Puppy Problems

-Wildcat-

Super Moderator
This new pup is a huge fan of chewing on her tail while in the crate during the day... so much so that I'm not certain it'll really grow back. I put apple bitters on it every day to no avail. I've also been putting some MTG horse conditioner on every other day, but if she keeps chewing it, what's the point...

Anyone ever put No Chew on a dog? Meant to keep horses from chewing on stables, so I'm thinking it might be too hot to put on skin. Any other recommendations? This pup is awfully pretty, with the exception of her rat tail. I personally think the breeder left the tail way too long, but that's another discussion entirely. Thanks in advance!

Congrats on the new pup!

Don't know what to do about the tail, but a tail can never be too long to a setter guy.:thumbsup:

Oh I know! Thanks Steve, she's really not so 'new' now... will be 11 mos old on the 27th, but still 100% piss and vinegar! She's coming along nicely, but this damn tail is driving me bonkers!

Spike some tabasco with red pepper for a day or two. Then back off the red pepper ...maybe even water down the tabasco. Don't know , might just make it itch.

Try Obtundia (sp). I have heard it was discontinued though.

Separation Anxiety I presume. She has to be in her crate during the day, or the house would be destroyed. Thinking about adding a second pup to help, but the girlfriend isn't buying it... :D

Sounds like anxiety or boredom problem.

I would have to almost guarantee that this is the issue.

the ole saying goes like this "an idle mind is the devil's playground"

I would maybe discuss this with your Vet as they likely have seen this kind of behavior before and may have some advice that will work. If she chews that tail to the point of breaking open the skin then you have the risk of infections.

Have you thought about a kennel run that allows the dog to stretch her legs and move around some?

Chew toys that are safe?

She has tons of toys to chew on in her crate... and yep, there are bare spots on her tail. I might try the hot sauce.. maybe juice from a habenero. Vet recommended chew guard or no chew as it were, but it says to avoid contact with the skin, so I doubt that would be a good idea.

Yeah, the anxiety thing behavior.

One possible occasional solution, but one I'd prefer not to use, is something like Dramamine or benedryl before you go out for a few days, just to relieve the stress the pup is feeling.

I never did it, but I've heard of folks training their dogs with treats AND a special plush toy. Each successful retrieve, or command response, would get a bit of liver or whatever, and then the dog would be allowed to hold the toy for a few seconds. Eventually, the toy would be associated with reward and good times. In the crate, giving the toy had the effect of settling the pup down when the trainer left.

Been a long time, but the guy said it worked. Part of that could be the dog just got older and more accustomed to the life pattern. Dunno.

Best wishes.

She's been in her crate since day one... I'd hope she would have learned by now that we do come back, but I sometimes hear her whining if I'm slow getting out of the garage. Now it's more of a conditioned behavior, like when someone chews on their nails when they're nervous. Can't believe the apple bitters aren't hot enough though, that crap is nasty! I'll try some of the suggestions.

If you're out in the pheasant fields of KS, and see a small liver shorthair with a rat tail, it's likely me and my pup.

Back