. Some people never overcome the side x side sight plane, especially with a swamped rib. Raised rib not so big a deal. I grew up shooting 1100 autoloaders, moved on to vintage doubles. I have shot with great skill at times with doubles and with complete hopelessness on other ocassions with doubles. In doubles it depends very much on the gun. The 835 has a really long receiver, any double has a very short receiver, length of pull in a double needs to be longer to approximate the same sight plane you are used to. I would advise shooting some before I made my choice. The afore mentioned AYA 20ga Matador II with vent rib, will give you good length of pull, if unaltered, and the rib on any double will help to naturally acquire the proper sight plane. Welcome to the double club, it's addictive. I succumb every time I find a 5# 20ga.

For a inexpensive good SxS look at the Fox BSE SxS. They have single trigger and auto ejectors with non selective barrel's.

I know little about the CZ, Goldeneye shoots one and likes it very much.

I use an old Mossberg 835 with a 24" barrel; it's my everything gun. From ducks to doves, bunnies and squirrels. It ain't pretty, but it is highly effective with the modified choke in. Espeacially good on ducks.

Looking into saving up for a CZ-USA Bobwhite. Does anyone know anything about them, would it be a wise investment, or are there other reasonable priced side by sides. I like shoutguns that are o/o and not o/u. I know it's a lot pricier but I can hold out for a deal.

get a single trigger version. bobwhite is double trigger. for a few $ more you could get a browning bss....;)

get a single trigger version.

Don't listen, he knows not the error that he speaks. You wouldn't date a woman with just one......errr, nevermind.

I frequent another hunting forum and a recent discussion was CZ sxs's. As mentioned earlier, they're made by Huglu to CZ's specs. They're a solid gun without some of the finer fluff on some of the higher dollar guns.

Myself, I am debating on getting a CZ for immediate gratification, or holding out for a higher dollar gun, that in all likelyhood won't perform any better.

Don't listen, he knows not the error that he speaks. You wouldn't date a woman with just one......errr, nevermind.

I frequent another hunting forum and a recent discussion was CZ sxs's. As mentioned earlier, they're made by Huglu to CZ's specs. They're a solid gun without some of the finer fluff on some of the higher dollar guns.

Myself, I am debating on getting a CZ for immediate gratification, or holding out for a higher dollar gun, that in all likelyhood won't perform any better.

double triggers suck thats just CHEESY i bet you drive a prius...get with the 21 century. browning over a cz hands down. :D

Well someone has to stand up for double triggers....with a little practice having a separate trigger for each barrel comes handy. And according to the gunsmith that I use they are easier to repair and will give less problems long term. Besides, sis guns are supposed to have two triggers....its the proper way...birds don't hold for single triggers

double triggers suck thats just CHEESY i bet you drive a prius...get with the 21 century. browning over a cz hands down. :D

Driving a Prius is about like shooting a SXS with only one trigger. Very Limited. :)

Growing up dad had a cheapy SXS with double triggers, I loved that gun. He shot so much at the skeet range with it, the cheapness wore through and the action became loose. We both each now only have one double, both Beretta O/U's. I'm always wishing it had double trigggers so I could choose which choke to use instantly. Even as a kid the double trigger thing wasn't an issue for me, shooting back to front or front to back wasn't difficult, never caused any issues.

Well someone has to stand up for double triggers....with a little practice having a separate trigger for each barrel comes handy. And according to the gunsmith that I use they are easier to repair and will give less problems long term. Besides, sis guns are supposed to have two triggers....its the proper way...birds don't hold for single triggers

Yeah, there ought to be a law....:D

Double triggers are the fasted selectable barrel and choke that has ever been made, period. How many times has anyone here actually selected the barrel to fire first, especially in walk up upland hunting. Maybe 1 time out of 100 with a selectable sxs, Basically because all the selectors I have, push bolt on the trigger, or toggle on the safety, all either require an unnatural motion, or are somewhat tempermental about just the right spot. I will slide my finger back and shoot the back trigger about 4 times as often. Add to the fact that single selective triggers are sophisticated, hard to work on and troublesome. As for Browning, I assume you realize that we are talking side by sides, not O/U's here! The only sxs Browning ever made, was made in either Japan or Korea, and ceased production probably 20 years ago! A great number of which were made with single non-selective triggers, an abomination in my opinion which makes double triggers pale in comparison. Anybody can master a double trigger.

Double triggers are the fasted selectable barrel and choke that has ever been made, period. How many times has anyone here actually selected the barrel to fire first, especially in walk up upland hunting. Maybe 1 time out of 100 with a selectable sxs, Basically because all the selectors I have, push bolt on the trigger, or toggle on the safety, all either require an unnatural motion, or are somewhat tempermental about just the right spot. I will slide my finger back and shoot the back trigger about 4 times as often. Add to the fact that single selective triggers are sophisticated, hard to work on and troublesome. As for Browning, I assume you realize that we are talking side by sides, not O/U's here! The only sxs Browning ever made, was made in either Japan or Korea, and ceased production probably 20 years ago! A great number of which were made with single non-selective triggers, an abomination in my opinion which makes double triggers pale in comparison. Anybody can master a double trigger.

mine have select triggers. might as well have over /unders with double triggers too.:rolleyes: I just made a commit to the fellow asking about shotguns. Didnt expect to have you fellers gang up on me . such a friendly bunch....And yes I am not retarded, I know the differance between o/u and sxs. believe it or not i have several of each and they be brownings dont ya know .. some browning sxs were assemble in korea, the parts were made in japan. they stopped making bss in 1987. gold trigger models are select trigger/barrel , silver trigger non select.

Last edited:

someone had to stand up for double triggers???What is a sis guns? are they for sissys? Get a quality shotgun and you wont need a gunsmith. Birds dont hold for single triggers?What the heck does that mean? You seem very confused ;)

Last edited:
Double Trigger SxS's are SEXY as Hell:thumbsup: Just ask my grandfather.

I shoot a CZ SxS I like it the gun has been good to me. I put a Pack Mar butt pad on, Shell holder and swivels for a sling.

march2010016.jpg

If the birds don't hold for your single trigger learn to shoot faster:D

IMAG0150.jpg

Works on Geese also.:cheers: Just ask my wife

hunting2010016.jpg

I have a used one. When I bought it, the sear was out-of-adjustment/bent & the safety wouldn't block the front trigger. I called CZ, sent it in & they repaired it for no charge. Sweet gun; the Kids and I shot lots of clays with it over the Summer (or, in my case, shot AT lots of clays. Thought I had clays figured-out when I went 20-for-20 . . . then I learned you were supposed to shoot them in the air . . . ). The Bobwhite is a fine shotgun & a good value; I'd have no problem buying another CZ (I have 2) & being an old relic, I like double triggers. That being said, I shoot my O/U shotguns a bit better.

Amen brother!

Another great gun to consider is the Ithaca sxs series by SKB. They felt trimmer and faster to my than teh BSS, and used about same price as teh CZs I've seen.

Back